Google Pixel (Nexus) Event Oct 4

20,049 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by howdydamnit04
howdydamnit04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally going to get the announcement that has been leaked all over the place in a couple weeks.

https://madeby.google.com/

I plan on getting the smaller of the 2 if it's decent to replace my Droid Turbo that has stalled out on updates.
double aught
AG
I'm interested in these, because getting one would allow me to switch to Google's Project Fi.
TMoney2007
AG
If they only sell through Verizon, like the rumor, I'm most definitely out.
OasisMan
AG
quote:
I'm interested in these, because getting one would allow me to switch to Google's Project Fi.
this is what im thinking
redd38
AG
Headphone jack?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Seriously considering upgrading my droid turbo to one also, depending on if the leaks are all accurate.
Skitch05
AG
My Nexus 5 is on its last leg, I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of this announcement. I am really hoping for some sort of Pixel / Daydream VR package.
Agineer
AG
I hadn't seen anything about Verizon only until now. That would be really disappointing...
ABATTBQ11
AG
Since I have Verizon, that wouldn't be a killer. What would be a killer is if Verizon added all of their damn bloatware and locked the phone down so I couldn't remove it.
howdydamnit04
AG
quote:
Since I have Verizon, that wouldn't be a killer. What would be a killer is if Verizon added all of their damn bloatware and locked the phone down do I couldn't remove it.
Hopefully Google isn't dumb enough to allow it. Part of the reason I want a nexus is to keep Verizon out of my software.
John Beckwith
AG
quote:
If they only sell through Verizon, like the rumor, I'm most definitely out.

It sounds like Verizon would be the exclusive carrier seller while Google would still offer an unlocked version online.
TMoney2007
AG
quote:
quote:
Since I have Verizon, that wouldn't be a killer. What would be a killer is if Verizon added all of their damn bloatware and locked the phone down do I couldn't remove it.
Hopefully Google isn't dumb enough to allow it. Part of the reason I want a nexus is to keep Verizon out of my software.
I don't think Verizon sells an Android phone without all that crap. They'll control updates too.
GarlandAg2012
AG
True but you could still activate a 6p without that stuff on their network. I'm hoping Google sells a clean version on their website that can still be activated on the Verizon Network, otherwise I might switch to Project Fi.

Although, I did read some articles that may indicate this phone won't be as "pure" of a Android experience as previous nexus devices.
The Fife
At the price points I'm reading, I'll sit this one out.

I'll have Huawei repair the broken screen on my 6P and cross my fingers that they also repair the defective rear microphone at the same time. This makes it impossible to actually talk with anyone on the phone. If it isn't repaired then I get to go play the RMA game and hope one that works comes in.

I really hoped the smaller version would be priced similarly to the 5 and 5X. My gameplan was to just sell the 6P on ebay as-is since it looks like the going rate is the low $200s and then buy the smaller Pixel. But starting at $650? Nope.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

I'll have Huawei repair the broken screen on my 6P and cross my fingers that they also repair the defective rear microphone at the same time. This makes it impossible to actually talk with anyone on the phone. If it isn't repaired then I get to go play the RMA game and hope one that works comes in.

I really hoped the smaller version would be priced similarly to the 5 and 5X. My gameplan was to just sell the 6P on ebay as-is since it looks like the going rate is the low $200s and then buy the smaller Pixel. But starting at $650? Nope.

