Pi Emulator or NES Classic Edition?

8,524 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Charlie Delta
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I would like to get a setup to play retro games. I like the look of the new NES Classic Edition and the retro feel. Buddy of mine said I should just pickup a Pi computer and emulate. How is latency on one of those?

Not sure which way to go.
Average Joe
AG
Love my Retro Pi. Very easy setup and controllers are cheap on Amazon. I have never had any issue with lag at all.

You will be able to play more games and multiple systems with the retro pi, but won't have the cool classic look. However, I have seen 3d printed pi cases online that look like an NES.
permabull
AG
MGS
I was all set to buy the real thing until I saw that the controller has only 30" of wire.
Mikeyshooter
AG
MGS said:

I was all set to buy the real thing until I saw that the controller has only 30" of wire.
Yeah, kind of strange. Apparently its best to buy a wireless controller which would be extra.
easttexasaggie04
AG
They also have inexpensive wire extenders on Amazon. I agree, however, the short cord doesn't make any sense.
Mucho austin
AG
Picked one up today. Looking at prices on eBay.... I may not have it for long
AgsWin2011
AG
Can you not get more than the 30 games it comes with? Maybe in the future anyway with a paid update? Or does it have an option to put the classic game cartridges in?
TresPuertas
AG
If anyone happens across an NES classic in Dallas please let me know. If you pick it up I'll buy you a case of beer for your efforts.
zurcaled11
AG
Heismenberg said:

Can you not get more than the 30 games it comes with? Maybe in the future anyway with a paid update? Or does it have an option to put the classic game cartridges in?
No add-on and no additional games. A teardown confirmed that within the last few days.
byfLuger41
AG
I just watched one sell for $915 on eBay.

SO stupid.
Pman17
AG
aggietoolman
AG
Pretty much sold out everywhere. I hope there are more coming. Great idea and would sell like crazy.
aggieforester05
AG
Have you considered a modded XBox original?

Modded XBox Ebay
MrJonMan
AG
Ive got an original NES with 14 games, 2 guns and a Power pad.......yet I still want the Classic

If I can find it
flakrat
AG
When I heard about the Nintendo classic I assumed it would be the SNES, I was wrong.

TXAG 05
AG
MrJonMan said:

Ive got an original NES with 14 games, 2 guns and a Power pad.......yet I still want the Classic

If I can find it

Same here
TXAG 05
AG
DP
easttexasaggie04
AG
I was in line at GameStop yesterday morning before they opened. The people in front of me got one, not me.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
Nintendo really botched the launch on this one. Had to work yesterday, so no way to wait in line for one. Trying to snag one today, but doubt anyone got more last night. Target and Walmart both have no idea when they'll get more. Trying to decide if it's worth trying to be at a Gamestop or Nebraska Furniture Mart when they open later. Probably better off just waiting until next week to try again!
agdoc2001
AG
Why are people waiting in line for an emulator again?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mucho austin
AG
I'll sell mine for a special Aggie only price of $2,005
aarjon
I walked into my Walmart at 7:10 and got 2, I should've bought all 6.
easttexasaggie04
AG
$2004 and you got a deal. Whoop!
TX scallywAG
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Have you considered a modded XBox original?

Modded XBox Ebay

I actually just modded an original xbox. For NES emulation you're looking at NestopiaX and MednafenX_NES.

I FTPed over about a dozen emus, all are rock solid.

The NES mini is plug & play for casual users. You only get the pre loaded ROMS, no expansion.

For any other "create your own plug & play" system (pi, xbox, Ouya, PC to TV, etc), the question is, are you ready to tinker & are you a savvy user who knows the basics (file transfers over the LAN, 7Zip, defining file paths in .inis, etc)?

The earlier pi setups required command line but I believe it's been streamlined a bit.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Average Joe
AG
I wonder how long before someone mods the NES mini to play NES roms.
aggiejohn
AG

Looks like GameStop currently has inventory online:

http://www.gamestop.com/nes/consoles/nintendo-nes-classic-strategy-edition-bundle/138629
aggiejohn
AG
and now they're sold out...
easttexasaggie04
byfLuger41
AG
gravy97
AG
I followed this guys directions here and now have a full functioning NES emulator shoved inside an NES Cartridge

Dawnguard
AG
The thing that no one seems to be pointing out is that the nes classic up-converts. It's still based on pixels, so it isn't like you're going to enhance it like it was developed today, but that functionality is why the nes classic (short cords and all) has value above and beyond the pi
TresPuertas
AG
gravy97 said:

I followed this guys directions here and now have a full functioning NES emulator shoved inside an NES Cartridge

Seriously, I read that and there is absolutely no way I could even get past step 1.

I would,however, be more than willing to compensate someone who could do it with some American dollars
jdubd34
AG
So, I have a dumb question. After seeing the nes classic (and all the demand to go along with it), I have seen alot about emulators. I get how they work, but where does everyone get all the roms?
Zombie
Just about any torrent site out there has them. I personally have a hacked Wii that use solely for this.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.