Texas 42 uploaded to Google Play

7,110 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kb2001
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, I can say that I know why Jay was trying to punt. After he pulled out all the trumps, he saw that he desperately needed to get rid of that 41, and the only way he could do it at that point was to lead with the 03.

I think what it need to add is the ability for him to continue holding the lead as long as you keep feeding him count.
bearamedic99
AG
Dangit, PJF! You just unleashed another addictive way for me to waste time. I hope you're happy (and making lots of money! I've posted about the game on FB to friends)
Quad Dog
AG
I had a cold this past weekend, so I didn't do much besides go to the Bama game, and play 42. I ran into some odd plays. Hopefully I can remember them well enough, or maybe it was all cold medicine.
I haven't made any changes to the AI. Phil = Conservative, Jay = Normal, Fry = Aggressive. I should have the latest version. It's setup to auto-update. So I guess this is a suggestion too: put what version the game is somewhere in the Setup section.
First. Partner wins the bid with 31, sixes are trump. He wins first trick with 6-3, loses second with 6-5. Fry leads 2-1, Jay wins with 2-2. Jay leads 1-0, I win with 1-1. I lead 3-3 and Jay throws 0-0. I throw 3-0, and Jay trumps in and leads next trick with 4-2 and we lose the last trick and the hand. That means that when I threw my 3-3 Jay was looking at 0-0, 6-4 (last trump), and 4-2. He decided to play 0-0. Had he threw his off on my double, he could have trumped back in and won the hand with his double blank.

Second. There are two odd plays here. Philip wins bid with 31, 1s trumps. Phil leads with 1-1, two others have trump. He then start playing out his trumps, but his first play is 1-5, and not 1-6. When someone is playing out their trumps, I expect them to start with the high one, so the partner knows no one else has trumps. Anyways, Phil wins first three hands, then plays 1-6. Jay plays 6-6. Why the 6-6? With the 2-1 and 2-0 already played, the 2-2 would be a much better play. If I remember correctly this game came down to Phil playing his 6-0, me playing 6-4, and Fry winning it with 6-5. Jay could have won with 6-6.

Third. Similar to the one above. Jay playing out his trumps, but not starting with the high trump. He wins bid with 31, 5s trumps. Jay wins first trick with 5-5, second with 2-2. Third trick he leads 5-1 instead of his high trump. He knows he has all the trumps left, he should let me know too by playing the high one. Yes I know the only other person that played a trump on the first trick were me and Fry. Fry didn't play one on trick 3, so I should have known no trumps left, lets blame that one on the cold. I realized it a trick later.

I had another screenshot on my phone, but I can't remember what the problem was on it. If I remember, I'll post it here. Still loving the game, and think the AI is great. I've seen humans do all the above things. I don't envy you trying to figure out how to improve these plays.

[This message has been edited by Quad Dog (edited 9/16/2013 11:18a).]
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Don't want to pile on, but I know when programming AI, you want to find the little quirks.

Doubles trump.

First play (partner leads) 0/0, 6/6, 3/3, 2/2
Fry leads 2/0, 2/6, 2/1, 2/4
I lead 5/4, 5/6, 4/4(trump), 5/1
Partner leads 1/0, 3/0, 1/6, 1/4

At this point partner holds 5/5, 1/1, and 4/3. All other doubles have been played.

I lead with 5/3, which would have walked because the 5/6 and 5/4 had already been played. Partner trumps with 5/5 rather than throwing his trash and trumping the next two. He plays 4/3 which loses to the 4/6 and we tank.

Edited: Looks like this may be the same logic Quad experienced in his first hand.

[This message has been edited by mickeyrig06sq3 (edited 9/16/2013 1:40p).]
Stasco
AG
Here are two head-scratchers I experienced in consecutive hands.

First hand:
Partner bids 31 in 4s. He has 4 trumps and I have the other 3. He pulls all of my trumps out, then proceeds to set us on a 5 off. I was void in 5s.

