Anyone repaired an Onkyo receiver with the common HDMI issues?

17,759 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by labmansid
sdc177
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 that has finally become unbearable due to the HDMI issues common to this unit and others produced around the same time. I've watched a video & read about removing the HDMI board to replace capacitors with better ones which seems to solve the problem.

I’ve never soldered before and don’t own a gun but it looks like I could buy all parts/tools for under $20 which makes this worth the effort. It’s a fantastic receiver otherwise – a TexAgs favorite from a few years ago.

Has anyone here actually performed this repair?
13wins
AG
I fixed mine by replacing it with a Denon. Problem solved.
fire09
AG
I've soldered capacitors onto a circuit board before, but not particularly the one in your receiver. My thoughts are to go ahead and try it after you practice a bit on an old motherboard or some other antiquated electronic. Be ready to buy a new receiver if you screw up. Do you have any warranty options with Onkyo that you haven't exhausted?
agdoc2001
AG
13wins,

Sounds like you and I used the same repair manual.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
labmansid
I would contact Onkyo about it first. I had a receiver with that problem that had gone officially out of warranty. After researching online I saw where they were still fixing them, even if out of warranty. Sure enough, I called and they offered to fix it for free.
sdc177
AG
quote:
I've soldered capacitors onto a circuit board before, but not particularly the one in your receiver. My thoughts are to go ahead and try it after you practice a bit on an old motherboard or some other antiquated electronic. Be ready to buy a new receiver if you screw up. Do you have any warranty options with Onkyo that you haven't exhausted?

No warranty or other options as it's about 4 years old. Any suggestions as far the soldering tool for replacing these tiny capacitors?

sdc177
AG
quote:
I would contact Onkyo about it first. I had a receiver with that problem that had gone officially out of warranty. After researching online I saw where they were still fixing them, even if out of warranty. Sure enough, I called and they offered to fix it for free.

How old was your receiver when they did this? How long ago? Which model? The reports I've seen is that Onkyo tells people they're outta luck.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
Any suggestions as far the soldering tool for replacing these tiny capacitors?

A "pencil" style soldering iron, in the 25-30W range with a small tip should do. You'll need finer electronic rosin core solder.

A simple soldering stand with a cleaning sponge is very useful too. A desoldering tool is almost mandatory when removing parts from a circuit board. I prefer a desoldering pump over desoldering wick.

Practice first though - I suggest stripped/bare copper wire and a standard terminal strip.
sims05
AG
Pay attention to the wattage on the soldering iron you buy/borrow. You want a low wattage one to help you not heat up the other components too much during the repair.
Hornographer
I did exactly this sometime last year. Unfortunately for you, my electrical engineering buddy did the majority of the work and I was just moral support. He even messed one part up but knew enough about circuit boards to correct the issue. I didn't have high hopes going into it but I figured I'd roll the dice for $20 in materials and see what happened. A year plus later and it's still working like new. Sorry I can't be of more help. I can say that in no way does the inside look professional anymore (he left the long arms on the capacitors so they're sticking up) so don't worry about how it looks.
Noble Men
AG
Seriously call Onkyo. They did work on one of my that was outside the warranty.
HvilleAggie
AG
This happened to my roommate in the last year and he just replaced it with a Pioneer.
UmustBKidding
My kids could probably do this for you. We have smt rework station and tools, but they typically use a small soldering station. I typically recommend a simple tweezers type iron like
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-8230-/21-8230. These work GREAT on the capacitors on pc motherboards. The caps may be small but they connect to large PCB traces which sink the heat away. With these you can apply heat to both legs and pull the old part. Then form and shorten the leads of the new parts to match, flow the solder in the holes and shove them in. Have a friend that replaced thousands of motherboard caps in apple and dell motherboards with these during the capacitor scourge.
Don't cheap on the new one. 105degrees C and low esr the way to go. They may not be exactly the same height. Sure this has been widely discussed. I also prefer Rubycon, the avoided the worst of the scourge but current model nichicon's, and panasonics are probably ok.
Mouser is your friend.
sdc177
AG
quote:
My kids could probably do this for you. We have smt rework station and tools, but they typically use a small soldering station. I typically recommend a simple tweezers type iron like
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-8230-/21-8230. These work GREAT on the capacitors on pc motherboards. The caps may be small but they connect to large PCB traces which sink the heat away. With these you can apply heat to both legs and pull the old part. Then form and shorten the leads of the new parts to match, flow the solder in the holes and shove them in. Have a friend that replaced thousands of motherboard caps in apple and dell motherboards with these during the capacitor scourge.
Don't cheap on the new one. 105degrees C and low esr the way to go. They may not be exactly the same height. Sure this has been widely discussed. I also prefer Rubycon, the avoided the worst of the scourge but current model nichicon's, and panasonics are probably ok.
Mouser is your friend.

I waited to re-read this now after a few beers. Still lost but I'm convinced I need to call Onkyo.
fire09
AG
As its been stated above, any low wattage small tip iron will do. You don't need to be a EE to do it. Steady hands and practice. Only attempt this if Onkyo tells you to pound sand. If its a common issue, they will probably have a KDD out and fix it no questions asked.
AggieT
AG
quote:
Mouser is your friend.

+1

Mouser is definitely your friend.
UmustBKidding
If calling does not fix let us know. If around cs can probably lend you a hand or the tools.
sdc177
AG
Called them today and if I had my receipt they would repair it free of charge no problem. He said he will still try to take care of me and emailed me a form to fill out. Said it would take a few days before I get an answer.
James Walker `02
AG
This doesn't help you now but I have started scanning all of my receipts to PDFs. I started doing it because the thermal paper always fades out. Since starting for that reason it is also amazingly convenient when looking for receipts.
sdc177
AG
Yes been doing that as well for a few years now and depositing them in dropbox. But this was purchased in mid 2008 before I took up that practice.
sdc177
AG
Just got notice that Onkyo will repair my receiver!!!

Only cost to me is shipping to the repair center in Michigan. Not bad at all!
DayAg!
S
Had a Denon that the HDMI board was bad out of the box. Warranty fixed it, but I had to drive all the fricken way to Austin to do it. But it works well now.
labmansid
I figured they would go ahead and fix it. That's great. Better to have them do it under "warranty" than possibly mess something up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.