Handcuffs

821 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can somebody explain the handcuff thing to me, please? Somebody mentioned taking Gainwell as a handcuff to Miles Sanders.

I get that the idea is to take the backup to a star player, but if there are other players available that are as good or better than Gainwell, like Damien Willams or Perrine or Lats Murray, why would you do that? Either during the draft or now in the middle of the season...
boy09
AG
If Miles Sanders misses time, you know for sure that Gainwell is getting the bulk of the work for the entire period that Sanders is out. If you pick up someone like Perine, there's a good chance he could only start 1 or 2 games before Mixon comes back. If Sanders were to miss like 5 games, that could put you in a bind.

It's all just personal preference.
Saint Pablo
Piggybacking onto the handcuff thread, someone just offered me Courtland Sutton for Alexander Mattison...feels like it should be an easy take, but I am hesitant.
EliteZags
AG
as the CEH owner, I'm considering whether to grab Darrel Williams now at the expense of continuing to stash Jeff Wilson
I also have Cook/Cordarrelle/Murray/Gainwell, can start 2 plus flex but I'd enjoy cheatcoding Cordarrelle in my WR3 slot to be able to roll out a 4RB lineup while waiting on Michael Thomas in my IR, so ideally would like a reliable RB3 to emerge out from Murray/Gainwell/Wilson

also- if AJ Green has another good game should I try to offer him for Mattison straightup?
have Theilen/OBJ/Waddle/Juju/Thomas (+Patterson) for 3 slots, but as stated above would like to just start Theilen/Thomas/Patterson down the stretch

rest of roster pretty well anchored Mahomes/Mark Andrews/Prater/Bills

dixichkn
AG
I'm currently patting myself on the back for picking up Damien Williams and Mattison to cuff my two regular starters……

Look, no one's saying you have to chain yourself to a bunch of backup RBs at the expense of passing up a "hot hand". But when you drafted your starting RBs you did so for a reason. You believe in that team's running game. Would only make sense to at LEAST have your RB1 cuffed
oh no
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Piggybacking onto the handcuff thread, someone just offered me Courtland Sutton for Alexander Mattison...feels like it should be an easy take, but I am hesitant.
if you badly need wr help and like Sutton's volume, take it, but for now, Lock is the QB in Den and he sucks and Mattison could be an elite RB1 league winner by FF playoff time if Dalvin gets injured and Dalvin is already playing through ankle injury right now
oh no
AG
I don't have Aaron Jones, but I'm holding AJ Dillon on the bench just in case- could be elite late in FF season.
Saint Pablo
oh no said:

Saint Pablo said:

if you badly need wr help and like Sutton's volume, take it, but for now, Lock is the QB in Den and he sucks and Mattison could be an elite RB1 league winner by FF playoff time if Dalvin gets injured and Dalvin is already playing through ankle injury right now
I know I don't want to ship the upside, I was trying to get the guy to do the same deal for Sony Michel since he owns Hendo....at WR I have Kupp, Allen Robinson, Tee Higgins, OBJ, Waddle, and Jeudy in the IR so I may just pass on Mattison.
Iowaggie
AG
It really depends on context, so 2 variable test for handcuffs (for me). No 3. The 4 questions to ask oneself.

1. How well is the starter doing? I don't think there is any need to handcuff the starting RB that isn't doing well.
2. Is it pretty clear who the handcuff will be?
3. What else is available at RB (depends on league size)?
4. Where are we at in the season and how is roster looking? When byes are done, I'd much rather carry the clear handcuff of a top 15 RB than carry the 40th ranked RB. Near the end of byes, I'll also try to secure the defenses I want for playoffs, even if it means carrying 3 (once byes are done), if roster size allows.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.