******OFFICIAL Texas World of Warships thread******

28,484 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
**staff, could you edit Texas to Texags?****

This will be a unified place for discussion, clan organization, and general game play discussion For the New World of Warships from Wargmaing! Hopefully, after the clan system is implemented, I'll be opening us a clan in game as well.

http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2626978 This was the discussion during closed beta, great info there!

I do have a teamspeak server online, but I'm having some pc issues and it is down at times. Please report outages and I will correct them.

IP: 72.191.119.1
Port: 9987

This teamspeak is open for any texags user(Of course I don't mind friends/guests) to use for this or other games.

Please post your info below do we can keep a running list.

Current Players:

Texags handle - in game handle- What we're focused on

Ag_of_08 - Txaggieof08 - US cruisers, US carriers shortly, and US battleships(tier IV x 2). Will be getting tirpitz and playing Kriegsmarine as soon as it's released.
Kampfers - Kampfers- mainly playing Japanese DD's and US BB's
redline248 - Coolag02- IJN
Knife_party - Vectormania- US BB's and cruisers
jabberwalkie09 - jabberwalkie09- usn cruisers and?
Spullig - spitfi83 - low tier US Cruiser adn DD for the moment.
Blinkin- dallasmd14 -US CA and IJN DD
kcm308lr - risky101 - USN
Ganondorf - OrangeMonkey mainly mid tier IJN DD and USN CA
Thaed137 - Thaed137 - ?
AcctAg11 - The StealthDude - USN DD/CA/BB and IJN Cruisers
Boomerang10 - boomerang10 - USN Cruisers and IJN Destroyers
Brain72tamu
SATX_BQ98 - Adm_Turpitz
Javajaws - Javajaws

Some stats compiled for our listed players. - Courtesy Ganondorf

Haven't shared a GDoc so hopefully this works.
[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1isgiAWuRhmaBjPFqYC7dzkNfniPfaiqjas5b2GktFUA/edit?usp=sharing][/url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1isgiAWuRhmaBjPFqYC7dzkNfniPfaiqjas5b2GktFUA/edit?usp=sharing

Kampfers
AG
Kampfers

I typically run IJN DDs (currently tier 5) and USN BBs and CAs (both tier 4).
redline248
AG
coolag02

Just bought the mutsuki
Knife_Party
Vectormania.

I almost exclusively am playing US bb's, plan to hit the IJN ones eventually. I can do tier 6, 8 (bb) or 5 (cruiser).
PatAg
AG
Do you guys just normally purchase every tier when it is available? For instance, you have to start in crusiers, did you just keep going up the cruiser line, or just stay with the eerie and upgrade it until you can switch over?
Ag_of_08
AG
What do you mean? I'll stick with a ship that's making me good profits, otherwise it gets sold and I move the crew to a new boat. The only reason to keep a boat you aren't grinding to a new tier on is because you really like the thing, it's a money making machine, or to help friends grind.

You will HATE the tier 2 cruisers. They really need to buff them or restrict the game to tier 1 and 2 like WOT does. Just to weak to go against t3 and 4 ships.

Pat what's you in game name and I'll ad you to the list
Knife_Party
I played cruisers, selling the previous tier one and buying the next in line. Once I hit the St. Louis (which is a ton of fun btw), I tried the phoenix out and hated it. I moved over to US battleships and pretty much went straight up that line. I just got the USS North Carolina today. You can split yourself between cruisers, destroyers, battleships, etc. playing a bit of everything, or you can focus on one line. It's really up to you. I enjoy playing the US battleships because everything about them is slow and I'm a super relaxed kind of person so I enjoy being relaxed while playing with the occasional OH **** moment from torps and destroyers. If you do focus one line, you'll move up it faster than splitting yourself out, but again it's really up to you. Eventually you'll want to keep a ship at a tier you enjoy so you have something to make credits on while having fun. For me, it's the tier 6 battleship New Mexico. I also play the premium Murmansk for credits.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm keeping the Cleveland, but I'm going to ditch the Pensacola most likely when I get the opportunity to jump into the New Orleans. The Cleveland seems like a good break even ship for me that nets good profits, is fun to play, and still can get into upper tier matches and be competitive.
Ag_of_08
AG
jabber isn't your username the same in game?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
jabber isn't your username the same in game?
Correct!
SPullig
I don't play it nearly enough, but I'm spitfi83. Hoping to get some more time this fall on it. As for class, just starting out and at US tier 2 cruiser and destroyer.
Ag_of_08
AG
Nothing wrong with being low tier or not being super dedicated. I keep a St Louis around and play it on a regular basis just fro grins!
Blinkin
dallasmd14 - us cruisers and bbs / ijn destroyers
Risky101
S
Risky101

