Spectrum

2,444 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by oldvalleyrat
oldvalleyrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have had my internet service with TWC for years and have for the most part been happy. I have the "Extreme" speed of 30 MB and I pay about $85 a month. I have received several letters about upgrading my service with Spectrum. They say that they will upgrade to 60 MB and it is $29.95. I DO NOT have telephone service or TV as part of my plan.

I called them yesterday. Talked to a young man and he said the $29.95 price for the upgrade to internet was contingent on getting the entire package. He did say that I could get the internet upgrade for about $60. Since that is still cheaper I decided to go with it anyway. He tried to send the upgrade to my home and said that my modem was not fast enough and that they would send out someone today to replace the modem for no charge.

I sure hope that I haven't made a mistake in doing this. Have any of you gone through this and have have any observations?
Aggietaco
AG
Shouldn't be much of an issue, just sounds like you haven't kept up on current speed and price offerings until now. Is your current modem being leased through TWC/Spectrum? This is typically a $5/mo charge reflected on your bill. If so, you have the option of purchasing a modem yourself, skipping the rental, and having your speeds upgraded. Replacing a modem is easy as plug and play and then you activate it either online or by calling customer support.

And yes, it looks like the $29.95 price is only if you bundle phone, TV, and data ($89.85/mo).
AggieBob08
AG
I get internet only at $39.99 for 100mbs from Spectrum.

Spectrum Internet
No data caps with fast internet speeds

• Speeds up to 100 Mbps
  • No data caps - unlimited usage
Click Details for more...

$39.99/mo
Aggie_3
I just switched my internet to spectrum about 5 minutes ago, as I will be getting 100mbps speeds in New Braunfels instead of the 24 im getting with ATT and the best part is im only going to be paying 48.00 a month rather than the 85 im paying to ATT. Also im paying just for Internet so my price started at 39.99 for 100 mbps and if I wanted 300mbps which is available in my area as well it would be 79.99

I will let everyone know an update once its installed tomorrow at 5pm
Aggie_3
Anyone on here have it yet?
Aggietaco
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Anyone on here have it yet?
TWC/Spectrum intarwebs? Yes.
Matsui
AG
YEs. 100 mb speeds. Love it
Artorias
AG
Im in Austin area, and the 100mb plan is $59.99. Not sure if that is because I am an existing user, and the $39.99 is new users only, or if Austin prices are just higher.
Aggie_3
New users only and good deal tech just got here ready for some blazing fast internet
Aggietaco
AG
mugwurt said:

Im in Austin area, and the 100mb plan is $59.99. Not sure if that is because I am an existing user, and the $39.99 is new users only, or if Austin prices are just higher.
I pay $52.33 after taxes and fees and have for the past few years after a price bump from $4X.XX. I hope that doesn't change with the Spectrum ownership, but it sounds like you need to call and negotiate.
Absolute
AG
I'm in Dallas. Have the 200/20. Think it is 59 a month. Signed up in the spring.

No complaints at all. Cannot really tell a difference from the fios 75/75 I had previously (before Frontier screwed it up.}
Aggie_3
All I can say is HOLY CRAP this speed is amazing it is blowing what I had out of the water! It took me 1 1/2 hours to download battlefield 1 on my PS4 when it would have taken all day with my ATT!
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Does anyone know if 300mb for $89.99 plus phone and tv is the best deal they have? I feel like it is but damn it's still a lot. I'm in Austin btw.
TecRecAg
AG
I'm on 150/150 Frontier for 74.99/mo. No TV or phone.

If Spectrum really is that great, I may give it a look when my contract runs out.
CoolAggie
AG
For those with 100Mbps, which wifi router do you use? TIA.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Cannot really tell a difference from the fios 75/75 I had previously

I now have the 200 and had the 25 with FIOS. I can't say I tell a LOT of difference, though the speed tests get me between 160 and 190. Not sure I do a whole of stuff that requires a constant 200. I've only had it since July and haven't done a lot of file downloads.
aggieforester05
AG
My cablelynx is$ 130/month for 100mbps and 1TB data with $15/50GB for overages for reference. These person who created the data cap/overage model can DIAF for all I care.
Aggie_3
CoolAggie said:

I'm just using their modem which doubles as a router and it's outstanding
jay040
Could someone who has Spectrum for TV take a picture of their channel guide / UI?
aggieforester05
AG
CoolAggie said:

A crappy netgear router that was a total waste of money. It is only 1 year old but has similar performance to the underwhelming tiny travel router I bought in 2011.
zip04
AG
I use AT&T's new fiber GigaPower ($90/month for 1 GB/sec). I know I won't ever actually see that speed based on my own network limitations, but it is great when I have 4 kids streaming different things, my wife and I streaming tv or me playing a video game, etc. and do not have any hiccups or slow down at all.
Aggie_3
That's cool and all but yesterday I turned on all 4 Tvs with rokus plugged in and streamed Netflix and Hulu on them and watch espn on my iPad. I didn't have a single hiccup it was blazing fast on my spectrum
jopatura
AG
Just FYI if you had any old plans under TWC, run a speed test to make sure you're getting what you are paying for. We had the 200/20 plan through TWC and our speed test was clocking in at 100/10. When we called them, they said they could only push 100 or 300. They gave us some credit on our account and adjusted us to the 100/10 price point going forward.
ExPLK
AG
jopatura said:

Just FYI if you had any old plans under TWC, run a speed test to make sure you're getting what you are paying for. We had the 200/20 plan through TWC and our speed test was clocking in at 100/10. When we called them, they said they could only push 100 or 300. They gave us some credit on our account and adjusted us to the 100/10 price point going forward.
It has been a complete nightmare since TWC switched to Spectrum. For the last two weeks the signal has dropped every day (literally every day). We haven't had a solid connection in over two weeks. The technician came out on Saturday and told me that the external lines were screwed up and the signals being sent in were above the tolerable levels, which was causing the intermittent issues. He said that the "external line guys" would be coming later that day to fix it. Several calls later that day and yesterday yielded a guarantee from Specturm that they would be there today to resolve the issue. All this is to say, I am seriously considering dropping them as my provider. Couple the numerous hours spent dealing with their incompetent customer service team and the Mrs. constantly complaining that the internet isn't working and my tolerance is all but tapped out.

The technician did confirm the 100 and 300 plan. He said they did away with the 200 plan (as you suggested) and were going to be adding a 400 plan, in the near future. I am on the 100/10 plan and pay $60 for it, for reference.
oldvalleyrat
AG
Wow! Sorry that you have had so much trouble with the Spectrum. I have always disliked the service of TWC. They have left me hanging on more than one occasion. On one occasion the neighbors backed over the cable box and it took them 2-3 weeks to get it working again. I was real worried about this change.

I did call them and have them upgrade my service up to 60. They reduced my cost from $80 to $65 and improved the speed from 40 to 60. Seemed like a good deal to me. I realize that in the cities you have much faster speeds available but this is what I could get. The guy that I talked to on the phone was perplexed why I wouldn't move my phone and TV as well for $90. I told him that although the internet value is the best for me, the service of TWC was the worst I had ever run into and I didn't want that much of my service depending on one company...especially TWC.

Since they upgraded, they came out and gave me a new router (no cost) and I have had 100% service. I have checked the speed on several sites and they all agree that the speed is 60 or better.

I suppose if someone asked I would give a pretty good recommendation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.