********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

197,796 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I felt like both early 4th down decisions were good. Not getting either was a huge turning point in the game. Sometimes that's how this game works.
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

Southlake said:

jr15aggie said:

At a guess, about 75% of the wins in the NFL could be viewed as "almost a loss". That's not really a great way to evaluate a 6-2 team.
Not talking about other teams. Talking about the Cowboys. And yes it is a factor.

Well, maybe you should talk about other teams. I'm guilty of looking at the Cowboys in a vacuum too, but the reality is most teams that win an NFL football game almost found a way to lose it.

This years Cowboys have played 8 games and played poorly 1 time. Just 1. In every other game, even the tough/close games, it has been clear this is a very good team.

This was more about McCarthy, not the team. You know, Mr. 4th Dien and fake punts and all. If we're gonna hang with the top 5 teams, we need a coach that can too.
Ag Natural
AG
Southlake said:

jr15aggie said:

Southlake said:

jr15aggie said:

At a guess, about 75% of the wins in the NFL could be viewed as "almost a loss". That's not really a great way to evaluate a 6-2 team.
Not talking about other teams. Talking about the Cowboys. And yes it is a factor.

Well, maybe you should talk about other teams. I'm guilty of looking at the Cowboys in a vacuum too, but the reality is most teams that win an NFL football game almost found a way to lose it.

This years Cowboys have played 8 games and played poorly 1 time. Just 1. In every other game, even the tough/close games, it has been clear this is a very good team.

This was more about McCarthy, not the team. You know, Mr. 4th Dien and fake punts and all. If we're gonna hang with the top 5 teams, we need a coach that can too.
I think the counterpoint is why be overly critical of McCarthy and ignore the bad games put on the board this year by Andy Reid, Sean McVeah, etc.

I've brought this up before. McCarthy is largely derided by almost every analyst I follow in the podcast world. I just don't get it. Granted, I didn't follow him in Green Bay.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Well, he's a bad coach
Ag Natural
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Well, he's a bad coach
Based on what? This year he's been good if you go by record, level of effort and general preparedness. Denver was the first negative blip.
98Ag99Grad
AG
For me it goes back to my 4th down post and having a feel for it. He's almost like a robot- sheet says go for it so I guess I will. I know he was heavily criticized for not following analytics in GB and made a point to get on board in his year off from coaching after getting fired. Now it's like he's lost his feel. That's my biggest gripe with him.
jtstanley4621
AG
jr15aggie said:

I see what you're saying but that kind of statement is dangerously close rhetoric to "half the teams in the country lost today too."
Ag Natural
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

For me it goes back to my 4th down post and having a feel for it. He's almost like a robot- sheet says go for it so I guess I will. I know he was heavily criticized for not following analytics in GB and made a point to get on board in his year off from coaching after getting fired. Now it's like he's lost his feel. That's my biggest gripe with him.
Well, if you listen to the press conferences, he claims to not blindly go with the analytics. The most notable was the long FG he tried against the Chargers. The analytics said no. But he tried it anyway because he felt that his kicker needed another kick to get him back on track.

I'll say it again. Coaching is 90% preparation and culture. If you want to judge your coach solely based on how they decide to go for it on 4th downs.. then fine. I disagree with that.
jteagle
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Well, he's a bad coach
Head coaching record
Regular season:
137-89-2 (.605)
Postseason:
10-8 (.556)
Career:
147-97-2 (.602)
Super Bowl
1-0 (1.000)

Yep he's terrible
Ag12thman
AG
Anytime you're talking about McCarthy's abilities as a head coach, you have to consider that he benefited from coaching two of the best QBs to ever play the game in Favre and Rodgers. We just saw how huge this is with the Rodgers-less Packers this past weekend. They win that game against KC easily if Rodgers plays.

He has made some really stupid decisions in several instances this season, IMO.
Macarthur
Ag12thman said:

Anytime you're talking about McCarthy's abilities as a head coach, you have to consider that he benefited from coaching two of the best QBs to ever play the game in Favre and Rodgers. We just saw how huge this is with the Rodgers-less Packers this past weekend. They win that game against KC easily if Rodgers plays.

