********** Dallas Cowboys 2021 Season Thread **********

197,835 Views | 2808 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PooDoo
ChemAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think you're right.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Hate playing for the FG there after the day Zurlein had…what the hell was that third down call!? A screen like 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage?

The one with the hold was a panic outlet pass as protection collapsed and his initial progressions were not there. That wasn't some designed first option LOL. The next one was well designed to at least get them back in range
jr15aggie
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Proved he was a liability. How many holding calls were called on him? How many plays did his man affecf?

Went up against one of the best dlines in the NFL with our future HOF guard out. I think they all proved to be a strength tonight.
Grapesoda2525
jr15aggie said:

ChemAg15 said:

Proved he was a liability. How many holding calls were called on him? How many plays did his man affecf?

Went up against one of the best dlines in the NFL with our future HOF guard out. I think they all proved to be a strength tonight.
Williams has always been kind of underwhelming. Even putting aside the fact that he's a sip.
gigem1223
The OL was great tonight. We passed the ball 58x and they gave up 1 sack that was an extended play outside the packet. Hard to be nothing but impressed with all of them. Especially against that front.
Saint Pablo
DannyDuberstein said:

Saint Pablo said:

Hate playing for the FG there after the day Zurlein had…what the hell was that third down call!? A screen like 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage?

The one with the hold was a panic outlet pass as protection collapsed and his initial progressions were not there. That wasn't some designed first option LOL. The next one was well designed to at least get them back in range
Ahhh
jtstanley4621
AG
The extremely battered Cowboys fan in me thinks that Moore and the coaching staff kind of surrendered the run game because Tampa Bay's front 7 is so good and now will turn around and go "okay nobody is better than that, now we can run OUR offense" and nullify what we just saw dak and the WR unit capable of doing
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

The OL was great tonight. We passed the ball 58x and they gave up 1 sack that was an extended play outside the packet. Hard to be nothing but impressed with all of them. Especially against that front.
Agree. Don't forget this TB team had 8 sacks on Rodgers and Mahomes their last two games.
Baby Billy
AG
As said on the game thread, time to come to terms that Zeke is just a slightly above average RB. He is great at picking up blocks, I'll give him that. Just not what he used do be. Hope he proves me wrong throughout the rest of the year
TyHolden
AG
Didn't watch the whole game but the stats look bad. Winning the TO battle 4-1, Penalty yards 2-1, and TOP, and still losing is a tough pill to swallow.
Macarthur
ehrmantraut said:

As said on the game thread, time to come to terms that Zeke is just a slightly above average RB. He is great at picking up blocks, I'll give him that. Just not what he used do be. Hope he proves me wrong throughout the rest of the year
I'm actually going to disagree. I think Zeke looks leaner and quicker.

Look, he wasn't going to run much tonight. The game plan was to not keep banging your head against a wall with your best OL out. TB's run defense is historically stout.

Let's give it a couple of weeks but I do think Zeke looks diff. Don't know if that shows up on the stat sheet, but I think it too early to give up on him. The other thing I think we saw with Hard Knocks is that Zeke is a pretty good teammate. He works hard and is a tough SOB. That short yardage first down he got was huge.

Ultimately, he's not going anywhere so the contract is a sunk cost. They might be able to walk away this next offseason.
Kashchei
AG
Cowboys have come up short in these kinds of games for 25 years now. Nothing new.
Ag Natural
AG
TB was not going to allow any running. It was pretty rare for a Dallas coach to go against the "game plan" and play to the alignment of the defense. You can't really argue with the results. This is going to be a really interesting season. I think Zeke looks great. This just wasn't his game. He will have his games.
Grapesoda2525
We should definitely be a playoff team this year.
Ag Natural
AG
I did say Dak would look great. He did. On defense it looks like they are struggling to decide who is good. It was pretty obvious tonight that Parsons should not leave the field.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Wonder what the amount of $ per yard run by Zeke was this game. $100,000?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Lamb will never be elite bc his hands arent good enough
Skinny Zeke looks quicker but pollard may be better
Time fob a new kicker
gigem1223
Brown and Lewis are a HUGE weakness on the D. Trufant def could've helped had the front office even tried to get him. Diggs is going to have a great year. Weren't too many ball completed on his side of the field.
jr15aggie
AG
Ag Natural said:

TB was not going to allow any running. It was pretty rare for a Dallas coach to go against the "game plan" and play to the alignment of the defense. You can't really argue with the results. This is going to be a really interesting season. I think Zeke looks great. This just wasn't his game. He will have his games.

I was laughing when, after like 10 straight successful pass plays, we hand the ball to Zeke and Tampa had a safety run blitzing and he made the tackle at the line. Unreal.

