NFL officially approves 17-game schedule for 2021 season

2,415 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IceAg08
Gladiator 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per ESPN

Preseason only 3 games
Burrus86
AG
One more game for both the Cowboys and Texans to suck next year!
BQ_90
AG
wrong board
gigemJTH12
AG
BQ_90 said:

wrong board
yeah its not like our boys are in the NFL. come on. quit inventing things to whine about.
BrokeAssAggie
BQ_90 said:

wrong board
BQ gonna BQ
cityagboy
AG
Not sure about the extra game but cutting preseason to 3 was the right move. There is no need for more.

Game 1- warm up
Game 2 - game plan close to real game
Game 3 - players fight for the last few active roster spots
Frisco86
AG
17 games is a lot. I remember when it was 14 game season.

Do the players feel this is a pay cut, or does the extra game allow for additional revenue and thus wages can keep going higher. Does average length in NFL change over time? Do players thus want more guaranteed money? After all, it is all about money.
HunterAggie
Frisco86 said:

Do the players feel this is a pay cut, or does the extra game allow for additional revenue and thus wages can keep going higher. Does average length in NFL change over time? Do players thus want more guaranteed money? After all, it is all about money.
Now that's a memory - the NFL extended to 16 game regular seasons in 1978.
HunterAggie
Frisco86 said:

According to the article, the players will now get 48.5% of all shareable revenues.

The new broadcast / streaming contracts alone will contribute $156.25m each year to the salary cap for each team (assuming it stays @ 32 teams) starting in 2023.
Hittag1492
AG
Frisco86 said:

I am sure they will feel they should be paid more, although it likely will help do just that going forward-or at least keep things static if viewership/attendance drops.

I do know the players (veterans) despised the pre-season games so dropping a few for 1 real game may seem like a good trade off for many.
skelly02
AG
They need to now make the super bowl the Day before MLK day
Frisco86
AG
HunterAggie said:

Frisco86 said:

well I am 57
HunterAggie
Frisco86 said:

HunterAggie said:

Frisco86 said:

well I am 57
I am slightly older. I couldn't believe when I read that it had been that long.
No Longer Subsribed
AG
Marketing 101 - if your can't maintain your margins (viewers), you might try increasing your volume (opportunity to view). To me it's just one more game I won't watch.
Trucker 96
One less ridiculous season ticketholder shakedown game. One more real one. I like it
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Congrats on the new asterisks for every record that will be broken.

If they can extend it to 24 games, the Texans might have a chance to win 10 games in a season again before 2030.
birdman
How many bye weeks does each team have with 17 game schedule?
safety guy
AG
skelly02 said:

They need to now make the super bowl the Day before MLK day

Too early. Needs to be the day after Presidents' Day.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Shagga said:

Marketing 101 - if your can't maintain your margins (viewers), you might try increasing your volume (opportunity to view). To me it's just one more game I won't watch.

he said on the nfl thread on the nfl board.
BMX Bandit
Shagga said:

you should explain marketing to the league that just got an 80% increase in its TV money.
Southlake
And the Cowboys get the Patriots away in winter...
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I liked the 16-game format: 6 division games, 4 intra-conference games (ie NFC West vs NFC East), 4 inter-conference games (NFC West vs AFC East), and 2 remaining intra-conference games based on finish. I also liked the NFL playoff format of 6 teams per conference with 2 first round byes. In the first year of expanded playoffs, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers managed to win 3 straight road playoff games to become the first NFL team to play a Super Bowl on its home field and then won it all.

Commissioner Roger Goodell tried to make his case for an 18-and-two structure indirectly, by repeatedly questioning the quality of preseason games. That never really gained any footing. Then came the 2020 labor deal. As talks commenced, the league made it clear to the NFL Players Association that the next Collective Bargaining Agreement would be based on a 17-game regular season. Sensing the league's resolve, the union opted to negotiate the deal on that basis. Otherwise, 2021 would have featured another offseason lockout and another deadline-driven early-August deal in which the players, unwilling to miss games and forego game checks, would have given the owners what they wanted all along, an extra game. Actually, the players should regard their longstanding resistance to expansion of the season as a partial, albeit temporary, success. The league didn't want 17 games; it wanted 18. And it still does.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/31/nfl-finally-gets-17-games-when-will-the-league-get-18/
birdman
If every team played the extra game at neutral site, that might be pretty cool. As is, you might be competing with division foe that has more home games than you.

And the NFL can never say with a staright face they are concerned with player safety.
Stickynick
I'm happy with this, but we'll have to see if injuries become more of a problem. At the very least we get to rid ourselves of that completely worthless fourth preseason game. I wonder if this means starters go for a half in the second game and then sit the third.
IceAg08
AG
What does this mean for fantasy playoffs? Do we make the championship game week 17 now?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.