Fantasy football - player not paying fees?

7,724 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by chris1515
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm Commish in a league, and we got to the end of the season and one of the players has gone radio silent. No replies to emails or texts from me or the friend that brought him into the league.

So I adjusted down the prize pool to reflect 11 participants and paid out the winners accordingly.

One of the players was kind of snippy about the reduced payout.
The former Commish unloaded on me for shorting the winners and said as Commish I should have put in the $100 that was not collected. Based on his personality I was blown away by the reaction.

What say you? Did I handle that right?

Next year we will do collections before the draft.
Seaaggie1144
Why should you have to pay someone else's fees? I assume you told the league that the prize money would be lower ahead of time.

Not your fault at all. End of story.
MookieBlaylock
AG
You should have collected all fees b4 the draft

You let the guy particpate for fee

You should have made up the difference and be removed from your position
chris1515
AG
Are you serious?

I'm only the commissioner because no one else wanted the job. I'd happily give it up tomorrow!

I only shared the reduced payout info when I distributed the winnings, after it looked like collections were not coming in.

The former Commish apparently would chip in and cover any shortfalls in the past. Since he won the super bowl this year, he felt the brunt of the shortfall. I see his point of view.

ac04
shorting the payout was the wrong move. your fault for not collecting up front. commish is responsible for the league's finances, if you screw it up somehow you still have to pay out the agreed upon amounts anyway.
The Porkchop Express
Well, like you said, the rules should have been in place before the season, and payment should always be made well before you start drafting and what not, so you can have time to kick out a deadbeat and find someone willing to participate.

Were you on the dead beat all year to pay? Did you make the others aware of the situation during the season or not until well after? In my limited experience, the best thing to do is let league members know about problems pretty early on so they can offer suggestions and come to a consensus that makes everyone feel OK..
The Porkchop Express
chris1515 said:

Are you serious?

I'm only the commissioner because no one else wanted the job. I'd happily give it up tomorrow!

I only shared the reduced payout info when I distributed the winnings, after it looked like collections were not coming in.

The former Commish apparently would chip in and cover any shortfalls in the past. Since he won the super bowl this year, he felt the brunt of the shortfall. I see his point of view.

If it's just $100, go ahead and Venmo the guys the rest of the money. Is it worth $100 to look like a bad and cheap commish?
chris1515
AG
In the past, like the last 20 plus years, all money is collected at the end of the year.

Interesting perspectives here. I'm glad I asked.
ac04
chris1515 said:

In the past, like the last 20 plus years, all money is collected at the end of the year.

Interesting perspectives here. I'm glad I asked.
that usually works if you personally know everyone, but even then can be dicey. plus you're trying to collect during all the commotion of the holidays and it usually winds up delaying the payouts in my experience.

collecting at the end is definitely not something you should be doing if a league includes "friend of a friend" types.
MooreTrucker
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

chris1515 said:

Are you serious?

If it's just $100, go ahead and Venmo the guys the rest of the money. Is it worth $100 to look like a bad and cheap commish?
Screw that and screw the former commish. Let him do it next year and tell the rest of them to piss off. It's not your responsibility to make good for a deadbeat idiot.

You're only mistake was letting the deadbeat float all year. At some point, on draft day preferably, you pull the plug and play with 11 teams and a bye.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm amazed at some of the answers on this topic on here.

Commish, you did it right. You hounded the deadbeat guy for the money. Maybe if everyone is pissed off you should defer that anger to the friend of this guy that was his connection to the league in the first place.

Also, I can't believe it's common for the former commissioner to pay out any unpaid fees? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard regarding prizes in fantasy football.
TxAg05
AG
Surprised by these comments as well. I don't think you should pay out extra money from your own pocket. This would not be expected in either of my two leagues.

Your league learned the lesson of collect money before draft day.
lunchbox
I'm currently in a league where we have to pay half of next year's fees before March 1st if we want to play next year. Otherwise, there is a pretty good chance you lose your team to a newbie.

The rest is due by the FFL draft.

It does help split up the cost a little and prevents people from bailing like the OP's deadbeat.

Also, regarding the deadbeat, I hope he's been kicked out of the league.
EastSideAg2002
Cat-fact and dox 'em.
Ornithopter
AG
For the deadbeat and the former commissioner

https://shipyourenemiesglitter.com/
Blindside05
AG
No chance I'm putting in an extra $100 bc some ******* doesn't want to pay out. Not like you benefited from him not paying. I'd have done the same thing then just kick the dude out of the league.

If he decides he wants back in I'd put it up to a league vote and make him pay a hefty fine that covers this years losses to the league winners then split the rest with everyone.
E
AG
When the league starts, is there a way to block a players transactions (waiver pickups, drops, changes to starting lineus, etc)? I would do this to anyone who doesn't pay before season starts.

