Samsung Note 7

8,743 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Iowaggie
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Junk
zurcaled11
AG
Sooo.... What are you guys going to use instead?
ag_derp
AG
best phone Ive ever had, went through the replacement hassle and I hear about possible 2nd recall...wtf samsung
DeangeloVickers
AG
Agree easily my favorite phone

Not sure what to do...my 2nd Note 7 has not been hot at all....the 1st one was hotter than Charlotte McKinney in July
tamusc
AG
ag_derp said:

best phone Ive ever had, went through the replacement hassle and I hear about possible 2nd recall...wtf samsung

Nothing possible about it, it's official. The Note 7 is dead.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/10/13236532/samsung-galaxy-note-7-stop-sale-recall
SlackerAg
AG
The Next Hottest Thing is no longer here...waterproof but not fireproof.
ag_derp
AG
dang really dont want return it. maybe wait a week see what other info comes out
tamusc
AG
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/11/13202608/samsung-galaxy-note-7-discontinued
hassan10s
AG
I'm in the same boat. I bought mine in the window of two days where everything was back to normal after the first recall. Now they've killed the product line completely. Really don't want to return it. Favorite phone ever.

But if the line is truly dead that means no Samsung support. No software updates. Nothing.

Anyone thinking about keeping it?
nai06
AG
hassan10s said:

I'm in the same boat. I bought mine in the window of two days where everything was back to normal after the first recall. Now they've killed the product line completely. Really don't want to return it. Favorite phone ever.

But if the line is truly dead that means no Samsung support. No software updates. Nothing.

Anyone thinking about keeping it?

This article is old, but it says that they may remotely brick any leftover phones that arent returned.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/09/12/remotely-kill-galaxy-note-7/
hassan10s
AG
Dam. That's annoying.
VonDownByTheRiver
People are f'n morons if they don't take it back.
zurcaled11
AG
I've seen they are removing support for things like gear vr. I wouldnt be surprised at all if they limit the battery to 60% again and then brick the devices in a few days or weeks.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I took mine back today

I got a Nokia 5110/5190
tamusc
AG
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/heres-how-to-return-your-note-7-without-blowing-up-the-mail-service/
Pman17
AG
Man that sucks for you guys. What phones are y'all getting instead?
DeangeloVickers
AG
I got Samsung 7 Dual Edge
clintron
AG
I'll most likely go with the LG V20 instead now.
AT&T has some decent deals to go with it too.
http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v20/promo/att
nwspmp
tamusc said:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/heres-how-to-return-your-note-7-without-blowing-up-the-mail-service/
Iowaggie
AG
MsDoubleD81
AG
I loved the phone - coral blue - but reluctantly returned it when official recall came out (I had one with bad battery), and activated an old S4 to wait until everything played out with the re-issue. It would be ok but doesn't hold a charge even with new battery. I traded in a perfectly good iPhone 6s+ (but I HATED iPhone) so now I'm stuck with a useless phone and not wild about anything else out there. Maybe the S7 or Edge?? H-E-L-P!!!
Reveille
AG
I still have mine trying to decide between S7 edge, Pixel XL and LG v20. Sucks because I want to keep the note 7 easily best phone I have ever had. Everything else on the market is a significant downgrade. No matter what we choose we lose a lot.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
DOT ban on flight travel
tamusc
AG
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/19/13333386/samsung-galaxy-note-7-gta-mod-youtube-takedown

Reveille
AG
Maybe this will be a lesson to stop making cheaper versions for other markets. Make one version and make it well for all markets.

I will definitely miss this phone. I never thought I would enjoy a phone as much as I have the note 7. It is so nice a tremendous shame to turn it back in.

I am likely pre-ordering an LG v20 tomorrow and will turn this phone in next week.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieFrog
AG
Reveille said:

I still have mine trying to decide between S7 edge, Pixel XL and LG v20. Sucks because I want to keep the note 7 easily best phone I have ever had. Everything else on the market is a significant downgrade. No matter what we choose we lose a lot.

The S8 should be even better and is out by March. I have a V10 that's been pretty good other than battery life. I'll be picking up the S8 at launch.
Iowaggie
AG
For those interested in a breakdown of what may have been happening.

They discovered the battery was so tightly packed inside the Galaxy Note 7's body that any pressure from battery expansion, or stress on the body itself, may squeeze together layers inside the battery that are never supposed to touch with explosive results.

Batteries swell up under normal use, and we place stress on a phone's body by putting it our pocket and sitting down, or if it's dropped. Tolerances for battery expansion are built into a smartphone during design, and Instrumental notes Samsung used "a super-aggressive manufacturing process to maximize capacity." In other words, the Galaxy Note 7 was designed to be as thin and sleek as possible, while containing the maximum battery capacity for long use, thereby better competing against rival devices such as the iPhone 7 Plus and improving on previous Note models.

The report speculates that any pressure placed on the battery in its confined space may have squeezed together positive and negative layers inside the cell itself, which were thinner than usual in the Note 7's battery already, causing them to touch, heat up, and eventually in some cases, catch fire. Delving deeper into the design, the engineers say the space above a battery inside a device needs a "ceiling" that equates to approximately 10 percent of the overall thickness. The Galaxy Note 7 should have had a 0.5mm ceiling; it had none.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.