Miami Dolphins Win the AFC East

4,986 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by W
Maacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the Dolphins, especially with Tua, might actually win the AFC East. Look at their net points and prove me wrong. They appear to be quietly sneaking up on the competition, and the games they lost were only by a few points.

Yes, I'm a Dolphin fan..

And the Patriots were WRONG to get rid of Brady. A big mistake by Belichik.. And he doesn't make many.

Maacus
I sure hope that Tua stays injury-free. The potential with him at the helm is real.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You did the thing where you replied to yourself after you started the thread. Don't be that guy.

Tua has thrown 2 passes as a pro.

Fitzpatrick was lights out, 22-28 for 350 yards in 3 TDs as they ****-kicked the defending NFC champions.
Then he threw 3 more TDs in beating the Jets.

if I'm a player in that locker room and I heard Fitzpatrick just got shown the bench for a rookie, I'm asking WTF is this team's management thinking?

Then I see his first start is vs. the Rams, then the Cardinals, then the Chargers and I really don't understand what the management is thinking.

Tua better be Touchdown Jesus if you're going to screw with team chemistry like that.
Matsui
AG
I am kind of shocked they benched Fitz with the season he is having. Buffalo is the class of the division.
Saint Pablo
Matsui said:

I am kind of shocked they benched Fitz with the season he is having. Buffalo is the class of the division.
I honestly am not sure...Buffalo's defense is pretty bad and Josh Allen seems like he has come crashing back down to earth. It will be interesting to see how Tua ends up doing.
W
AG
Fitzpatrick was mysteriously/surprisingly benched, because the Dolphins started winning too many games.

and going 7-9 / 8-8 doesn't help the rebuild
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
If Ryan Fitzpatrick played reasonably well throughout the season, I expected him to start all 16 games and then help Tua Tagovailoa prepare for the starting job next season. In 2003, the Cincinnati Bengals drafted Carson Palmer as the No. 1 overall pick, but he did not take a single snap. Jon Kitna threw for 3,500 yards and 26 touchdowns and led the Bengals turnaround from 2-14 the previous season to 8-8. By 2004, Palmer was ready to take over the starting job. I had expected the Dolphins to take a similar path with Fitzpatrick and Tua.

I still think the Buffalo Bills will win the AFC East. Josh Allen is the best quarterback in that division by far. He has completed 67.6% of his passes for 2,018 yards and thrown 16 touchdown passes against 4 interceptions. The Patriots will finish with their first losing season since they went 5-11 in Bill Belichick's first season in 2000.
Maacus
Fitz was doing great, but he is Fitzmagic or Fitztragic at times. I think it is time to play Tua although I admit it is somewhat of a head-scratcher. I replied to my own thread, so I guess I am "that guy."

Time will tell if I am right or if I am wrong.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maacus said:

Time will tell if I am right or if I am wrong.
That's true for everything ever.
ac04
they are benching fitz because his contract contains a ton of performance incentives. dolphins will save somewhere between $1MM-5MM by sitting him. this was the plan all along regardless of their record imo.
Maacus
ac04 said:

they are benching fitz because his contract contains a ton of performance incentives. dolphins will save somewhere between $1MM-5MM by sitting him. this was the plan all along regardless of their record imo.
Excellent post. I didn't know that.
W
AG
okay, step 1 complete.

next up the Cardinals
Tor3210
AG
W said:

okay, step 1 complete.

next up the Cardinals
Sure they won, but how did Tua (and their offense) actually play? Tua 12-22 for 93 yards 1 td and a lost fumble. Total offense had 145 yds. If they do anything it's not going to be because of Tua, it will because of their ENTIRE team, like their W Sunday was. Bills offense still way better than the Dolphins offense
redag06
Bills are 4-0 in the AFC east, dolphins are 1-2. If they wanted to win the division they should have kept Fitzy at QB.

You aren't winning many games with 145 yards of offense.
Saint Pablo
redag06 said:

Bills are 4-0 in the AFC east, dolphins are 1-2. If they wanted to win the division they should have kept Fitzy at QB.

You don't need a ton of offense when your special teams and defense are responsible for forcing four turnovers, two of which were returned for touchdowns, one of which set up a touchdown on the ensuing possession giving them a 28-7 lead in the second quarter.
Maacus
Saint Pablo said:

redag06 said:

You don't need a ton of offense when your special teams and defense are responsible for forcing four turnovers, two of which were returned for touchdowns, one of which set up a touchdown on the ensuing possession giving them a 28-7 lead in the second quarter.
Yep. They absolutely swarmed the Rams on defense, at least when it really mattered, as well as on special teams. Tua wasn't asked to do much, and the whole team stepped up. I still think they have a legit shot to win the division. The bottom line is they have been bottom feeders for so long and they appear to be taking steps in the right direction for the first time in about 20 years. Tua will come along fine, he just needs to get his feet wet.
W
AG
step 2 complete.

next up: the Chargers
MookieBlaylock
AG
Tua looked good

Herbert looks better

redag06
Bills just handily beat a legit contender in the seahawks.

