Civilization VI

6,840 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by redline248
Beezy2389
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amazing new trailer....

Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history's greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.

• EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
    See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
  • ACTIVE RESEARCH:
    Unlock boosts that speed your civilization's progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
  • DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
    Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
  • COMBINED ARMS:
    Expanding on the "one unit per tile" design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful "Corps" units.
  • ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
    In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
  • A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
    Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
VonDownByTheRiver
I really like the new art style, much cleaner than V and looks like molded clay. Many will complain that it looks like Clash of Clans.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
mhhm, interesting look to the game I suppose but truthfully, the graphics and color palette seem too "cartoony" for me. Also, it's too bright for my tastes. I personally liked how Civ 5 looked but this....i can't quite put my finger on it but just doesn't look as good to me visually.

Now, i'll still buy it i'm sure and the game will probably be great but initially i'm not feeling the new look.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
There's some pretty cool ideas in there. Civ V never clicked with me for some reason, but I still play Civ IV from time to time. If this comes together as well as I hope, it might be worth the purchase this winter.
Beezy2389
AG
Fortunately the modding community will probably take care of graphics pretty quickly
bbattbq01
AG
Goodbye, late October and November
Hagen95
AG
This popped up on my steam feed the other night and I penciled out the fall season computer time.
bbattbq01
AG
It's happening!!!!

I'm cheap so ordered box copy from Amazon to get 20% off, but it's being weird with ship date. May have to cancel the order and just buy straight from steam if I don't get a ship date update tomorrow!
Ganondorf
AG
Already preloaded and counting down the hours.
jeffk
AG
Only PC, right?
bbattbq01
AG
Correct.
Hagen95
AG
Stoked about it. Not sure how I'll find time to play this.
Bregxit
AG
15 minutes
Post removed:
by user
wangus12
AG
I might get it later. Playing through Starcraft II again.
Troy91
AG
Started playing last night. Graphics are too cartoon like for me.

I still haven't figured out how to move with the keyboard.
Turns seem to take forever immediately instead of 50 turns in to the game.

I plan to wear it out this weekend for a more complete experience.
Bregxit
AG
I played for a few hours last night and got about 90 turns in. I just about one-more-turned myself into an all-nighter.

I think the game is beautiful and runs incredibly smooth. I have not come across anything yet that made me say "WTF were they thinking here?" or "I have no idea what this is supposed to do or how to do this" like I did several times in Civ 5. Religion and civics are pretty neat in how they are done and feel much more part of the game instead of just a click and forget it setting. The concept of districts is cool also. One big change for me is Civ 6's builder vs previous versions' workers. In 6, your builders start out being able to make 3 improvements, then they're gone. There are supposed to be ways to increase this, but I haven't come across them yet. No more making a worker, setting him to automate and forgetting about it.

I do agree with Troy that turn-to-turn starts getting bogged down sooner than past versions. I think it is from the AI moves. I haven't checked settings close enough to see if there is something that can be adjusted to speed this up.

All-in-all I love it so far. I would put it close to Civ 4 in enjoyment and immersion level.
The Fife
How would it stack up against 5? I ended up so busy with moving across the country and everything that I never really got into it, and once life settles back down a bit I plan on either checking out 5 again or looking into 6.
Bregxit
AG
The Fife said:

How would it stack up against 5? I ended up so busy with moving across the country and everything that I never really got into it, and once life settles back down a bit I plan on either checking out 5 again or looking into 6.

I hated 5 so...
The Fife
That helps. I think I only made it through a complete game in 5 a couple of times. From what I remember it seemed like it bogged down too fast. OTOH I played the hell out of 4 but I had a lot more time on my hands.
bbattbq01
AG
Finally got to play "tonight". One more turned myself to 3:15 bedtime. Work will be fun tomorrow!
Ganondorf
AG
I've played over 20 hours so far and I'm enjoying it. The game plays a bit different from 5.

The mid game turns took forever in my first play through. I can probably turn on quick moves and combat to speed that up.
Kyle98
AG
I got spammed by Egypt's Acolytes and Missionaries in my first game and lost via Religious victory. All of a sudden 10-15 total showed up and converted all of my cities before I could blink. It was a 4-player map, so Egypt didn't have to work very hard to get all 3 other civs converted. Lesson learned, though.

So far, I'm digging it.
Ganondorf
AG
Sumeria tried that against me in game 1. My own religion was strong enough with my inquisitors to fight them off. At any point there were 15 of his religious units roaming my lands though.
Bregxit
AG
That happened in my first game though I didn't lose from it. I also didn't finish that one as I learned too many new things about the game. Second play through I have a much better handle on the new concepts.

