Anyone know what the largest HS Football crowd was??

5,574 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Law Hall 69-72
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
47,000+ at the Trinity - SLC game is amazing.

I wonder what the record, for the largest crowd for a HS game is.
kelleraggie
Factor in the tickets sold through the four other schools playing at Texas Stadium later in the day, and the crowd size could rival the state's largest-ever high school crowd - the 1977 state title between Plano and Port Neches-Groves at Texas Stadium, which had 49,953.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/special_packages/fbhighschools/16083406.htm
Trucker 96
I was at the 1977 Plano-PNG game, although since I was only 4 years old at the time, I don't remember a damn thing. My parents moved to Plano in '69, before I was an itch in my daddy's pants.

[This message has been edited by Bob the Enzyte Guy (edited 11/28/2006 6:24p).]
WestTxAg06
AG
They said on the Southlake radio broadcast that the SLC-Trinity game was the second largest high school crowd in state history, with the aforementioned Plano/PNG game as the largest.
TigerRob
That is great to hear. I have been in Louisiana a few years since graduating from Plano East.

I went to a Louisiana state title game Bradie James senior year at West Monroe against Shaw of New Orleans in the Dome and they had right aroudn 40,000 there. The lower two levels were full and a good portion of hte upper deck in the Dome.
Bullmoose
AG
I was at that game between PNG and plano, for a high school game the crowd was huge. Damn shame my team lost.
Big Cat `93
AG
The Stephenville/PN-G crowd in 1999 is right up there. It might not have been the biggest, but it was probably the loudest.
texashornfan
Here's a list and the link:

Attendance is not an official statistic kept at Texas high school football playoff games, so state records are incomplete. Attendance for these 10 games are among the highest on record in state history:

49,953 Plano vs. Port Neches-Groves Texas Stadium 1977

45,790 Highland Park vs. Waco Cotton Bowl 1945

45,000 Houston Washington vs. Galveston Rice Stadium 1968

45,000 Dallas Adams vs. Richardson Cotton Bowl 1967

39,102 Garland vs. Katy Astrodome 1999

39,102 Stephenville vs. Port Neches-Groves Astrodome 1999

38,570 Port Neches-Groves vs. Houston Kashmere Astrodome 1977

38,374 Plano vs. Highland Park Texas Stadium 1980

38,000 Odessa vs. San Antonio Jefferson Memorial Stadium (Austin) 1946

36,000 Fort Bend Willowridge vs. Houston Yates Rice Stadium 1988

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/high_school/16074193.htm

[This message has been edited by texashornfan (edited 11/29/2006 8:05a).]
Big Cat `93
AG
I forgot about the Garland-Katy game. That one was a stunner.
shortstackaggie
AG
The Garland-Katy game was amazing I'm class of '02 from Garland and was at the game. Coming back in the second half and winning the championship was awesome.
ag4ever2010
AG
Plano is representin'.

BTHO slc
moorehead01
AG
I never thought 40K would be touched again given the # of classifications as well as the two champs per class format. Not to mention the 5A title games are broadcast on TV.

For what it's worth, there were well over 50,000 fans in Texas Stadium by the end of the Carroll-Trinity game, although to be fair, there was a game following. Had the parking loss mess not occured (many people gave up and went home after waiting 90+ minutes to get in) or the game been on a Saturday instead of Friday, the record might have been broken.

I cannot imagine playing in front of that many people as a high school kid.
texashornfan
I found it interesting 38K+ would attend a game in 1946. Did some research and found some information on the game. Two interesting names of note played in this game:

Hayden Fry for Odessa and Kyle Rote for Jefferson. Here's the link.

http://www.texasbob.com/fb_stategame.html
moorehead01
AG
Some crowd shots I found...

kelleraggie
texashornfan, I'm not too sure how accurate that list is either. For one thing the Permian Lee game in 1984 had 38k plus in attendance at Jones stadium in Lubbock, but is not listed
WestTxAg06
AG
That '46 title game was a gigantic event, from what I've heard. I think it was the first time a West Texas team was in the state title game, so everyone in the Permian Basin made the trip.

That was also the beginning of West Texas dominance in Texas high school football.
BCSGrubber
AG
Katy vs. Garland game brings back bad memories...we were up 19-14 at half and let them return the kickoff back to our 40 and then it went downhill from there
Southlake
Carroll-Trinity easily had over 50k in there, but some were early arrivals for the next game.

Late in the 4th, the stands were almost full at all levels.
texashornfan
Keller,

I can understand why accuracy would be in question. Still it's an interesting list.
kelleraggie
Texashornfan, I agree the list is interesting no doubt! It would be noce to see a complete list.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Madison vs. North Shore in 2001. At the Dome. 45,000 plus.

That's when I was sold on Vince Young.
mts6175
AG
That list isn't accurate, there have been many games that have filled the major stadiums in TX.

AMC vs. PNG at the Astrodome had over 50,000 there back in I believe 1990 or 1991. Only the top row above AMC's side wasn't full. PNG travels like crazy. I know when I was at AMC in 1992, we were involved in a three game day during the playoffs that had the Astrodome at capacity - Booker T. Washington vs. Sugarland Willowridge, Aldine vs. Houston Yeats, and AMC vs LaMarque. Was crazy.

[This message has been edited by mts6175 (edited 11/29/2006 6:18p).]
Bullmoose
AG
PNG in 4 of the top 10. Kashmere was stunned by PNG, their defensive and offensive line averaged about 250lbs whereas PNG only averaged about 185lbs, with one starting DE (Kirk Romero)being 5'8" and weighing 165.
Post removed:
by user
ToddyHill
AG
I agree with Southlake regarding last week's game. The group I was with (on the Trinity side) thought the total was probably in the range of 55,000 late in the 4th quarter. Over drinks that night (drowning our sorrows) we were wondering when the gate cutoff occurred. Halftime?

Southlake...are you going to Lubbock? I like that stadium alot. New turf, lots of upgrades to the facility.
MEXIMELT89
It is and will always be the Port Neches Groves vs. Plano 1977 State championship game.
The main reason,because it was only 1 game, 4A state championship game.
No other classifications or games.
This was relevant up until the mid 1980's, then they went to multiple team classification playoff games.
Now they count attendance for 3 + games for that day at 1 venue, for all schools playing, not an accurate attendance record .
The 1977 Texas State championship game will always have the record.
49,000 +
Port Neches Groves fans travel like no other.
There is a reason, the games, they were involved in,
have 3 of the top 8 Texas Attendance playoff records in history
Mr.Bond
AG
Jeebus what a random bump
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

DallasAggie0
Most impressive record has to be Highland Park - Waco with 45k in 1945 at the cotton bowl!

The city of Dallas had 300-400k total population at this time!
Law Hall 69-72
AG
My dad drove from Waco to see that game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.