Don't see the east going to the Dolphins this year.
Saint Pablo
redag06 said:

They've also beat the Jets by one score, Pats by one score, and got their asses beat by the Titans. Even more notable, they only beat the Phins by 3 last time they matched up. Miami absolutely has a chance at that division.
Maacus
Saint Pablo said:

redag06 said:

They've also beat the Jets by one score, Pats by one score, and got their asses beat by the Titans. Even more notable, they only beat the Phins by 3 last time they matched up. Miami absolutely has a chance at that division.
Yes indeed. It's good to see it competitive again between someone else besides the Patriots. I think Tua gets better game by game and the Dolphins have a great shot at the playoffs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Saint Pablo said:

redag06 said:

Didnt realize margin of victory mattered
Saint Pablo
MuckRaker96 said:

Saint Pablo said:

redag06 said:

Didnt realize margin of victory mattered
I think that demonstrates that the Bills aren't that great, wise guy.
redag06
Yea, what matters is the Bills are 4-0 in the division already, and 5-2 in conference. Whereas the Dolphins are 1-2 in the division and 2-2 in conference.

Maybe the last game of the season where these two play will be a meaningful game, we shall see.
Iowaggie
AG
Curious when the last time there was a conversation about who will win the AFC East and the conversation was only between the Dolphins and Bills.
redag06
The Dolphins won 2008 11-5 season, the year Brady blew out his knee in week 1. The Patriots still went 11-5 though but missed the playoffs
Maacus
Iowaggie said:

Curious when the last time there was a conversation about who will win the AFC East and the conversation was only between the Dolphins and Bills.
This takes me back to the 90s when the Bills and the Dolphins were always vying for the East title. I'm just glad to see the Dolphins competitive again, it's been so long. Plus, it looks like Tua may be the future for them. I sure hope so, he's exciting to watch.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The last time Buffalo and Miami finished 1-2 in the AFC East was 1993, so long ago that the Colts were still in the East.

Bills went 12-4 and lost their fourth straight Super Bowl. It was the one they were actually competitive in for a half, losing to the Cowboys 30-13. If you play PPR FFL you will salivate over Thurman Thomas having 1,315 yards rushing, 6 rushing TDS, 48 catches for 387 yards and 3 receiving TDS.

Very interesting for the Fish. They started 9-2 despite Marino rupturing his Achilles and only playing the first 5 games. Scott Mitchell went 3-4 but was player of the month in the AFC for October, then he got hurt and they had to use the 1-2 dream team of Doug Pederson and Steve DeBerg (Professor Von FumblesAlot) to end the season. They lost their last 5 games and missed the playoffs.

That was the year of the Leon Lett touching the blocked field goal at like the 2 yard line on Thanksgiving Day in the snow that gave the Dolphins a second chance and they beat Dallas 16-14.

Maacus
MuckRaker96 said:

The last time Buffalo and Miami finished 1-2 in the AFC East was 1993, so long ago that the Colts were still in the East.

Bills went 12-4 and lost their fourth straight Super Bowl. It was the one they were actually competitive in for a half, losing to the Cowboys 30-13. If you play PPR FFL you will salivate over Thurman Thomas having 1,315 yards rushing, 6 rushing TDS, 48 catches for 387 yards and 3 receiving TDS.

Very interesting for the Fish. They started 9-2 despite Marino rupturing his Achilles and only playing the first 5 games. Scott Mitchell went 3-4 but was player of the month in the AFC for October, then he got hurt and they had to use the 1-2 dream team of Doug Pederson and Steve DeBerg (Professor Von FumblesAlot) to end the season. They lost their last 5 games and missed the playoffs.

That was the year of the Leon Lett touching the blocked field goal at like the 2 yard line on Thanksgiving Day in the snow that gave the Dolphins a second chance and they beat Dallas 16-14.

Ah yes, I remember well. I was at that Thanksgiving Day game in the sleet/ice/snow. Leon Lett sure messed it up big time when he tried to pick up that blocked kick. Jimmy Johnson was FURIOUS at him over that. I had the program for that game up until I lost it in a move a few years ago. Good times.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I covered my first A&M game for the Batt that night - A&M 18, sips 9. Sat in the press box in the frigid conditions, went down on the field for the last 5 minutes to get into the locker room after the game.

First time I'd ever been on the sideline of a college football game. First play I saw was Shea Morenz running for his life and trying to duck out of bounds but not quite getting there in time and Sam Adams lighting him up. I can still hear that POP in my head 27 years later.
W
AG
step 3 complete.

next up: the Broncos
W
AG
the stars may be aligning for the 'fins --- stunning defeat for the Bills
Maacus
W said:

the stars may be aligning for the 'fins --- stunning defeat for the Bills
I'm liking this team's fight more and more each week. The Miami Dolphins that is...
W
AG
the Dolphins are impacting the AFC wildcard chase too.

it was pretty much assumed that the Ravens and Titans would make the playoffs again, but it's dogfight now among 5 teams for the 3 wildcard spots
redag06
Even with the Bills having a bye this week the bills will still lead the division going in to week 11.

Dolphins defense is the real winner here, tua is doing his job of not turning the ball over.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.