Youtube TV vs NBC, and a streaming service likely to get NFL Sunday Ticket

1,180 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by amercer
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those with YouTubeTV, they are in standoff with NBC/Comcast. Also, Apple TV may get NFL's Sunday Ticket when current deal with DirecTV runs out.

NBC/Comcast deal ends Thursday. Google said it would lower the monthly cost of YouTube TV from $64.99 to $54.99 while NBCUniversal's content is unavailable on the platform. NBCU's Peacock had 54 million subscribers as of June 30, though only around 3 million are believed to be paying for a $4.99 per-month ad-free subscription. The service lost $363 million in the second quarter, with $122 million in revenue.

AT&T-owned DirecTV has offered "Sunday Ticket" since 1994, and currently pays $1.5 billion per season for it. AT&T is reportedly uninterested in renewing when its deal expires after next season. The league may sell its "Sunday Ticket" package to Apple, creating a partnership with the leading phone maker and world's largest company by market cap. Amazon was reportedly in the lead for the out-of-market games package, for which the NFL is seeking $2 billion to $2.5 billion per season. Disney is interested as well.

Curious as to how many people buy the full Sunday Ticket package. We've done it a couple times, but just prefer NFL Red Zone instead.
Macarthur
I had the NFL ticket one season as a promotion. It was great but not worth the cost for me because my team is local. If I lived in another part of the country, I prob would.

I also prefer NFL Redzone

I have been on youtubetv for about a month now. I like it. Takes some getting used to how to move around, but for the money I'm saving, thumbs up.
redag06
I have had NFL sunday ticket for 7 years, I think I've paid full price once. I will definitley cancel DirecTv if they no longer have Sunday Ticket.
Iowaggie
AG
redag06 said:

I have had NFL sunday ticket for 7 years, I think I've paid full price once. I will definitley cancel DirecTv if they no longer have Sunday Ticket.

I think by itself, it was, in general, a money loser for DTV. The revenue it brought in from customers did not equal what it cost, but I'm guessing it became a loss leader for them that they won't be able to afford with Amazon, Apple, and other streaming services entering the sports fray. But with Thursday, Sunday, Monday evening and the late game being (mostly) national, I'm not thinking I'm ever going to pay extra for it. I would probably pay for it as a small add on.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Living in Oregon and being a Cowboys fan, I have to find illegal streams probably 3-4 games a year. It's annoying so I'd likely pay for Sunday Ticket.
Ag Natural
AG
I will gladly by Sunday Ticket when its available on a service where I dont need a dish.
Texker
AG
I dumped Dish last year for YouTube TV. There was an adjustment but worked out. Saving $100/mo doesn't such. I like the streaming as I mounted a TV on a cart and can wheel it outside. On Sunday I roll the cart into the den and have Redzone on tv and a game on the other.
redag06
The only part about the streaming aspect I don't look forward to, is the ease of pressing a button and jumping between games.
Macarthur
redag06 said:

The only part about the streaming aspect I don't look forward to, is the ease of pressing a button and jumping between games.

Agree. That's the sucky part is not being able to jump back and forth quickly.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Youtubetv needs to hurry up and get PiP. They've supposedly been working on it for like 2 years.
PatAg
AG
Macarthur said:

redag06 said:

If that is in regard to YoutubeTV, you can just press down twice and you are on your "recent" channels.
CFTXAG10
AG
I heard yesterday that an option on the table moving forward will be a price for individual team packages which would be AWESOME
Gramercy Riffs
AG
redag06 said:

It's not difficult at all to do that with YTTV. Two clicks.
redag06
PatAg said:

Macarthur said:

redag06 said:

If that is in regard to YoutubeTV, you can just press down twice and you are on your "recent" channels.
Did not know this. I will definitely be switching to YoutubeTv once this switch is made.
amercer
AG
I've got YouTube TV and it's pretty good. I don't see how NBC doesn't blink here. Seems like most YouTube subscribers would be happy to take $10 off their bill and pay $5 directly to NBC for all the same content (I know I'm fine with that)
amercer
AG
Also, red zone is $11 a month on YouTube tv. Might add that on in November when kids sports wrap up and I'll actually be around on Sundays.
ApachePilot
AG
I've had Sunday Ticket for years. I love having every Hawks game. It's also cool to watch matchups I want to see and the ability to go to a close game rather than watch a blowout.

If my Hawks keep sucking it might be worth it to cancel
amercer
AG
And NBC folds….

I kind of wanted the $10 off my bill
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.