Factorio

4,503 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiebq03+
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone playing this? If not you should give it a try. It's still in alpha but VERY playable and stable as is. $16 bucks for the full game. And even better.....there is a completely free demo to DL and try to see if you like it. Quite a few videos on youtube as well.

https://www.factorio.com/

It is a beautifully made game that is the most addicting thing I have come across in years. My first time playing it, I played for 14 hours straight. It sorta reminds me of the Tycoon series but far far more in depth. The amount of things you can do is absurd. And you can make it as difficult as you want. Your ability to customize your base is insane.

Key note here though. This is not a gimme game. You want to build an efficient and self sustaining base you have to work at it and even more importantly, think about it. An element that is lacking in most current games. This game is tailor made for engineers or people with analytical minds. The depth of creativity and problem solving reminds me of Kerbal Space Program.

I normally don't harp on games and make recommendations about them. I don't normally care enough to do so. But once in a great while an absolute gem comes along so I figured i'd pass the word along.

A quick personal summary. This is a game about logistics. Taking raw materials by mining and making product. Then moving said product around to end projects or to make higher tier level product. These products go to; more efficiency in your factory, defense, acquiring more raw materials or the end goal. Building a rocket ship to put a satellite in orbit. The gameplay comes from how do you make this happen. The production trees are fairly linear. To make iron plate you need iron ore, etc. What isn't linear is how you accomplish this goal. there are many different ways to make your factory work better. And even that is subjective. Is better sheer production? Energy efficient? As compact and maximum use of space achievable? Or play like me and try to achieve all of them at once. You decide. Basically, you are presented with production problems and using an array of tools you fix them. Sometimes a product line stops producing, so you have to first pinpoint why it isn't producing and then fix it somehow. But mostly it comes down to the laying out of your factory and it working as autonomously as possibly. Sounds kinda odd instead of slaying dudes with machine guns but this is seriously the most addicting game I have come across since the early days of Terraria.

Note: This trailer was made in 2014. Updated to 2020 version.They have added a lot more stuff to it. However, it gets the general gist of the gameplay. Also note to work up to that level of factory takes HOURS of work and diligent planning. Both short AND long term.

I love this game.

spieg12
AG
Sounds like something I would love to play but I can't split time away from destiny right now lol.
Malachi Constant
AG
I'll give the demo a shot
wee_ag
AG
Sounds intriguing - thanks for posting
farmer2010
AG
Sounds right up my alley, thanks for the heads up!
Eliminatus
AG
I think I am going to finally take a stab at the combinators and circuit grid. Whatever it is they do....
Captmorg70
This game looks really interesting. Looks like a game you can get lost in, like mine craft and such. I'm going to try out the demo
Eliminatus
AG
Just wanted to bring this back up since it has finally made it to Steam Early Access. Don't let that fool you though from most of other garbage on EA. This game is VERY well fleshed out already( IMO it could be a full release already) and the devs are relentless on working on it.

Close to 3K reviews on the couple of days it's been on Steam and still rocking an Overwhelmingly positive overall rating.

The demo is still up and running as well for anyone who wants to try before buying. You WILL get lost in this game. I can (almost) guarantee that.

Once again.....HIGHLY recommend this gem of a game.
Ark03
AG
A friend mentioned this game and I looked up the demo late last night. Next thing I knew I had finished the demo, it was 1 am and I was downloading the full version, 5 hours before I had to get up for work.

I highly recommend this game. My demo games ended up in a huge spaghetti mess - I think I'll be spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to make pretty, efficient production lines...
Eliminatus
AG
So I went and became addicted all over again. I hadn't played in over a year and when I started it back up a few days ago on a whim I was blown away, again.

One thing you can never accuse the developers of, is being lazy. They are some of the most diligent and open devs I have ever seen. The state of the game now as to when I first created this thread is nearly night and day. A lot of stuff was added and then everything was polished. It is just.....better. In every way.

So I have sank about another 30 hours into this in the past 48. It is that bad.

So I once again recommend this game to all. It is simply that good. There is a reason why it is the second highest rated game of all time on Steam (behind portal). It also transcends gamers past their normal niches. I have seen straight FPS junkies to hardcore wargamers and everyone in between fall in love with this masterpiece.

Few quick notes:

1.There is still a demo version available to try. Amazing how more and more games you just have to buy damn near sight unseen.

2. Price has increased to $30 instead of $16. Still worth every cent. Every person I have personally introduced this game to (bout 8 people), is in triple digit hours + of game time logged. I check so I don't feel bad about my own addiction. You WILL get your moneys worth out of this.

