Jaguars of Jacksonville

3,511 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by medwriter
AGSWINAGAIN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What an Urban show. I've always wondered why the Jags did not sing Tebow when he was available (after Denver). At the very least he would sell tix/merch. Maaaaaaaybe he would've improved his QBing with some Jag faith and support.
boy09
AG
There's a reason Tebow didn't last in the league..
MookieBlaylock
AG
Such a timely and relevant Tebow post

toucan82
Because he loves Jesus?
Ags #1
AG
And urban is fired
Sponge
AG
toucan82 said:

Because he loves Jesus?

He doesn't really, so the Lord has smoted him!
bilbobag
Urban wanted to be fired and his actions were strategic. He was miserable after the first week.

He makes OB look like a saint.

Once the whole story gets out, I would be surprised if he's coaching anytime soon. Not saying he won't but it will be awhile.
Txhuntr
AG
Wow! Happened so fast that he didn't even have time for the onset of his headaches this time
92Ag95
AG
I've always thought Urban was a do.osh....all the way back to when he was at Utah.
Can't stand the guy.
MookieBlaylock
AG
A white guy named Urban
WES2006AG
AG
Guess he can go spend more time with his family again.
OCEN99
AG
bilbobag said:

Urban wanted to be fired and his actions were strategic. He was miserable after the first week.

He makes OB look like a saint.

Once the whole story gets out, I would be surprised if he's coaching anytime soon. Not saying he won't but it will be awhile.

You mean there's more than fingerblasting random coeds and kicking Lambo in his injured hamstring?
AtlAg05
AG
WES2006AG said:

Guess he can go spend more time with his family again.

And Count de Monet
Max Power
AG
The Jacksonville job is significantly more attractive than Houston so they'll have some good candidates. I would think Leftwich, Bienemy, and Moore will all be on the short list.
The Porkchop Express
Would it be too on the nose for Urban to take this hiatus to be on the next season of Dancing with the Stars?

MookieBlaylock
AG
Bienemy has more baggage than Meyer allegedly

Saint Pablo
MookieBlaylock said:

Bienemy has more baggage than Meyer allegedly

If I recall correctly, Bienemy's issues all stem from back when he was in college and the early 2000's. Urban has been a ****** his entire adult life.
MookieBlaylock
AG
His offense is garbage

Mahomes just chunks it up to #10

Good luck replicating that
mike_ags_fan12

Don't be an ass and you get your money.
92Ag95
AG
Urban....just FYI coach....

This is what happens when you think you're the sh.t.

That is all.

Never could stand that fcker....he's always thought so highly of himself.
. . .

Quote:

Urban Meyer burst into a room full of players at the Jaguars' facility. He was furious.

One of his players had missed an assignment during a preseason game, leading to a busted play. Meyer was enraged when it happened. A day later, he was still fuming. If the mistake ever happened again, Meyer warned, he would cut every single one of them.

"And do you know what would happen if I cut you guys?" Meyer said, according to four people in the room. "You couldn't get a job paying more than $15 an hour."

The implication that his players were capable of little more than playing football left some angry, others offended. "I lost all respect for him after that," a veteran player in the room said.
Quote:

"The most toxic environment I've ever been a part of," a veteran member of the football operations staff said. "By far. Not even close."
Quote:

Receiver D.J. Chark, who signed with the Lions last week after spending the first four years of his career with the Jaguars, said Meyer routinely threatened to fire coaches and cut players. "He feels like threats are what motivates," Chark said. "I know he would come up to us and tell us if the receivers weren't doing good, he wasn't going to fire us, he was going to fire our coach. He would usually say that when the coach was around."
Quote:

Signs of dysfunction were apparent early on. Several sources said Meyer stepped into the job as if he had all the answers, even though he had never coached in the NFL.
Quote:

Meyer said he conducted a six-month deep dive on the NFL that included interviews with his former Florida and Ohio State players as well as a study of the salary cap. But multiple sources said Meyer was unfamiliar with star players around the league, including 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel, Seahawks safety Jamal Adams and Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, a three-time NFL defensive player of the year.