I had my 6P screen repaired by Huawei a few months ago and they definitely sent me a different physical phone. It was the same as the one I sent in, but mine has a slight bend in the edge of the frame from when I dropped it and this one was perfect. I suppose they could have just replaced more than I expected, but I get the feeling they receive your phone, verify that the repair is as you described it (i.e. not "screen repair" when there is water damage) and then send you somebody else's that they have fully refurbished/polished to like new.
HossAg
AG
I'm gonna be pretty bummed if it's not $450 starting point. I'm on a droid turbo as well, and my contract isn't over till a year from now because Verizon boned me. Need a cheaper way out than $650.
The Fife
quote:
quote:

I had my 6P screen repaired by Huawei a few months ago and they definitely sent me a different physical phone. It was the same as the one I sent in, but mine has a slight bend in the edge of the frame from when I dropped it and this one was perfect. I suppose they could have just replaced more than I expected, but I get the feeling they receive your phone, verify that the repair is as you described it (i.e. not "screen repair" when there is water damage) and then send you somebody else's that they have fully refurbished/polished to like new.
As much of a PITA as I'm told screen replacement is on these things, I think you're right.

How long did it take and what did it cost? I thought they said $165 but that probably doesn't include shipping either way. Mine is already wiped and I've been using my Nexus 5 since then because there wasn't any point to restoring my info on something I was either going to sell or send out for repair. I like the N5's size but forgot just how terrible the battery was.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I waited and waited and waited cause I thought it would take forever and I had no good backup.

I think I sent it off on a wednesday and had it back in hand the next Monday or something like that. I think the repair facility is in Texas.

The most painful part was getting it set up cause you have to call them on the phone, verify your purchase then fill out a form they send you to get everything moving. Nothing crazy, just not as easy as a few clicks. After that, however, it was pretty easy and painless. I believe part of the $165 includes a prepaid label they send you as well, but can't recall.
mmtexasace
AG
Waiting to see the official specs before jumping to conclusions. Initial reports look good, just hope it might have expandable storage (otherwise looking at the 128gb model). Also wondering if it will have the quick charge ability like the samsung phones. Really curious to hear about reviews on Project FI and hear real feedback on how the service is compared to ATT/Verizon.
double aught
AG
Bump for Google's announcement. Should start in about an hour.
reb,
AG
ars technica live blog: http://live.arstechnica.com/googles-104-pixel-event/
reb,
AG
livestream link:
reb,
AG
32 or 128 gig storage...hmm lol
archangelus2
AG
Camera looks pretty slick. Hopefully this isn't priced like a flagship.
archangelus2
AG
$649. Yikes. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Nexus 5x for a while.
Skitch05
AG
Camera looks great, but ouch on the price. I don't think I can stomach $649 for it. Looks like I'm going for a 5x or 6p.
reb,
AG
i have a 6p and im keeping it. there was really nothin they could show today to make me jump. but, this is great stuff they are showing
howdydamnit04
AG
I'll probably be picking one up. Im pretty much sick of my Droid Turbo's software. As a huge nerd, it annoys the crap out of me I dont even have marshmallow.

It is either this or I go iphone because I dont want to wait on providers to get me updates ever again.
reb,
AG
this Daydream VR stuff looks amazing. I love the name 'Daydream' for a VR brand, it is cash money. And the Harry Potter game they announced is definitely going to make cash money.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Did they give a release date for the Pixel? I only heard 'available for preorder today.'
Moxie
AG
Or a release date on the Home. I'm looking at getting an Echo soon but may be more interested in the Home.
Moxie
AG
Moxie said:

Or a release date on the Home. I'm looking at getting an Echo soon but may be more interested in the Home.
Seeing shipping Nov. 4
VonDownByTheRiver
I'm still more interested in the new Echo at $50 than the Home at $130. The only thing Home has over the Echo for my use cases is Chromecast integration.

Quote:

Camera looks great, but ouch on the price. I don't think I can stomach $649 for it. Looks like I'm going for a 5x or 6p.

The 5X was junk when it was released, and is still junk. Save your money.
Moxie
AG
VonDownByTheRiver said:

I'm still more interested in the new Echo at $50 than the Home at $130. The only thing Home has over the Echo for my use cases is Chromecast integration.

Home sounds more intuitive than the Echo in my opinion with it's assistant. Echo has much more "skills" than the Home will roll out with but I expect that to improve.
TefIon Don
AG
$869 for the 128GB option Pixel XL?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.