Cowboys are gonna be really good in the air and really good on the ground. Probably the best front 7 we'll play all year.
jr15aggie
AG
gigem1223 said:

Brown and Lewis are a HUGE weakness on the D.

While I agree, we played a pass catching group that rivals our own. Studs at every spot including TE. I think we'll be OK going forward and hope those guys can settle in. TB12 also made some perfect throws against good coverage.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Antonio Brown looked completely diff than he has in 3 years
Evans was garbage
The bucs rb group was awful

Cowboys OL is back to top 5

Gonna be a good season
TyHolden
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

We should definitely be a playoff team this year.
they're in the nfc East so yeah always in the conversation. Very rare to get 4 TOs and lose though to anybody. Bama gives us 4 gifts and we smoke them.
NukeAg10
AG
Evans was clearly hurt, but I agree with the rest.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I was 100% wrong on Dak being rusty. Dude looked great although I'm not a huge fan of almost 60 passes in a game. I'll withhold judgement on our running game until we play someone without the best D-line in the league. Getting Martin back will be nice too. All in all, much better than I expected and I'm optimistic about the season as long as Dak stays healthy.
Grapesoda2525
Only 2 things about the game pissed me off.

1) that 40 second drive TB had for a touchdown. Defense didn't even make them earn it.

2) the no call on the PI. I know we should've executed in the red zone better, but the official just can't swallow his whistle to decide the game. That ref is probably going to be roasted on radio / tv talk shows all over the country until sundays games begin.
mbl12
AG
Anthony brown is an absolutely liability and Connor Williams should be replaced by McGovern. It felt awesome having our two tackles back and healthy, and this should be a top 5 group with Martin back
TMACsDaMan
I think Zuerlein is on notice this week. Aside from the 60 yard attempt, missing the extra point hijacked the momentum and so did missing the chip shot field goal.
gigem1223
mbl12 said:

Anthony brown is an absolutely liability and Connor Williams should be replaced by McGovern. It felt awesome having our two tackles back and healthy, and this should be a top 5 group with Martin back

I don't get the constant Connor Williams hate. He played a helluva game last night going against 2 of the better DTs in the league.
Macarthur
I agree that he has def gotten better each year. He just didn't have enough junk in his trunk his first year or so.

He's gotten bigger and stronger. I do think McGovern has passed him though. If Williams is your 6th best lineman, I think you have a pretty darn solid group.
MookieBlaylock
AG
If you are gonna be bad defensively you need turnovers to cover it up
This group is going to be big plays all season both ways

Macarthur
The biggest overreaction always happens after the first week.

I think it's bit too early to say the defense is 'bad'. They're def not going to be top 10 in the league because they just don't have that talent level, but I think we saw enough positive signs to think they could be a middle 1/3 of the league. If they are middle of the pack, they should be able to win 10 games with this offense.

The big positives that I think bode well for the season:

The defense AT LEAST looked coordinated.
They are much faster than in years past
The OL was more than solid against a top 5 front 7 (maybe top 2) and that's with our best lineman out.
Dak is good

Those are things that I think will allow you to function well and should win games.

I think they said last night that the Cowboys will not face a top QB until like week 11 or something like that.
gigem1223
They won't face a playoff team from last year till week 11
Macarthur
gigem1223 said:

They won't face a playoff team from last year till week 11
Correct.

And here's their next several QBs

Herbert - very promising but young.
Hurts - Has to be a W
Darnold - Has to be a W
Jones (NY) - Has to be a W
Jones (NE) - Promising rookie will be tough to beat Belicheck but need be a W
Cousins - hot and cold. Cowboys should be the better team - W
BRidgewater - should be a W as it's at home. Gotta win that one
Ryan - Home game should be a W

That's everything up to the game with Mahomes and the Chiefs.

I think you have to look at that and say they really should be 6-3 minimum, right?

7-2 would be great.
Macarthur
Here's some other positives.

I have to think they will start working some of the Rookie CBs in...Wright can't be worse than Brown, can he?

Also, Malik Hooker should start to get worked into the mix...that will really help on the back end. I think if they can just find a 'reasonable' answer at CB2, this defense can make some strides.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Here's some other positives.

I have to think they will start working some of the Rookie CBs in...Wright can't be worse than Brown, can he?

Also, Malik Hooker should start to get worked into the mix...that will really help on the back end. I think if they can just find a 'reasonable' answer at CB2, this defense can make some strides.

Wright can't play man/man so I hear. Too tall and can't change direction. Bossman needs to get healthy and start learning ASAP. Will need him and Diggs to be players come playoff time. Not sure why Canady isn't getting a look... guy had a great camp.

Dalton Shultz has really turned into a solid TE. That terrible block (costing us a TD) by Jarwin was no bueno. I love that Jarwin can threaten a defense, but with our WRs we really need the reliable guy and right now that's Dalton.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.