I haven't looked into the specifics of this criteria, but this guy would say you are wrong.

jteagle
AG
Ag12thman said:

While it is true that he has benefited from coaching those two QBs, name me one head coach that won a Super Bowl without superstar players. I'm not claiming that McCarthy is any kind of genius but he isn't a bad coach.
gigem1223
Ag12thman said:

Has Rodgers won a ring or even been back to the dance with out McCarthy?
dave94
AG
There are just some people (sports media included) that just hate on McCarthy. I don't get it.
Ag Natural
AG
Ag12thman said:

Many would argue that Mccarthy resurrected Favres career when he got to GB. In fact, Rodgers might not be Rodgers if he didn't develope under Mccarthy.

Even with Dak, how much better has he looked these last two seasons? Does the HC and long time QB developer get zero credit?
jr15aggie
AG
Gregory out "multiple" weeks with a calf injury. Damn... what a year. Just one blow after another.
Grapesoda2525
Just seems like injuries might be McCarthy's undoing. We haven't had a healthy team since the guy has been here.

I know last year our injury situation was so bad that I just wanted us to lose games because it was impossible for us to make noise in the playoffs. I hope it doesn't get to that point again, but no tank and no Gregory freaking sucks.
98Ag99Grad
AG
so is Parsons back to rushing the QB again?
Txhuntr
AG
I dunno man. We're way thinner at LB with Cox out and smith gone than we were at the beginning of the season
STX Ag
AG
Maybe we can resign Jaylon? Everyone needs a good high five.
Macarthur
Sucks but injuries happen to everyone. Next man up.

DannyDuberstein
AG
DLaw should be close. That was a 6-8 week recovery time from mid-September
gigem1223
Ravens lookin like the cowboys last week. Harbaugh must be a terrible coach
Chipotlemonger
AG
The goal tending for McCarthy around here is ridiculous.
gigem1223
I don't have a strong opinion either way on McCarthy but to call the guy a bad coach with his resume, while he also currently has the Boys sitting at 6-2 is ridiculous in my opinion.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I wouldn't call it "ridiculous". It's something you might disagree with but it's certainly up for debate.
gigem1223
Chipotlemonger said:

I wouldn't call it "ridiculous". It's something you might disagree with but it's certainly up for debate.

How is it up for debate? His resume and the results so far this season speak for themselves. Has he made some mistakes? Sure. Literally every coach in the nfl does weekly. What doesn't get pointed out is how many things he's done well.
dave94
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

It is most definitely ridiculous to claim that he's a bad coach. Good lord.
STX Ag
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

The goal tending for McCarthy around here is ridiculous.
Cheer up pumpkin. There's always a team in Houston you can root for if you don't like The Boys coaches.
ChemAg15
AG
Poll: Is Mike McCarthy better than Jason Garrett? How close is it?
jtstanley4621
AG
He's better than Garrett but that should be a bare minimum requirement for any coach in the NFL.

McCarthy gives his coordinators more freedom IMO which is a good thing but I still just get a bad feeling thinking about him managing a close playoff game
Chipotlemonger
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

He's better than Garrett but that should be a bare minimum requirement for any coach in the NFL.

McCarthy gives his coordinators more freedom IMO which is a good thing but I still just get a bad feeling thinking about him managing a close playoff game
Fully agreed on all counts.
MookieBlaylock
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Well he has won an NFC championship and. A Supe Bowl
Something only what 6 active coaches have done

jtstanley4621
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

jtstanley4621 said:

That is correct. But at this point that was 10 years ago, technically 11 if you count the NFL season it counted towards (2010). At this point I think that's a tired thing to lean on IMO
gigem1223
jtstanley4621 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

jtstanley4621 said:

That is correct. But at this point that was 10 years ago, technically 11 if you count the NFL season it counted towards (2010). At this point I think that's a tired thing to lean on IMO

So is Sean Payton in the same boat?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.