2021 NFL Draft Thread

23,683 Views | 349 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ApachePilot
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31141794/san-francisco-49ers-move-nfl-draft-acquire-no-3-pick-miami-dolphins-sources-say

Dolphins make the first big moves.
chris1515
AG
I'm interested to see if they use all those picks, or package them to trade for a veteran QB.
PooDoo
AG

MookieBlaylock
AG
Wonder if Siks got inside info from his tat boyfriend
04.arch.ag
AG
Except Mac Jones could easily be had at 6 and just trade with the eagles and save the extra picks they gave to Miami.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Trey Lance is my thought
Fields is meh
And you right on Mac Jones they could have just traded with Philly for the 6th

Ranger222
AG
Listened to The Athletics podcast this morning with Daniel Jeremiah...he also thinks it'll be Mac Jones at #3 based on everything he has heard which is wild.

Crazy how this draft is all offense....more than any that I remember. Hardly any defensive players will be picked in the 1st half of the first round. This draft is weak on the defensive front (interior linemen and pass rushers). Going to be really interesting to see how this draft turned out in 5+ years....
BMX Bandit
Trey Lance is my prediction at 3.
rbcs_2
AG
I have to think there is a lot more to the situation than simply SF wanting Mac Jones. Kind of a weird idea to think SF would trade up to #3 to draft a specific player with over a month to go. At least in my mind. Those deals usually happen on draft day. Of course, Simms could just be cranking up the rumor mill up for his BFF Shanahan.
Danny Phantom
SF, to me, is clearly throwing smoke screens so that nobody offers the house to jump them at #2 and take their guy. You don't trade 3 first rounders unless you are in love with a prospect and are willing to risk your whole reputation on him. I doubt that guy is Mac Jones. Some might say that if they get jumped then they get the "better" guy in Zach Wilson but they probably have the guy they traded up to take at 3 rated higher than Wilson. My guess is that it's Trey Lance and Kyle Shanahan will do wonders with a physical, mobile and smart QB like him. That offense will be unstoppable with that zone running scheme paired with offensive weapons Kittle, Deebo, Ayuik, Juszczyk & jordan reed.
BMX Bandit
Would only add to that they may have Lance or Jones & Wilson close to even, so happy with any of who they deem top 2 after Lawrence
Ranger222
AG
Still think its odd how Justin Fields has just disappeared and 'dropped' down the rankings if that is what you believe from reading everything the last few weeks. I think my top QBs would be Lawerence, Fields, Lance and Wilson in that order. Maybe it is SF that is trying to 'hide' Fields/Lance and throw people off, but if Fields does slide someone is going to get a hell of a QB.
Bunk Moreland
I have Lawrence and Wilson well above Fields. Haven't seen enough of Lance. I would take fields back half of 1st round.

My opinion is worth nothing, but I have felt that way watching him during his college career. Never saw a top 3 pick. Super talented in a lot of ways though.
Danny Phantom
I wouldn't be surprised if fields is the guy at 3 for SF. I know nfl scouts have had their eyes on him & lawerence since high school. They've been side by side their whole careers & this past season Fields outplayed him in the playoffs going 22/28 385, 6TDs & 1 INT to go with 42 rushing yards. Damn impressive and better than any game Zach Wilson & Trey Lance have ever had against inferior competition.
W
AG
is Dwayne Haskins hurting Fields' stock at all?

just 2 years ago, Haskins tore it up at Ohio State, carved up the Big Ten every week, super-awesome, huge numbers, etc..,

and then of course busted in 2 years
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Haskins only started one year at Ohio State, right? At least Fields had two (including the shortened COVID season). Haskins was in a pretty week QB draft too.
Ranger222
AG
The thing I'm not trying to lose sight of with Fields is that he has been a top player his whole life....one of the top QB prospects in high school and led a major program to a national title game....sometimes we try too hard to find problems and lose sight of that Fields was highly regarded out of high school, and backed it up in college. Sometimes we try to make an easy answer difficult.

