Texas 42 uploaded to Google Play

7,103 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kb2001
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alrighty. I took the plunge today and submitted the app to the Google Play Store. It will take a few hours according to Google to show up.

For future discussions, I think it would be nice to use the official thread for issues/updates. I'll be updating the iphone logic in parallel in the future, so one single thread to watch would be nice.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=30&topic_id=2101671

What Android has that the iphone doesn't:

1: House rules menu that lets you choose which rules the ai follows.
2: Ability to play straight 42 with unforced bidding.
3: Ability to play both forced and unforced nello bidding.
4: You can now big Splash/Plunge. Splash adds 1 mark to your marked bid. Plunge adds 2.
5: The computer can now bid nello.
6: Various AI updates that will be applied to the iphone in the upcoming weeks.

For the uploading it to the Amazon store tomorrow for you Kindle Fire users.

What's coming in the future:
1: Nello Doubles low
2: Stat tracking
3: Multiplayer.

If you've been following the iphone thread, you'll see that the best way to help improve the AI is to send me a screen shot with the tiles face up. Though this is pretty much based on the iPhone logic, it still may have the occasional hole that needs fixing. The nice thing about the Android store is that the app gets updated very quickly once I submit an update.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
It's up now. Installing as we speak.
flintdragon
AG
Is this it?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maroonentertainment.Texas42
Philip J Fry
AG
It is. I actually have an update I just put out. For some reason, Google was telling me it wasn't compatible with Tablets.
agfan2013
AG
There were a bunch of guys on the outdoors board that were interested in the android version that I can remember. I can bump the thread over there today and get some more people to buy the android version.
Philip J Fry
AG
I don't pay you enough agfan.

Also uploaded the app to the amazon store this morning. Looks like their process is a bit more like apples. Might take 2-3 weeks for approval.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 8/29/2013 7:54a).]
Hudson2508
AG
Thank you so much Phillip. You put up with the constant requests for Android and gave us an amazing app. Really excited for multiplayer. I will do my best to spread the word to all the AGS with Android I know.

Would it ever be possible to play cross platform with someone on iOS? I imagine that's extremely difficult to code but just wondering.
Philip J Fry
AG
Definitely possible. I would have to pay for a third party server to make that happen, so I guess that depends on how well the android sells to begin with.
srob2004
AG
Downloading now to my tablet! Great work
Philip J Fry
AG
Would be curious to hear if it actually works from the store. I was a bit iffy about how the licensing feature would fair.
kbassil
AG
This is huge! Congrats PJF!
Philip J Fry
AG
I still owe you an article.
millertyme
AG
Great game! I had the honor of beta-testing it and play it constantly. Now, if only it came with a pitcher of Pearl and a cheeseburger!
kbassil
AG
All in good time. You do your thing and holler at me when you're ready to focus on some marketing. We've had over 15,000 readers in about 5 months, so I think I could help with your sales.
ccurrie
hartA7
Works Great!
fta09
AG
I'm so spoiled to playing it on my wife's iPad (when I can pry it from her hands) that I may not like playing it on my tiny ass Razr Maxx, but I'm gonna try it out anyway!

Thanks, PJF!
Helmet2Helmet
Downloaded. Thank you for your hard work getting it to us
kb2001
AG
Bought, I'll try it out this evening
04CU
Are u the same guy who made Win42?
Philip J Fry
AG
Alas, no. Curtis Cameron's work is what inspired me to make these mobile apps though.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/29/2013 6:25p).]
ABKitch
AG
Where's the option for A&M graphics?!?!?!

Just kidding. Bought it and have played a few hands and look forward to many many more. Congrats!
Philip J Fry
AG
In all seriousness, I'm going to eventually add in app purchases that let you change the tiles, tallies, and center table piece to whatever you want.

And...I'm about to upload a new version. I think I was finally able to track down a very odd move that it's been occasionally making.

How are android devices notified that they have an update waiting?

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/29/2013 8:45p).]
GreasenUSA
AG
Just downloaded and played...very nice
Ornithopter
AG
Just bought it!
Ornithopter
AG
Just bought it!
Ark03
AG
quote:
How are android devices notified that they have an update waiting?

Mine is set to update automatically - I saw that it updated this afternoon.

Edit to add: to better answer your question, if I didn't have it set to auto update I'd get a notification in the notification bar that I have an update waiting. I can then follow the link to the Google play store where I can click Update to download the latest version. Since mine is set to update automatically, I just see the download start in the notification Window, and I can follow the link to the Play store to see the new version's release notes.

[This message has been edited by ark03 (edited 8/29/2013 11:41p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Okay good. Still not 100% sure what caused your play before, but I have a pretty good notion that it was a memory management issue. I cleaned up the code quite a bit with the latest release.

I have to say, being able to update on the fly is uber nice. Really sucks having to wait 2 weeks for apple to get to even minor changes.
aggiesherpa
AG
Just downloaded on my Nexus 7!
kb2001
AG
Well done on this game! It plays smoothly, the AI is pretty good, and it killed about 3 hours of my time last night

I've only see one move I would call a mistake by the AI in that time
Philip J Fry
AG
If anyone sees scoring mistakes or anything like that, let me know.
kbassil
AG
Phillip - you might check the thread on the outdoor board. I seem to recall some discussion about a potential problem/error. Might be fixed by now though, as fast as you update these things.
Philip J Fry
AG
Will do. In the meantime, I found a bug that could potentially cause some very odd plays. Took me a while to figure out what was going on, but it's fixed now in any case (I'm looking at you Arky).

Also updating the app to allow 180 degree rotation and lets you move the app to your SD Card.
flintdragon
AG
Does the app include a tutorial on how to play for a beginner?

Amazing, I went through 6 years at A&M without playing a single hand of 42. crazy, I know.

or is there a definitive source I can read online? Many of the terms sound like what we used in playing Spades, many of which I thought were just "house rules".
Ark03
AG
PJF, are you dropping another update soon?

quote:
Does the app include a tutorial on how to play for a beginner?

There is an "About" section with the basics, but you'll probably want to read up on rules and strategy online for the details.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.