Whats wrong with the Nokia Lumina 900?

1,102 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by elen2009
sims05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am not super tech savy, but is seems that for all the press the Lumina 900 was getting it should be more expensive. I know that high cost does not always equal the best. However, I would think that that the Lumina 900's price would be closer to the other new smart phones.

Is it missing greatly on specs compared to the phones samsung and others are releasing?
Diggity
AG
IIRC, it's a single core with a lower resolution screen than any of the recent competition.

I think it looks like a quality phone for the price, but I picked up the HTC One X for $150 at radioshack and the specs on that one are pretty far ahead of the Lumia.

Then there's the issue with being an early adopter on a mobile operating system that hasn't gained much traction.
Kampfers
AG
Specs aren't nearly as important on WP7. I have an old samsung focus and the OS still runs without a hitch. The Lumia is a FANTASTIC phone. Don't be fooled by its "low specs".
Wildmen03
AG
I wasn't impressed with it when I checked it out at the AT&T store. Felt weird in my hand and wasn't comfortable to hold.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Specs aren't nearly as important on WP7.

I could see your point with the processor, but a mediocre display is a mediocre display, no matter what the operating system is.
reb,
AG
we don't know if it's getting Apollo which is why I can't recommend it
SpicewoodAg
AG
I think too many nerds are obsessed with Ghz and cores on their mobile phones. Put the damn thing in your hand and use it. Is it fast enough? Can you operate it easily? Do you like how it feels in your hand?

The industry news on the Lumia 900 have pointed out that Nokia hit the market with an aggressive price. They wanted attention for the phone, and price was part of their strategy. It is cheap because Nokia priced it that way, not because they made it cheap.

I haven't seen one. So I have no experience with the Lumia. But the reviews are uniformly very good. WP7 is getting very good marks. Microsoft is working very hard to get developers on it - and they have a far greater chance of succeeding than RIM.
reb,
AG
specs suddenly become a huge effing deal if thats the reason it may not get the platforms most important update
AgDev01
AG
While the specs don't live up to the SGS3 (older hardware used) the phone is solid as hell and the display is pretty damn good with albeit a low resolution. I do wish the screen would have been flush with the chassis like the 800 but that is a minor point. at the 99 dollar price point i can't think of anything better.

Interestingly enough i received an email from ATT yesterday asking me to complete a survey on my recent phone purchase (One X). After a few of the normal questions, do you like your phone, how was the service, etc. I was asked what other phones i considered. I selected the Lumia as one of the phones which must have been a key word for the survey because it then went from asking about my purchase to about 20 questions regarding that phone. These included ranking the reasons why I didn't buy it (of course unknown updates wasn't an option), to OS questions, and specs. I was then asked to watch a video and answer whether or not i would consider returning my One X for a Lumia. I am not sure what the goal of the survey was but it did convey ATT corporate is really wanting to sell the phone. All-in-all is was a very strange survey.

quote:
specs suddenly become a huge effing deal if thats the reason it may not get the platforms most important update

Based on everything i have seen that isn't the case as it appears MS has been testing WP8 on the very same phone. i have a feeling it will get the update in the same manner as old iphones do but with less BS and missing features will be due to missing hardware (NFC) and not SIRI type implementation. But the point remains until MS is ready to talk about WP8 we don't know for sure.

[This message has been edited by AgDev01 (edited 5/9/2012 1:05p).]
jagouar1
AG
quote:
The industry news on the Lumia 900 have pointed out that Nokia hit the market with an aggressive price. They wanted attention for the phone, and price was part of their strategy. It is cheap because Nokia priced it that way, not because they made it cheap.

This is the key.... for wp 7.5 they are somewhat hamstrung in the specs race because of the low end specs of all windows phones. The screen is one of those by resolution its on the lower end but quality wise its supposed to be one of the best (and there was an article about a week ago where it is the best screen out there for daylight viewing) so resolution isn't everything.

This was nokias big re-introduction to the US market so they chose to price it well below the competition for similar hardware to get people to notice it.

Wp8 is when they start competing on specs.... Personally I did not and would not get the 900 unless your current phone is broken now and you can't wait until oct. wp8 is when they get serious and bring over some of their other innovations like pureview. pureview is going to be a gamechanger in cameraphones.... really amazing tech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol__GosImB0

[This message has been edited by jagouar1 (edited 5/9/2012 1:26p).]
reb,
AG
and that sort of uncertainty is exactly what MS doesnt need right now because if people research it, and people do, they are going to find this out
Diggity
AG
you guys keep talking about how specs aren't that important, which I agree with to an extent, but if it's clear that the Lumia doesn't have the latest technology, why is $99 such a great price when phones that do have the "latest and greatest" (and are on an operating system with > 3% share of the market) can be had for $150?
SpicewoodAg
AG
Diggity - you make a valid point. But the Lumia is also different from those $150 phones. Different, whether the hardware, the OS, or both, matters to a lot of people.

The few people I know with WP7 phones like the OS a lot.
Diggity
AG
I do think it has a lot of potential and love the fact that it runs much more efficiently than Android OS devices. I would just be worried about buying into an ecosystem that's so late to the game.

Even Android, which claims a bigger market share of smart phones than iOS, has trouble getting apps that have been on iphones forever. My fear is that without Microsoft subsidizing the big name developers, we will never see their app store take off.
reb,
AG
android does not have trouble anymore
jagouar1
AG
quote:
you guys keep talking about how specs aren't that important, which I agree with to an extent, but if it's clear that the Lumia doesn't have the latest technology, why is $99 such a great price when phones that do have the "latest and greatest" (and are on an operating system with > 3% share of the market) can be had for $150?