The thing with Wilson that concerns me....and I've heard several people talk about this on various podcasts...is going to be his ability to deal with pressure at the NFL level. Didn't have much pressure in his face at BYU and played behind almost clean pockets. That allowed him to show off his arm and sling it all over the field. Will he be able to do the same with a defender in his face? Also talk of his smaller frame and being able to withstand hits. He's got the arm no doubt but can he still ball out with defenders running him down which is something he didn't have to do a lot at BYU? That's why I'd rank Fields over Wilson...we all saw him take hits in the national semifinal and still put up a hell of game. That data is still out on Wilson.
BBQ4Me
AG
I would focus more on what a QB did in college than tracing their profile back to HS. Look at the top QBs - most were not top QB recruits:
Mahomes
Watson - well regarded
Brady
Matt Ryan
Josh Allen
Russell Wilson
Stafford - well regarded
Herbert
Brees
Dak
itsyourboypookie
BBQ4Me said:

I would focus more on what a QB did in college than tracing their profile back to HS. Look at the top QBs - most were not top QB recruits:
Mahomes
Watson - well regarded
Brady
Matt Ryan
Josh Allen
Russell Wilson
Stafford - well regarded
Herbert
Brees
Dak

Why is Matt Ryan on this list? Matty ice never lived up to the hype
MookieBlaylock
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

BBQ4Me said:

Mahomes
Watson - well regarded
Brady
Matt Ryan
Josh Allen
Russell Wilson
Stafford - well regarded
Herbert
Brees
Dak

Why is Matt Ryan on this list? Matty ice never lived up to the hype

His career is far superior to Watsons
Stickynick
PooDoo said:

Jones would be a laughable pick at #3 overall and I can't imagine they'd really do that. The consensus seems to be that he's the 5th best QB in the draft and he's not exactly in the mold of the mobile QB which seems to be getting more important each year.
W
AG
you know that the NFL is hoping the Chauvin jury takes its time with its verdict.

but it's going to be very close
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Stickynick said:

PooDoo said:

Jones would be a laughable pick at #3 overall and I can't imagine they'd really do that. The consensus seems to be that he's the 5th best QB in the draft and he's not exactly in the mold of the mobile QB which seems to be getting more important each year.

Listened to him on the ringer NFL show defend this and he makes a good case. Basically said his accuracy and ability to manipulate the pocket is up there with the best he's seen (Brady name drop). Yeah he doesn't have the elite arm talent of some of these guys but said his decision making is the best in the draft. That he's more akin to Burrow type prospect

Also of note, he's got Mond as his #4 QB ahead of both fields and Lance (he's got Wilson 1 just ahead of Lawrence)
BMX Bandit
W said:

you know that the NFL is hoping the Chauvin jury takes its time with its verdict.

but it's going to be very close

Weird
Iowaggie
AG
W said:

is Dwayne Haskins hurting Fields' stock at all?

just 2 years ago, Haskins tore it up at Ohio State, carved up the Big Ten every week, super-awesome, huge numbers, etc..,

and then of course busted in 2 years

Does North Dakota State have a better run lately of NFL QBs than Ohio State and Alabama?*

Or they all disappointing?

*This isn't too be taken too seriously.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Fields is dropping bc he is epileptic and the Ohio state offense is terrible at developing qbs

Fields should have stayed at Georgia
TheCougarHunter
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Fields is dropping bc he is epileptic and the Ohio state offense is terrible at developing qbs

Fields should have stayed at Georgia

Watched some of his pro day, he looked awful. Dude was missing throws big time in shorts and a t-shirt to WRs running pre-scripted routes against no defense. He is going to bust big time.
PooDoo
AG
Fields? This pro day. The dude is a faster Dak Prescott.
CFTXAG10
AG
The trade of Bridgewater to Denver is interesting. Now they have Lock and Teddy. They wouldn't add another rookie QB right?
misterguinness
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

The trade of Bridgewater to Denver is interesting. Now they have Lock and Teddy. They wouldn't add another rookie QB right?
No, one rumor is trading Lock to Detroit in a move up if Fields is available at #7. Supposedly, Detroit was highly interested in Lock when he was floated as a piece for Stafford but Rams offered more compensation. The Lions would then have Goff, Lock, the #9 pick and more compensation. Could just be crap thrown against the wall.
2+2=5
Saint Pablo
DRAFT DAY
Bunk Moreland
Lawrence
Wilson
Jones
Pitts
Sewell

Does it finally get interesting at #6? Does a team move up once SF drafts Jones to take the 4th spot from Cincy?
Saint Pablo
Bunk Moreland said:

Lawrence
Wilson
Jones
Pitts
Sewell

Does it finally get interesting at #6? Does a team move up once SF drafts Jones to take the 4th spot from Cincy?
I don't think Jones at 3 is a certainty, but that order definitely seems pretty likely.
Danny Phantom
I'm sticking with my post trade prediction & saying that Trey Lance will be the pick at 3.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see where the top 5 QBs get picked
Saint Pablo
Interesting to me the way media continues to act like Justin Fields is falling because he is black, but just ignores the fact that Trey Lance has shot up draft boards and could be the third pick in the draft despite playing just one game last year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.