Drew Brees retires

2,348 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Absolute favorite guy to watch, great player and even better person
FtBendTxAg
AG
Had a helluva run. Don't see how any one can dislike the guy. Fun career to follow.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Still a classic....
W
AG
it's remarkable what he did for New Orleans.

the Saints franchise (other than a few years in the early 90's) was the joke of the NFL for decades and decades.

the Saints had 25 losing seasons from 1967 to before Brees arrived...and he led them to 9 seasons of 10+ wins
94chem
Prolly shoulda offered.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Drew Brees had an outstanding career and will be a first-ballot to the Hall of Fame in 5 years. He led the New Orleans Saints to their first and only Super Bowl win and 2 additional NFC Championship game appearances in 2006 and 2019. Brees has furthered his legend as an overachiever by showing an ability to adapt in his later years when his arm strength started to diminish. From 2008-16, Brees threw for at least 5,000 yards five different times. No other quarterback has done it more than once. Then from 2017-19, at the ages of 38-40, Brees posted the three highest single-season completion percentages in NFL history.

Brees' accuracy and ability to see the field were rivaled only by his work ethic and competitiveness. He didn't miss a game after suffering the 360-degree labrum tear and rotator-cuff damage at the end of the 2005 season -- which renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews called the most remarkable recovery of any athlete he has ever treated. This season, Brees came back after missing four games with a punctured lung and 11 broken ribs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30676062/what-legacy-new-orleans-saints-drew-brees-take-your-pick
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Low character woke guy.

MookieBlaylock
AG
What a pathetic endung to a great career

Giid riddance
azul_rain
You drunk
MookieBlaylock
AG
And I can throw a football fartther than that pill head sellout

Whats your point
azul_rain
Lol okay
ApachePilot
AG
hedge said:

I had an opportunity a few years back to meet and chat with him for about 30 minutes at the Texas Hall of Fame. Everyone had left and it was just us and we started talking football. Just a nice guy. I never knew how badly he wanted to be an Aggie until that moment. I said our '98 team with you would have been epic. He said he called RC and RC put him on hold and never picked back up. Guess Drew didn't fit our offense scheme
Kellso
ApachePilot said:

hedge said:

I had an opportunity a few years back to meet and chat with him for about 30 minutes at the Texas Hall of Fame. Everyone had left and it was just us and we started talking football. Just a nice guy. I never knew how badly he wanted to be an Aggie until that moment. I said our '98 team with you would have been epic. He said he called RC and RC put him on hold and never picked back up. Guess Drew didn't fit our offense scheme
I never understood the idea that someone couldn't be a great quarterback unless they were taller than 6'3.

That old school football thinking has gone away over the past 20 years.
W
AG
also need to mention...Brees won a lot of fantasy championships for people over the years.

he was great at filling up the stat sheet...especially with those bad Saints defenses
agdaddy04
AG
Weren't the Saints contemplating leaving NOLA before he stepped in and did what he did?
CajunAg97
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Weren't the Saints contemplating leaving NOLA before he stepped in and did what he did?
Yes, to freaking San Antonio
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
coldmoose
hedge said:

Thankful for what he was able to do for the Saints.

Congratulations to Drew Brees on a remarkable career.
TyHolden
AG
Kellso said:

ApachePilot said:

hedge said:

I never understood the idea that someone couldn't be a great quarterback unless they were taller than 6'3.

because more points bring the average fan to the tv. They didn't protect the qb 20 years ago like they do today. Not to mention fantasy football. Brees was great for the Saints but was average for his first 4 years at San Diego. So average, they traded him to New Orleans and drafted Phillip Rivers. Don't be surprised to see Hill light it up at New Orleans. Sean Peyton is one hell of a coach. Jerrah should have snagged him years ago.
Kellso
MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

ApachePilot said:

hedge said:

because more points bring the average fan to the tv. They didn't protect the qb 20 years ago like they do today. Not to mention fantasy football. Brees was great for the Saints but was average for his first 4 years at San Diego. So average, they traded him to New Orleans and drafted Phillip Rivers. Don't be surprised to see Hill light it up at New Orleans. Sean Peyton is one hell of a coach. Jerrah should have snagged him years ago.
What does that have to do with being taller than 6'3?

If Aaron Rodgers was taller than 6'4 he would have been the #1 pick in the draft. Since he was "only" 6"2 he fell all the way to the bottom of the 1st round.

Drew Brees and Rodgers were fantastic college players at a below average height for a quarterback. I never understood how their passing skills, and arm strength would not translate to the NFL.
TyHolden
AG
Kellso said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Kellso said:

ApachePilot said:

hedge said:

What does that have to do with being taller than 6'3?

If Aaron Rodgers was taller than 6'4 he would have been the #1 pick in the draft. Since he was "only" 6"2 he fell all the way to the bottom of the 1st round.

Drew Brees and Rodgers were fantastic college players at a below average height for a quarterback. I never understood how their passing skills, and arm strength would not translate to the NFL.
3 of the first 5 picks when rodgers came out were running backs. when do think the first running back will get chosen in this year's draft? kyler murray is 5'10 with 2-inch heels on. baker is barely 6 foot. i've stood next to him many times.
aaron rodgers fell in the draft because alex smith had an incredible year (should have won the heisman) and blew him away working out before the draft. everybody knew alex smith was going #1 that year. saban was picking #2 for the dolphins and needed a qb and passed (not sure it was his decision). so did chucky at #5. i don't know why rodgers fell so far in the draft but i do know it was certainly a different game 15-20 years ago. QBs are valued differently now because the game has changed. You want a data point. Look at salaries. Top 20 highest paid players are QBs.
Rodgers would go top 10 easily this year. everybody questioned brees arm strength coming out but he'd probably go first round as well today because everybody runs the same offense. hell, we're gonna have another qb from NDSU go top 10 this year. nobody knew who NDSU was in 2000. we had maybe 5-10 games televised a day in 2000 (not 50-100).
MookieBlaylock
AG
Rogers dropped b/c of his personality which is still an issue- but remember back then top picks got huge contracts - now you can take gambles on attitude and midgets and it won't destroy your team if they fail

you can thank Jamarcus Russel for the change
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.