"Who's this 99 guy on the Rams?" Meyer asked one staffer during the season, according to a source. "I'm hearing he might be a problem for us."
Quote:

In his first staff meeting, Meyer criticized the way NFL teams operate, noting specifically that coaches failed to take proper care of players' health. And then, according to multiple sources in the meeting, Meyer said: "I hate scouts. Scouts are lazy." It was an especially jarring comment given that scouts were also in the room.
Quote:

In training camp, Meyer pushed for live contact drills despite objections from veteran coaches. One of those drills fell on what Meyer called "Winner and Loser" days; two players would compete, and the winner would be announced over the loudspeaker. After one blocking drill, Meyer insisted Chark do extra reps; the receiver suffered a broken finger, underwent surgery and missed the preseason.

Meyer also forbade players from speaking with opponents on the field before games, once claimed the Jaguars lost because they dressed sloppily and told offensive players he wanted them to dunk the ball over the goalpost after touchdowns even though doing so would draw a fine from the league. But more than Meyer's coaching quirks, the way he treated people particularly troubled some in the organization.
Quote:

Not long after veteran receiver John Brown signed with the Jaguars as a free agent, he ran the wrong route in practice. To correct the mistake, Brown, who is from Florida, and rookie quarterback Trevor Lawrence ran through the route again after practice. Meyer walked up to the pair.

"Hey, Trevor, you've got to slow it down for him," Meyer said, according to sources. "These boys from the South, their transcripts ain't right."
Quote:

Another time, during a meeting that also included members of the coaching and personnel staffs, Meyer berated a player so harshly that the player cried. According to two sources, Meyer slammed the door after departing the meeting, leaving others to console the player. The next day, one of the other staff members present confronted Meyer about the incident in what one source described as a tense exchange.

Sources said Meyer repeatedly belittled his staff to its members' faces. He told his assistants he was a winner and they were losers, then demanded they defend their resumes. One player said it was coaches often looked "drained" whenever they left staff meetings with Meyer.

"The players got it bad when it came to him talking to us," a veteran player said, "but I believe the coaches got it worse."

"You've got players in fear that they're going to lose their jobs," Chark said. "You've got coaches who he belittled in front of us, and I can only imagine what he was doing behind closed doors. I'm surprised he lasted that long, to be honest with you."
Quote:

Meyer's grip on the team continued to slip. In a December game against the Rams, second-year running back James Robinson fumbled on the opening possession, the second straight week in which he had fumbled.

"Get him out," Meyer told his coaches during the game, according to two sources. "He's done. Put Carlos Hyde in. He's not playing anymore."

Robinson did not touch the ball again for 26 plays but late in the game was put back in for three carries in garbage time despite the Jaguars trailing by 30 points.

"I'm not sure what the point of that was," Robinson, who was dealing with injuries in the week leading up to the game, said later.

The decision also confused Lawrence, the 2021 No. 1 pick, who said he discussed the situation with Meyer and the coaching staff. "Bottom line is James is one of our best players, and he's got to be on the field and we addressed it," Lawrence said.

Behind the scenes, the Robinson situation was even more divisive. After the game, Meyer told reporters he wasn't aware of Robinson's extended absence and put the benching on Robinson's position coach, Bernie Parmalee.

"You'd have to ask Bernie," Meyer said. "I don't get too involved. I don't micromanage that."

In a staff meeting the next morning, according to multiple sources, Meyer denied ever telling his coaches to bench Robinson. He said his assistants had misinterpreted him.

"I feel like he put us in very bad positions and, when the questions came, he deferred the responsibility, which made it look like we were just out there being the worst team in the league," Chark said. "But we weren't put in position (to succeed)."

Chark and others agreed that Meyer hampered players, most notably Lawrence. "Trevor is a great quarterback," Chark said. "He was not put in good positions.

"He told us from day one that he was going to maximize our value," Chark added. "And I truly can't tell you one player that maximized their value on the Jags this year."
BowSowy
AG
Quote:

"Hey, Trevor, you've got to slow it down for him," Meyer said, according to sources. "These boys from the South, their transcripts ain't right."

I'm sure Urban just forgot that Lawrence is from Georgia, right? What a clown
medwriter
How this guy ever appeared on the NFL radar is beyond me. I blame the Jaguars' front office as much as anyone. They didn't properly vet this guy before the hire.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.