Stafford for Goff and 2 first rd and one 3rd rdpick

2,876 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by redline248
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whoa!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Maybe dan Campbell does know what he is doing

That is a steal
Ervin Burrell
AG
Rams got fleeced, no pun intended.
CrottyKid
AG
I tend to agree. Goff is younger Stafford, and they got a ton of picks.
ORAggieFan
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
If that's what the price is for Stafford, I can't imagine what the price will be for Deshaun Watson. Knowing the Texans, they'll probably get fleeced even with the Lions market-setting for them.
W
AG
the Lions won this trade because they got 2 first round picks from the Rams.

but Goff is not good. He might not be starting by midseason
redline248
AG
Is Stafford really worth Goff and two #1s? That seems crazy
ATM9000
AG
Salary swaps are happening with these players a hell of a lot more than people give credit for in the NFL these days when it comes to perceived value. This is a great example of it. What LA really paid for is a free out on an expensive contract this year if they want it vs. 2023 if they kept Goff as well as a significantly better QB.
bigjag19
AG
Or did the Lions just set up a very nice trade offer for a top QB...
CrottyKid
AG
If Houston takes the exact same deal, they are idiots.
ApachePilot
AG
This makes the Rams better next season, but stafford isn't in his prime. I can't imagine they have many years left. That Goff draft and contract will haunt them.
bigjag19
AG
CrottyKid said:

If Houston takes the exact same deal, they are idiots.

The implication is they can trade those pics, Goff, and 2 of their own.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Rams should be great with Stafford and now they are clear of the Goff albatross deal. And if they are indeed great, those picks end up at the bottom of the round which isn't nearly as attractive when you first consider "two 1st round draft picks" in general. Overall, seems like a good deal for both sides
TheCougarHunter
AG
Lol @ rams.

2 first round picks? Plus a third?

This is Texans level bad.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Look at the NFC overall. Brady has 1-2 years left. The Saints and Brees are done. The Packers can't finish. The entire NFC East is a joke. The 49ers are a shambles of the team that was in the super bowl last year. Seattle fizzled.There is about to be a huge power void at the top. The rams have a championship defense. With a really good qb they are a super bowl contender for the next 3 years. You have to take that shot.
ATM9000
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Lol @ rams.

2 first round picks? Plus a third?

This is Texans level bad.

When you ask the other team to have them take your bad QB on their cap a seventh of the number for 2 more seasons, you are gonna pay for that somehow.

This was a sneaky good deal by the Rams. Signing Goff initially was the mistake... not this trade.
PooDoo
AG
I briefly heard on the radio something about the Rams being able to move Goff's guaranteed money to the Lions.

Was that because of the difference between guaranteed money versus a signing bonus?
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's all about who cut the check. The Rams eat all money that has already been paid (regardless of type of bonus) while the Lions are on the hook for all future payments, some of which is guaranteed salary (2021) and some of which are future roster bonuses that are guaranteed ($17 mill). So since Det will pay those, their cap will take the hit for them
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
The Rams defense finished 1st in both total defense (281.9 yards allowed per game) and scoring defense (18.5 points per game allowed). With the trade of Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford, the Rams have an excellent chance to win the tough NFC West. As a die hard 49ers fan, I will be happy if the 49ers win 9 or 10 games to get the final playoff spot in the NFC.

Detroit Lions head coach Dan Campbell brought several assistants from the New Orleans Saints, but also hired two former NFL head coaches. He hired former Los Angeles Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn as his offensive coordinator and former Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers as a senior defensive assistant. I think Jared Goff would be a good fit for Anthony Lynn's offense which will likely be run-heavy.
ApachePilot
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Look at the NFC overall. Brady has 1-2 years left. The Saints and Brees are done. The Packers can't finish. The entire NFC East is a joke. The 49ers are a shambles of the team that was in the super bowl last year. Seattle fizzled.There is about to be a huge power void at the top. The rams have a championship defense. With a really good qb they are a super bowl contender for the next 3 years. You have to take that shot.

Seattle just won the NFC West. The new OC should be a huge help.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
ApachePilot said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Yes, the Seattle Seahawks finished 12-4 and won the NFC West, but the Los Angeles Rams stunned the Seahawks 30-20 on the road in the wildcard round. It will be a tough division in 2021, and I won't be surprised if all 4 teams finish 8-8 or better.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

ApachePilot said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Yes, the Seattle Seahawks finished 12-4 and won the NFC West, but the Los Angeles Rams stunned the Seahawks 30-20 on the road in the wildcard round. It will be a tough division in 2021, and I won't be surprised if all 4 teams finish 8-8 or better.
I'm pretty convinced this account is an AI copywriting program.
PooDoo
AG
Goff impressed me the way he played after thumb surgery.

Is he going to be the 1st QB starting in back to back seasons of Hard Knocks?

Cant wait to see more of MCDC!
ApachePilot
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

ApachePilot said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

No argument there. The Rams are built to beat the Hawks. If Stafford is the real deal in that offense my Hawks will be in trouble. I wish Seattle would focus on the o-line.
Bunk Moreland
Good trade for both situations. It's win now for LAR and Stafford is a major upgrade if he can stay healthy. Goff hesitates the moment an elite QB should make the tough throw. Stafford doesn't.
boy09
AG
CrottyKid said:

Goff is younger Stafford
Lol. No.
CrottyKid
AG
I respect your right to disagree.
My statement was not meant to say that Goff is good but that Stafford isn't great right now. Goff now is roughly equal to Stafford now, in my opinion.
redline248
AG
So, I'm looking at the draft order and I realized that in the trade, neither of the 1st round picks are for this year. Maybe everyone else already knew this... The Rams previously traded the '21 1st round pick to the Jaguars for Jalen Ramsey.

So it was actually the 1st rounders in '22/23, plus whatever year the 3rd round pick is (also not this year). Not to mention they unload Goff's contract.

Depending on their future records, might not end up being so bad for the Rams.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.