3. Game is still in early access. Again, don't let this fool you. It feels like a full release. Speaking of, the devs are finally announcing that version 1.0 is on the horizon.....and the game will go to it's full MSRP pricing at that time. I think it was $40.
JTA1029
AG
I also heavily recommend Factorio.

Just a great game.
Bones08
AG
Oh no. I have too many things to do to be reminded about this game and spend another 100+ hours on it.

Damn you.
D`Funkaladu`
AG
Still the best money I've ever spent on a game. 700 hours in and I just started yet another map. New settings and mods and it feels completely different. It's not just a building, gathering or survival game, it's better than that. It makes troubleshooting conveyor belts and spreadsheets to calculate throughput fun and crazy addictive.
Racer X
AG
damn, this game is fun! I had no idea it had been around so long
aggiebq03+
So after finishing another game I looked at my Steam wishlist and decided I'd finally buy Factorio to "try it out". It's only been a few days and when I look at the steam launch page didn't even realize there were that many hours in a 5 day period...

Bumping the thread because this game is amazing, just be careful. I thought Rocket League would be my biggest time sucking game ever, but this is one I could play and forget to sleep.

Okay time for bed, just need to finish setting up the iron smelting line, then I'll sleep...wait need more belts, oh need to go fix the steel smelting array, oops forgot I meant to add to my boiler/steam engine array, stupid trees right in the way gotta chop those down to add the steam engines where it looks nice, dang forgot to place those extra electric drills for coal mining...and now it's 4am.
Eliminatus
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

So after finishing another game I looked at my Steam wishlist and decided I'd finally buy Factorio to "try it out". It's only been a few days and when I look at the steam launch page didn't even realize there were that many hours in a 5 day period...

Bumping the thread because this game is amazing, just be careful. I thought Rocket League would be my biggest time sucking game ever, but this is one I could play and forget to sleep.

Okay time for bed, just need to finish setting up the iron smelting line, then I'll sleep...wait need more belts, oh need to go fix the steel smelting array, oops forgot I meant to add to my boiler/steam engine array, stupid trees right in the way gotta chop those down to add the steam engines where it looks nice, dang forgot to place those extra electric drills for coal mining...and now it's 4am.
It is still the absolute worst at destroying your schedule. I started it back up again about a month ago and got LOST for four days straight. I literally had to stop myself from playing. (current student and it is......detrimental to schoolwork)

This is also the only game I have ever played where I actively dream about it and ponder all day long about my next moves. Catches me coming AND going. If I am not playing it, I am thinking about playing it.

Crazy game. But crazy good. Never knew something like this could be so addicting.

And the devs are STILL killing it. Nonstop working to make this gem even better and better. The state of the game now as to when I first made this post is night and day. But not overwhelmed with garbage. Everything added has actual purpose and use and is awesome.

After all these years I can say that this is my favorite game of all time. This summer when I catch some free time....
javajaws
AG
I've been doing a new playthrough recently as well. Added the LTN mod and took almost a week to just get the basics if it down! But I've got trains going everywhere now. I'm up to 16 nuclear reactors for power.

And yet I feel ive just started the map.
Eliminatus
AG
Started up another file fresh from the very beginning. Been a while since I've played and the it looks so damn polished and oh, A GIANT SPIDER BOT VEHICLE THINGIE.

Missed out on a lot of updates, so back to square one.

RIP to my schedule!
AtlAg05
AG
We've been playing a mod (Nautius?) that completely changed the game. I feel like I'm getting a minor in chemistry. The object is to create life on the planet, so you're working at the element level.
javajaws
AG
I need to start a new play through, always enjoy time spent on this game.

I tried Satisfactory awhile back but don't really care for the 3D style of play that one has as compared to Factorio.
Eliminatus
AG
THE FACTORY MUST GROW

Started up again and man, it is still sooo damn good. Updated the OP intro video to most current version. I fell in love with this game as an alpha purchaser 7 years ago and the work the devs have put in, and still do, has kept this game fresh and engaging the entire time.
Eliminatus
AG
Well, I watched AVATAR 2 and zero spoilers but lets just say, I have overwhelming urge to start another file on Factorio and subjugate a beautiful planet to strip mining and deforestation at industrial scale while committing what could be argued is genocide among the indigenous life forms.

I love this game so much
aggiebq03+
I must say, walking around in a giant mechanical spider that auto fires rockets of death and destruction as I casually walk through massive bug bases puts a big smile on my face.

After all, what's all that automation for if not instant reloads to go spread more freedom among the natives, to clear more space for your mega train of death depot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.