We are all adults. You can afford the $100 venmo.

You should group text shame the guy who didn't pay. Tell everyone there was a reduced payout cause X refuses to pay.
Blindside05
AG
I had to deal with something similar two years ago when covid was making everything uncertain. Did everything as normal but for some reason only one person decided to pay.

After a month into the season I got tired of trying to collect dues so I said **** it and sent the one guy his money back then sent a league message saying that since nobody decided to pay then we weren't going to have a payout this year.

Everything was fine until the league winner decided to call me up and started *****ing about not getting paid, which was ironic bc he's the worst when it comes to paying his dues in a timely manner. Dude swore he had paid and his buddy he brought into the league did the same. Sent both pics of Venmo history showing neither had sent **** since previous season. I just about deleted the league after 10+ years but my other friends/members talked me out of it
benMath08
AG
Really weird takes that the commish should be responsible for unpaid fees.

Are you guys giving the commish a share of the pot in order to take on this risk?
Iowaggie
AG
Disappointing when leagues end up breaking up, but it does show value in getting money in advance and having clearly stated rules on trades, draft order, etc.

I like the idea of getting half the money for the next season by a certain date with the other half due at draft (or day before)
ac04
clear case of commissioner incompetence costing league members money and this is just accepted by some. incredible.
Blindside05
AG
ac04 said:

clear case of commissioner incompetence costing league members money and this is just accepted by some. incredible.

But like a poster said above, why does the commish have to take on all the risk with no reward? If the commish was getting a cut of the pot every year for dealing with headaches of running a league, then I'd agree. Otherwise, the commish is just like any other member but has the unfortunate task of dealing with crap like this
MooreTrucker
AG
ac04 said:

Completely stupid take. The deadbeat is who cost league members money, not the commish.
boy09
AG
Man, i can't imagine why no one ever wants to step up and be the commissioner of their league.. Guess it will remain a mystery.
Mike Elko
AG
OP, is the deadbeat TheCougarHunter, by chance?

Always collect league dues before the draft. Deadbeats are the worst. It sucks to be in a league with them.
ac04
by not collecting the money up front, the commish put the league's payouts at risk. managing the league's money is the most important job of the commissioner and in this scenario he clearly failed. no idea why you guys are having so much trouble understanding this.
Blindside05
AG
ac04 said:

by not collecting the money up front, the commish put the league's payouts at risk. managing the league's money is the most important job of the commissioner and in this scenario he clearly failed. no idea why you guys are having so much trouble understanding this.

Ok, OP failed…… but what happens every other year when it goes smoothly? Does he get rewarded for doing such a good job?
ac04
no. if collecting money from 12 people and holding it for 4 months is so difficult that you need a reward at the end for not screwing it up, don't be the commissioner of a FF league.
BMX Bandit
A+ trolling by ac04. Bravo sir.
MooreTrucker
AG
ac04 said:

no. if collecting money from 12 people and holding it for 4 months is so difficult that you need a reward at the end for not screwing it up, don't be the commissioner of a FF league.
He didn't want to be commish in the first place, but no one else did either. Seems like your ideas on that wouldn't help the situation at all.
ac04
it doesn't matter if he wanted to or not, once he decides to do it he accepts that responsibility.
Max Power
AG
The situation you're explaining is exactly why I don't serve as commissioner anymore. Had to hound at least one person every year. Only one year did someone never pay. I gave them the chance and told them if they didn't pay I was going to reduce all the payouts and I would also tell the entire league who didn't pay, and they wouldn't be invited next year. The winners understood, anyone who says the commissioner should pay their fee is ridiculous, it's a pain in the behind of a job, the only real perk is being able to set the draft date/time and establish the scoring/roster situation if you are picky about that stuff.

You did the right thing, if they have a problem with it then you can renounce your position and they can figure out the new one.
The Porkchop Express
It's your job as commissioner to collect the money.
You didn't do your job.
Now you're making the league winners take less money because you didn't handle your business.
And complaining about $100.
Definitely resign as commissioner today.
MooreTrucker
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

It's your job as commissioner to collect the money.
You didn't do your job.
Now you're making the league winners take less money because you didn't handle your business.
And complaining about $100.
Definitely resign as commissioner today.
Did you read his posts? He didn't want to be the commish in the first place and would happily resign.

I swear, some people just come to take shots and don't know what they're talking about.
chris1515
AG
The only reason I would even consider putting in the money and making everyone whole, is the previous Commish ran the league for 20 something years and did a fantastic job. So IMO he's earned a lot of respect. He wanted to step down two years ago, and I took over when no one else wanted to.

$100 is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. however the idea that a commissioner should be out a single dollar of their own money for something like this is laughable to me.

Clearly collections will be done before the season going forward. Still on the fence about making everyone whole just to preserve some goodwill.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.