Pi Emulator or NES Classic Edition?

8,523 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Charlie Delta
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still have a functioning toploader NES with a library of close to 100 games layimg around. I dont see the allure of this "new" console when you can emulate for free.
gravy97
AG
If you search 'free roms' you may find a site that is just that... for loads of old games on loads of systems... With the raspberry pi, you also can add old atari roms (and other systems i'm sure, but I haven't tried others yet) and when you plug in your Pi, they start up the atari emulator and they play with no extra work. legit old old school style... so if you want to step even further back and play a little Pitfall....
Aggietaco
AG
Cromagnum said:

I still have a functioning toploader NES with a library of close to 100 games layimg around. I dont see the allure of this "new" console when you can emulate for free.
Downloading roms of games online without owning an original copy or with consent from the publisher is still theft. Purchasing the NES version is not.
chipotle
Aggietaco said:

Cromagnum said:

Downloading roms of games online without owning an original copy or with consent from the publisher is still theft. Purchasing the NES version is not.
gravy97
AG
I used to own and Atari 2600 and Pitfall... so my conscience is clear
Al Bula
AG
lol I have every NES and SNES game in ROM format. Bought a USB SNES controller on Amazon for less than 10 bucks. I load these up on my surface and play Nintendo on business flights.

Can't imagine buying a console and sitting around the house and playing.
Wildmen03
AG
I bought an HP Windows tablet a while back and loaded it up with ROMs, I have NES and SNES USB controllers that travel with it. A whole lot of fun in a portable system.
BCG Disciple
AG
Anyone know how/where I can get an emulator side loaded to an Apple TV. 8 tried to do it, but the install failed with prompts that are different than the instructions, and I have no ability to troubleshoot once I am outside of following step by step instructions. Would love to take it somewhere in the Houston area or mail it out if needed.

http://sideloadappletv.com
BCG Disciple
AG
FincAg
AG
Would anyone be interested in modding an original Xbox in the Dallas for a boat load of NES games? I have the Xbox but not savvy enough to actually do the modifications. What's the going rate for something a mod?
GIF Reactor
AG
So....anyone know where to grab a NES classic for MSRP? I would like to finally get one for my kids after striking out at Christmas. What the hell, Nintendo?
aggietoolman
AG
The best shot around BCS and Houston was about 3 weeks ago. Haven't seen any on Brickseek in this area since then. My guess is that we are in the middle of a lull in stock right now. Will probably be April again before you see quantities on the shelves.
GIF Reactor
AG
Thanks, I guess I just have to keep looking and waiting. I read that Amazon had them, but all I have ever seen was from third party resellers at a big mark up.
The Milkman
AG
Is anyone bored of their NES classic and want to sell it to me?
tamusc
AG
Well now I'll have zero guilt when I build a RetroPie system and use a a bunch of downloaded ROMs.

I tried pretty damned hard to find one, but I'm not paying $150+ for one when it retails for $60, which I gladly would have paid if possible.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/nintendo-hates-money-discontinues-the-nes-classic/
MGS
I guess they cancelled it because it was getting more buzz than the Switch.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
If they had managed to keep a decent supply available, this seriously wouldn't have been an issue for the Switch.

Why is there more buzz for the NES Classic than the Switch? Because no one who wants one can f***ing find one. Great job, Nintendo. Way to piss people off even more. This is worse PR than United.
The Fife
Absolutely this.

I need to start finding ROMs already - one of my plans is to finally build some kind of emulator box already, including wiring up a joystick and large arcade style buttons. Is a dedicated PC still the way to go with this or is a RetroPie powerful enough to handle old consoles and MAME?
permabull
AG
Charlie Delta
tamusc said:

Well now I'll have zero guilt when I build a RetroPie system and use a a bunch of downloaded ROMs.

I tried pretty damned hard to find one, but I'm not paying $150+ for one when it retails for $60, which I gladly would have paid if possible.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/nintendo-hates-money-discontinues-the-nes-classic/

That's one way to look at it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.