I think too many android folks esp focus on only specs. Resolution especially.... there is far more to a good screen than resolution and pretty much every review says the lumia 900 screen is right there with the onex in terms of best overall screen on the market.

Then you factor in hardware design/build quality which nokia is one of the very best at (well above htc and samsung imo) and it makes for an attractive phone. Just know that its future is in question whether or not it will get updates (then again so is every non nexus android phone).

quote:
Even Android, which claims a bigger market share of smart phones than iOS, has trouble getting apps that have been on iphones forever. My fear is that without Microsoft subsidizing the big name developers, we will never see their app store take off.

Personally I am not one bit worried about the app store.... only because windows 8 is coming and that will get apps regardless of the phone and those apps will be able to be ported easily to wp8 so you should see development going to both.

And actually the whole subsidization aspect is causing issues with wp currently.... Nokia just announced they are paying for exclusivity on a number of big name apps for up to a year. That kind of thing creates fragmentation in wp7 (fragmentation is never a good thing) and was one of the things wp7 was supposed to do better than android.

[This message has been edited by jagouar1 (edited 5/9/2012 2:18p).]
Diggity
AG
quote:
android does not have trouble anymore

Not that I really care about instagram, but that took an eternity.

Flipboard is another one that is supposedly on the way but it's been on iOS for years.

It's obviously getting better but to say they don't have that trouble anymore is a stretch.

[This message has been edited by Diggity (edited 5/9/2012 2:15p).]
Diggity
AG
quote:
And actually the whole subsidization aspect is causing issues with wp currently.... Nokia just announced they are paying for exclusivity on a number of big name apps for up to a year. That kind of thing creates fragmentation in wp7 (fragmentation is never a good thing) and was one of the things wp7 was supposed to do better than android.

but without subsidization, do you think developers will be clamoring to port over their apps for such a small pool of potential users?
Diggity
AG
quote:
I think too many android folks esp focus on only specs. Resolution especially.... there is far more to a good screen than resolution and pretty much every review says the lumia 900 screen is right there with the onex in terms of best overall screen on the market.

I played with both at the AT&T store and liked the screen on the HTC One quite a bit better.
reb,
AG
Meanwhile, iOS is still waiting on Titanium Backup, Launcher Pro, better GAPPs, Swiftkey, Swype, ROM Manager, Tasker, live wallpapers, real widgets...

perspective.
Diggity
AG
hey...you're preaching to the choir here!
tremble
AG
Had one since launch week, have had 0 issues with it and I absolutely love it.

IF you have facebook, skydrive, and windows office and you have any other phone, you're doing it wrong.
jagouar1
AG
quote:
I played with both at the AT&T store and liked the screen on the HTC One quite a bit better.

Personal preferences I guess... I actually preferred the amoled look of the 900. first result of a onex vs lumia search on youtube comparison where the guy also preferred the 900 screen... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjfe2_zUo4

quote:
but without subsidization, do you think developers will be clamoring to port over their apps for such a small pool of potential users?

I don't mind them paying for app development.... it should be ms paying and not nokia. I think it sets a very dangerous precedent where apps become the new differentiator between phones and right now only nokia is playing that game but I could see samsung and htc get in that game too and do the same on their android phones.

[This message has been edited by jagouar1 (edited 5/9/2012 2:49p).]
m-walker
AG
quote:
and do the same on their android phones

that would be a waste of time. im sure it would be much easier to get opposing carrier's apps hacked onto android as it currently is for wp7.
m-walker
AG
I have a 900 since launch, samsung focus wp7 device before that. Just like people say they are invested in Mac\iOS, I'm the same with Windows.

I dont intend to use this phone for 2 years though. Once Nokia ups their game with better hardware and wp8 I will jump on one of those. I just couldnt imagine using the cheap launch phone focus for another 6 months.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
I think it sets a very dangerous precedent where apps become the new differentiator between phones and right now only nokia is playing that game but I could see samsung and htc get in that game too and do the same on their android phones.

As written this is silly. Apps have been a major differentiator since the iPhone came out.

Microsoft won the desktop PC OS business by winning the developers. What's new here?
elen2009
quote:
I think too many nerds are obsessed with Ghz and cores on their mobile phones

This

jagouar1
AG
quote:
As written this is silly. Apps have been a major differentiator since the iPhone came out.

This is exactly why android oem's would do it.... they are desperately looking for features to make their phones stand out from the crowd (hence all the crappy ui's they put on android) and they have gone about as far as they can with hardware specs.

Its absolutely working for nokia on wp7 where everybody will tell you the only wp7 worth owning now are the nokia devices and part of that reason is the exclusive apps they have. You know htc and samsung are are smart enough to realize they could start doing the same with their own devices. Nokia has the exclusive on all EA games amongst others and just yesterday announced the next batch of exclusive 3rd party apps. http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-announces-upcoming-exclusive-apps-for-lumia-windows-phone-devices/#more-60368

As an example lets say htc pays rovio to only put out angry birds on htc devices.... it would be something they could market to stand out (even if the game could be hacked to run on other devices it's still something they could market). It's happening on windows phone and could very easily start happening on android.

[This message has been edited by jagouar1 (edited 5/10/2012 8:37a).]
AgDev01
AG
reb,
AG
was wondering when that would show up here today
m-walker
AG
tried that on someones iphone, did not get the same result.
kwammer
nothing wrong with the phone except it is on a OS that is DOA.
m-walker
AG
kwammerkwammer obviously has no comprehension of the power of microsoft. they are a f'ing software company, you give them zero chance of competing???
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
nothing wrong with the phone except it is on a OS that is DOA.

Not true at all.
elen2009
Microsoft has no choice other than to compete. Mobile computing (cell phones, tablets, netbooks) isn't something they can just ignore.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.