Second:
I plunge. Partner chooses "follow me". WTF??????
Hudson2508
AG
Follow me isn't a horrible call when he knows you have a lot of doubles and he has one or two himself.

I've experienced the same thing with my partner drawing all my trumps out for no reason.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I kinda like it when the AI does oddball things. It's more like you're playing with a real human partner that does something stupid because they aren't paying attention, or drunk, or distracted by a girl or just dumb.
Stasco
AG
quote:
Follow me isn't a horrible call when he knows you have a lot of doubles and he has one or two himself.

Follow me makes zero sense in plunge unless the partner calling trumps has 3 doubles. The whole point of plunge is for your partner to find one decent trump to make 3 leads. My partner's first lead was a friggin off. I played my four doubles, and then we were set.
Hudson2508
AG
First of all plunge is a crap shoot anyways. But follow me isn't a horrible bid if he doesn't have a suit to call trumps in. He wouldn't need 3 doubles to be viable either. Otherwise he's just guessing what you might be strong in.

Now saying follow me and leading with an off is a horrible call but it's hard to know without knowing his hand. At some point in nearly all splash or plunge bids you have to play something and hope your partner has the domino to cover you. Maybe he just decided to do it on the first play.
Philip J Fry
AG
On the plunge bid, did your partner not have any doubles at all?
Icecream_Ag
S
Dont know if its been mentioned, but a lay down button would be nice.
chilidogfood
AG
Is this appv still around? I reinstalled my phone os, and now I don't see it in the app store anyone to redownload
Bregxit
AG
chilidogfood said:

Is this appv still around? I reinstalled my phone os, and now I don't see it in the app store anyone to redownload

Still shows up in the Apple app store for me on iOS 12 on iPhone X. My wife has an XS and there were some old apps we had that I can get but she cannot now. Texas 42 shows to have not been updated in 2 years...maybe your phone is too new?

ETA: Checked her phone (XS) and it is available for her as well.
Desert Professor
AG
My wife plays it non-stop. She gets really mad at Jay for stupid play and then I pay for it.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I've played for many moons and absolutely love it; great job!!

It would be nice to replay a hand that you misplayed and see what happens.
bearamedic99
AG
I've had trouble finding it in the Google store after switching phones. There is a 42 game but not sure if it is PJF's 42
t - cam
AG
Desert Professor said:

My wife plays it non-stop. She gets really mad at Jay for stupid play and then I pay for it.

Jay is terrible at bidding. I never let him have control.

jm94
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I've had trouble finding it in the Google store after switching phones. There is a 42 game but not sure if it is PJF's 42
Same here, I don't see it based on the screen shots near the top of this page.
Hudson2508
AG
What the hell, this thread made me realize the app isn't on my phone anymore. The other app isn't nearly as good.
chilidogfood
AG
Paging P.J. Fry

Can you set up a link to the APK or something for us poor google users that can't get the download anymore?
jm94
AG
I did find it in the Kindle store, so there's that.
Texaggie7nine
Bump. I want it on my new phone :-(
7nine
Philip J Fry
AG
I'll see what I can do to get it available in google play as is.

If it needs any tweaking at all though, it's a somewhat monumental task for me.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'd like to grab it too!

If you have android, it is on the amazon app store.....get it here:

https://www.amazon.com/MaroonEntertainment-Texas-42/dp/B00EUY85B8
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Philip J Fry
AG
Can you let me know if multiplayer works at all? I currently have no way of checking it on my new MacBook.
Texaggie7nine
I installed amazon market on my galaxy note. Got it through there. Multiplayer comes up and I can join a table, but no clue if anyone else can join.
7nine
Philip J Fry
AG
That's where I want to take the iPhone version. Only issue is that it isn't a free service.
kb2001
AG
I've been taking it with me for new phones since it left the google play store. You can download the apk to your computer, then upload it to your new phone to keep it going. Still works for now, I hope it doesn't break, I play it several times daily.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.