Civilization VI

6,790 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by redline248
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love Gathering Storm, and I think the June patch changes were good, too. Only thing I don't like post-June update is that Barbarians seems to be nuts now. I get 3-4 horsemen approaching my capital in turn 20 it seems like.

So far, I like the changes to diplomacy. Earning victory points for being on the winning side of a vote will make you not hoard your points as much.
KidDoc
AG
Kyle98 said:

I love Gathering Storm, and I think the June patch changes were good, too. Only thing I don't like post-June update is that Barbarians seems to be nuts now. I get 3-4 horsemen approaching my capital in turn 20 it seems like.

So far, I like the changes to diplomacy. Earning victory points for being on the winning side of a vote will make you not hoard your points as much.
Again I may have just got lucky but it seems like none of the barbarians ever got horseman. I did have major issues with shore raiding (damn Vikings!) in the classic era- they just pillaged at will since I only had one unproductive coastal city. Finally once I had steam & combustion I bought a battleship with $$ and wrecked their caravels & quadrimes in retribution.

What difficulty are you usually playing at? Barbarians are brutal for me 6+

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kyle98
AG
I've been playing King a lot lately. I might bump up a level, though. Emperor is next, right?
KidDoc
AG
Kyle98 said:

I've been playing King a lot lately. I might bump up a level, though. Emperor is next, right?
  • Settler
  • Chieftain
  • Warlord
  • Prince
  • King
  • Emperor
  • Immortal
  • Deity

King(5) I win most of the time, maybe 75%. Emperor (6) I need some luck and usually need to be very aggressive early in the game to claim space and get the "free" settlers from killing city states or other empires. I would say I win Emperor 50% or less. Immortal (7) I've tried a few times and never make it out of the ancient era I either day to barbarians or nearby civs.

I finally won my first round of Storm on King with the Inca, 1920 or so science victory. Fun stuff!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FIDO95
AG
I find Prince to be too easy. I win almost every time. But when I switch to King I struggle. I feel like I'm doing everything right (i.e campus next to mountains, commercial next to rivers). I survive all the wars but keep losing to an AI science victory of other. I'm currently playing as Germany, 2nd in points in around 1800. However 2 civs have already completed moon landing. I'll never catch up!? I'm thinking of switching and going to cultural victory by filling out my museums and building parks and resorts but probably still too far behind there as well.

Any suggestions on a YouTube series that gives good advice? I seen a few but I still must be doing something really wrong?!?
KidDoc
AG
FIDO95 said:

I find Prince to be too easy. I win almost every time. But when I switch to King I struggle. I feel like I'm doing everything right (i.e campus next to mountains, commercial next to rivers). I survive all the wars but keep losing to an AI science victory of other. I'm currently playing as Germany, 2nd in points in around 1800. However 2 civs have already completed moon landing. I'll never catch up!? I'm thinking of switching and going to cultural victory by filling out my museums and building parks and resorts but probably still too far behind there as well.

Any suggestions on a YouTube series that gives good advice? I seen a few but I still must be doing something really wrong?!?
Spies are the answer. The AI is really bad at fixing spy damage. Disrupt their space ports & industrial districts and they crumble.

Man I breached a dam this last round and talk about devastation! Flooded out and damaged 6 tiles.

For cultural victories stealing great works is an awesome way to turn the tide as well. Also with Rock Bands they have potential to boost tourism but are costly.

wee_ag
AG
Kyle98 said:

Oh great.... even MORE barbarians. That's exactly what the game needs.
KidDoc
AG
wee_ag said:

Kyle98 said:

Oh great.... even MORE barbarians. That's exactly what the game needs.
I tried a lvl 6 with Genghis Khan and got swept out by barbarian horseman-- irony!
Pman17
AG
Switch version $30 on Amazon. Both Physical and Digital
https://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-VI-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07HH8ZSMM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=167JN4TYZ955J&keywords=civilization+6+switch&qid=1562622740&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sprefix=civili%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Marsh
AG
twitch.tv/thegamemechanic/

Streams live in the morning. His vods under videos is a good place to start. I play deity pretty consistently and typically don't have a problem as long as I don't get wrecked by barbs or a cruel nation early on.

But, what you'll see is even excellent players lose pretty consistently to deity if their starting location stinks or they just get an unlucky early game.
CDub06
AG
Never played a Civ game on a console. Doesn't sound as seamless of an experience. Is it clunky?
FIDO95
AG
Thanks for the advice. I can't believe how easy that worked!?! I sent spies and destroyed all their space ports. That allowed me to get back into the lead and I won a science victory.

I had never tried that before because I always felt it wasn't an "honest" way to win. But hey, all is fair in love and war, right!!
V8Aggie
AG
Alright just bought the game last night and only had time for an hour.

A couple of gripes:
- can you no longer automate workers anymore? They're gone after 3 improvements??

- scouts no longer scout on their own?

Do I really have to micromanage pointless crap or am I just being stupid?
KidDoc
AG
V8Aggie said:

A couple of gripes:
- can you no longer automate workers anymore? They're gone after 3 improvements??

Builders have 3 charges by default. There are policies and wonders and governors that boost that charge. Also they can repair damaged or pillaged tiles without a charge, it is the little wrench icon at the top when you select them.

The scouts can autoscout. Hit the little + sign on the top left then hit the gear looking sign.

I wouldn't call builders meaningless, they are a key to winning.

V8Aggie
AG
KidDoc said:

V8Aggie said:

A couple of gripes:

Builders have 3 charges by default. There are policies and wonders and governors that boost that charge. Also they can repair damaged or pillaged tiles without a charge, it is the little wrench icon at the top when you select them.

The scouts can autoscout. Hit the little + sign on the top left then hit the gear looking sign.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah didn't mean to call the workers meaningless - just more than I want to really actively manage.
KidDoc
AG
V8Aggie said:

KidDoc said:

V8Aggie said:

A couple of gripes:

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah didn't mean to call the workers meaningless - just more than I want to really actively manage.
You can also set military units to auto-explore- I tend to do this with my Navy in later ages.

Good luck!
KidDoc
AG
I brought my laptop and played a new level 6 game as Korea on a recent 2 hour flight. This game is the best for making time just fly by! I plan to bring it every flight from now on.

DeLaHonta
AG
I haven't played Civilization since Civ II, and I am completely lost with this game. It's so much more complicated. I'm constantly referencing online guides to figure out what everything is.
KidDoc
AG
DeLaHonta said:

I haven't played Civilization since Civ II, and I am completely lost with this game. It's so much more complicated. I'm constantly referencing online guides to figure out what everything is.

I've played every civ since 2 and yeah it is very complex. However that is what makes each match rewarding and challenging imo.

After way too many hours played I'm mostly pushing my difficulty level or trying to win with specific leaders. I thought my last round as Cleopatra I was going to lose after classic era left me with no expansion room and a dark age but I managed.to fight back and win with a #2 on the final rank scale. That was on lvl 5.

The deeper I dive the more I realize spies are everything in the end game.

Oh and big killer robots help!
KidDoc
AG
Civilization Red Death multiplayer video came out. I've never played mutliplayer Civ but I may try this out. Looks awesome.

I think it is just a patch no paid DLC but can't really access the site @ work just came up on my spybook/Facebook feed.

It kind of looks like Fallout civ style.

Edit: found the youtube:
redline248
AG
I just decided to fire this game up again this week. I'm terrible!

I can't figure out if I'm supposed to research in a line, or just fill in everything. I never seen to get religions, and I have no idea what to do with the civics. I think I just need to get really familiar with everything.

I love civ games, though.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.