I've played strictly the US ships. Just unlocked the first carrier and not sure if I like it quite yet. I typically like to stick to cruisers and destroyers, both tier 5 at the moment.
Ganondorf
AG
OrangeMonkey

I have t4-6 of just about everything right now. Mainly Japanese DD and American Cruisers.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Nothing wrong with being low tier or not being super dedicated. I keep a St Louis around and play it on a regular basis just fro grins!
I also kept my St Louis. Just an all around beast of a ship. Lots of fun to play as.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The first two tiers of American carriers are a beating from what I understand. I know I can tell you that my dozen or so games in the Langley pretty much made it clear to me that tree of ship type wasn't for me.
Ag_of_08
AG
In fairness if you can slog through 4 and 5 to 6.........MASSIVE damage. Becomes a lot more worth it. I actually did pretty good with the bogue, you do better going defensive than offensive.
PatAg
AG
Yea I was just asking if you generally buy every upgrade in the style of ship or not. And if you spend the "money" to upgrade them all or not.
redline248
AG
In order to advance to the next tier you have to research most (if not all) of the modules. You don't have to purchase and mount them, but if you think you'll be playing that ship for a while, you should purchase them. It makes the ship a lot better, especially the hulls.

The upgrades increase the effectiveness, as well, but I don't always buy them. For example, if I'm going down a new line of ships I won't buy the upgrades in the first 2 or 3 tiers, b/c I know I won't be playing them that long.

edit to add: If by 'money' you mean the copper dabloons (or whatever they are called)...hell no I don't spend that stuff getting the 2nd level upgrades.

I've played quite a few matches in the carrier, and I almost prefer the 1 fighter/1 torp configuration (only option on Langley, starting planes on Bogue) more than the other 2 options. I'll go into matches against carriers of the same tier with my 2 fighters, and still get them shot all to hell by that carrier's one fighter. As I posted in the other thead, the dive bombers are next to useless. I'm not about to start over in the Japanese line, so I'm slowly getting toward the Independence.
Ag_of_08
AG
Once you bypass the bogue, things start getting a bit better usually. Are your planes upgraded?

Pat, look carefully at "upgrades". Not all of them make things better(the omaha C hull sucks ass for example), but some are really worth it. You just have to weigh the value.
redline248
AG
Yep, my planes are upgraded. They still suck
Ag_of_08
AG
Alas the bogue. I finished the langley grind right when they added that steaming pile of dog dung. ah well...... visions of high tier dive bombers sinking DD's keep me happy
thaed137
AG
Thaed137 is my tag in the game.
AcctAg11
AG
TheStealthDude

Play mostly USN DD's and Cruisers. Also working up the Jap DD and Cruiser lines as well. Dabbled some in early BBs.

Tier 7: Mahan
Tier 6: Cleveland and Aoba
Tier 5: New York and Minekaze
Ganondorf
AG
What annoys me most is that there are ships that you feel you have to just tough it out on. That really shouldn't ever be the case.

It's much worse when you are trying to get through the crap like Myogi and get stuck with T6s, rendering you completely ineffective.

The matchmaking needs to not have such a big range, especially for carriers.
Knife_Party
It doesn't get better at higher tiers. I've gotten put in a match in my tier 8 bb against two tier 10 bb's that have literally double the hp I do. I died in two volleys.
redline248
AG
This is still technically in beta, right? Maybe they'll reduce the range a little. Last night I saw 2 tier IV cruisers lumped in with tier 7s. That's just not right
Knife_Party
It is Beta. I think the player base may still be too small for match maker to work properly. I keep waiting for a large patch to rebalance something but...nothing yet.

Also holy crap. It costs 150k to repair this thing.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
This is still technically in beta, right? Maybe they'll reduce the range a little. Last night I saw 2 tier IV cruisers lumped in with tier 7s. That's just not right
Yeah, it's not right but I will also say that a Cleveland at tier 6 can be every bit as effective in a tier 8 or 9 match if you know what you are doing. Hell, I accidentally pulled two of my friends into a tier 7 and 8 match when they were in St. Louis cruisers. The two of them took out and destroyed a New York BB, by themselves. The rage from the enemy BB player in the chat was glorious, 10/10 would read again.