32 hours in and it is so fun. Definitely as fun as Civ 4 was. So far I feel like they knocked it out of the park!
FIDO95
AG
Help with trade routes please! Do you get rewarded on each turn with route rewards or only once completed? Is it a one time reward or once the trade post is created, it continues to produce each turn?

If a trade route earns 1 production and 2 food and last 10 turns, do I only get 1 P and 2 F or is it multiplied by turns and hence 10 P and 20 F?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CDub06
AG
Watchlisting this one.
Bregxit
AG
FIDO95 said:

Help with trade routes please! Do you get rewarded on each turn with route rewards or only once completed? Is it a one time reward or once the trade post is created, it continues to produce each turn?

If a trade route earns 1 production and 2 food and last 10 turns, do I only get 1 P and 2 F or is it multiplied by turns and hence 10 P and 20 F?
You get the yield per turn, not after the trade route completes.
KidDoc
AG
If you have the cash and love Civ the latest expansion is amazing. More future tech, rock bands, tons of leaders, more ways to win or lose, natural disasters. It is extremely engaging and addictive. I particularly like the way the deal with consimbale resources and electricity generation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Eliminatus
AG
Hmmmm. Might look into it.

I love Civ. But V was awful and I damn near despised it when it first came out. Then the last DLC came out and saved it completely. Went from bad to pretty damn good.

Civ VI came out and I hated it completely. Maybe this DLC will do the same thing as it did for V??!
KidDoc
AG
Eliminatus said:

Hmmmm. Might look into it.

I love Civ. But V was awful and I damn near despised it when it first came out. Then the last DLC came out and saved it completely. Went from bad to pretty damn good.

Civ VI came out and I hated it completely. Maybe this DLC will do the same thing as it did for V??!
It really feels like a different game, completely has me hooked. I'm about to win my first round with the Inca it is going to be either a cultural or science win I'm dominating both on king level (5). I got lucky and started off in a good mountain area which appeals to the Incan abilities and structures. The Volcano near my second city erupted a good bit in the early game but not so much now that Big Ben and ski resorts are nearby.

I sent an onslaught of rock bands to England to get them to come tour my majestic empire mostly with artifacts from my own empire while my trio of giant death robots guard my borders. Good stuff! The resource management and electricity really are game changers. I had to expand a bit aggressively once oil was discovered as I didn't have enough to fuel my oil power stations and build up a defensive military of tanks.

Prime0882
AG
After playing the new Total War: Three Kingdoms it feels hard to go back to playing a Civ game. What does this latest xpac add that changes up the gameplay?
FIDO95
AG
Are you referring to the "Gathering Storm" update? That seems to be the newest one.

I think Civ V remains my favorite. I really liked some of the new mechanics in VI but I couldn't find a leader I really enjoyed playing as I did in V. The one thing that drives me nuts is being labeled a warmonger. I rarely attack anyone first. When I'm attacked, I always try to crush the aggressor and take his Capital. However, holding other Civs Capitals gives you WM penalty. It is a catch 22 because if you don't do it, you will always have to be dealing with an aggressive neighbor.
KidDoc
AG
JRC0811 said:

After playing the new Total War: Three Kingdoms it feels hard to go back to playing a Civ game. What does this latest xpac add that changes up the gameplay?
This is for Gathering Storm:

Consumable resources (horses, iron, coal, niter, uranium, aluminum)- these are needed to make and maintain units

Electricity needed to power modern buildings (solar, hydro, wind, coal, oil, nuke)

Random nature events (drought, hurricanes, storms, volcano, earthquake (I think I haven't seen this one)

Global diplomatic meetings on a regular basis with voting in issues using diplomatic favor points

More future tech like digital democracy government type, giant death robots

Global warming management

Rock Bands bought with faith to increase tourism in opposing civs

I'm sure I missed some but that is the meat of it from my first round.
KidDoc
AG
FIDO95 said:

Are you referring to the "Gathering Storm" update? That seems to be the newest one.

I think Civ V remains my favorite. I really liked some of the new mechanics in VI but I couldn't find a leader I really enjoyed playing as I did in V. The one thing that drives me nuts is being labeled a warmonger. I rarely attack anyone first. When I'm attacked, I always try to crush the aggressor and take his Capital. However, holding other Civs Capitals gives you WM penalty. It is a catch 22 because if you don't do it, you will always have to be dealing with an aggressive neighbor.
This is managed in the new one with Grievances that build up over time. I somehow got lucky on this playthrough and my only armed conflicts have been when a city rebelled and I wanted to kill the free city units. Supposedly if you take a city in a war that was declared via grievance points it mitigates the warmonger penalty.

I had the same issue pre- expansion with the damn Sumerians declaring surprise war repeatedly over several thousand years until I finally annihilated them then everyone hated me. I still won the culture game that round by stealing all of the great works in the world with my spies LOL.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.