I will say that cruisers seems to be the only class that can't effectively compete against the upper tiers. Destroyers and battleships don't seem to suffer this issue as much. Battleships because they have massive guns, armor, and hit points. Destroyers because the torps and detection ratings they have make them almost invisible unless the fire their guns.
Knife_Party
quote:
Destroyers and battleships don't seem to suffer this issue as much.

This was my experience in tiers 4-6 on bb's, but at tier 7 it has gone the other direction. I don't play cruisers much so can't speak to them. Tier 7 and 8 bb's can compete with higher tier cruisers and destroyers more as less as effectively as at tiers 5-6, but get blasted by bb's that are even only one tier higher. For example, the colorado at tier 7 has 50100 hp fully upgraded while the fully upgraded North Carolina has 66000 and the Iowa has 79000. For comparison, the NY has 49000 hp and the New Mexico 53000. For bb's at least, there is a large inflation at the upper tiers in hit points while guns seem to still methodically increase in damage by ~2k per tier.
AcctAg11
AG
I am actually pretty happy with how well lower tiers can compete with higher tiers so far. In World of Tanks, there was such a huge gap between tiers. A tier 4 tank in a tier 6 battle or a tier 3 in a tier 5 battle were basically worthless.

In this game, I feel like its more about player skill than the stats of a given ship. Not necessarily in every case, as some examples that have pointed out, but it is an improvement over Tanks, in my opinion.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
For bb's at least, there is a large inflation at the upper tiers in hit points while guns seem to still methodically increase in damage by ~2k per tier.
I wouldn't personally know that as the Wyoming is as far as I have played in the BB line. The upper tiers of the battleship tech tree for the American line has 406mm guns from the New Mexico on up. That increase though I guess is what separates them in how much damage they can do I guess, even though I think that the increase is kind of ridiculous. At the upper tiers of the BB tree, is dispersion still stupid? Like shooting shotgun blasts?
Knife_Party
quote:
quote:
For bb's at least, there is a large inflation at the upper tiers in hit points while guns seem to still methodically increase in damage by ~2k per tier.
I wouldn't personally know that as the Wyoming is as far as I have played in the BB line. The upper tiers of the battleship tech tree for the American line has 406mm guns from the New Mexico on up. That increase though I guess is what separates them in how much damage they can do I guess, even though I think that the increase is kind of ridiculous. At the upper tiers of the BB tree, is dispersion still stupid? Like shooting shotgun blasts?

I loved the Wyoming. Really started to have fun with it at the end of grind to the NY. Looks like the Colorado is the first ship to get the 406 guns. Not sure how they implemented damage. Max AP shells go from around 12k on the colorado to around 13k on the NC, and then bump up a bit above that, but the Montana and Iowa do same damage (according to the tooltip. Who knows if that is accurate). The Yamato is a different beast from what I understand, and it supposedly has the highest in game damage from guns with a long reload time. I think the major difference from tier 8 - 10 in the US line is the health and armor. I was doing some reading the other day and they have actually implemented a "strength" mechanic in armor, so having more hp is part of the deal, but you're also harder to pen as you go up in tiers. This is also hidden in your hull upgrades within a tier.

Dispersion didn't bother me on the New Mexico because I had 12 rounds. You still have to rely on RNG and the opponent not turning/stopping/accelerating, but it was a lot easier to at least get a hit than it is on the Colorado. Dispersion just kills that thing with only 8 rounds being fired. Truth be told, I haven't played very many matches yet on my NC but dispersion does seem to be better. The tooltip shows that it is worse, but that is apparently bull**** because I feel like I get very pretty spreads in the 10-15km range. It feels at least as good as the New Mexico did.

I'm kind of a little scared to play her. She's freaking awesome but costs 150k to repair, so in an average match I might just break even on credits. The skill level of players also seemed to take a quantum leap when I stepped foot in tier 8-10 matches. Higher tier BB players just nailing me with super long range shots. I suppose that could be the result of better dispersion as well.
Ganondorf
AG
Starting at Minikaze the Japanese destroyers can hang in higher tiers because of 10km torpedoes. American destroyers not so much. A higher tier bb or ca will demolish a lower tier dd.

The problem ca's have going against higher tiers is the range of those ships. When they our range you by 4-10km there isn't much you can do.

The open water map, while fun when against your own tier, really screws lower tier people on a match when you can't use islands as cover.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.