*** Cowboys - Rams ***

19,614 Views | 572 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Macarthur
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
exitone said:

C@LAg said:

I noticed the hand last night. I'm wondering if he had a stroke in the off season, and this is why we didn't see him.
I'd guess it was more likely we didn't see him this past offseason because we didn't see most people due to Covid.

I'd be shocked if Jerry could get in and out of a Dallas hospital with a stroke and it not be reported somewhere.

As for the team, its only one game but that OL definitely needs to gel better to have a real chance this year.
Ryan34
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Will say it again. In the 4th quarter of a game, if you have a chance to tie, take a lead, or turn a 1 score game into 2 scores, you kick. Love being aggressive earlier in games. Love being aggressive late in certain score situations. That wasn't the time

In that situation, I agree. But if it was say 4th and 1 or 4th and inches, I'd say go for it.
Old Tom Morris
That's fair. Anything where a sneak has a very high probability if success is different. But 3 yards in a compressed field redzone is a chunk to gain.
LB12Diamond
AG
The problem with the 4th down play were the receivers not going two yards further that lamb ran behind. His drag route was short bc he had to to run behind them. The play works if they go further. Did they miss execute or was it a bad play design from the start thinking lamb would outrun the defender?
Macarthur
Jebber said:

The problem with the 4th down play were the receivers not going two yards further that lamb ran behind. His drag route was short bc he had to to run behind them. The play works if they go further. Did they miss execute or was it a bad play design from the start thinking lamb would outrun the defender?
I think the issue there was Lamb had to cut in front of the TE. Not sure if that's an error on the TE, but I think this is more of a great play by the defender. That was a fantastic defensive play.
Macarthur
And I am on the side of kicking there. I think you tie the game.

I am very skeptical of McCarthy using the analytics excuse because there were many other areas of the game that say they were not using analytics. Analytics isn't something you can just pick and choose when you want to use or ignore.
LB12Diamond
AG
I agree, kick the field goal since it ties the game.

I'm just curious if the TE did what he was supposed to on that play?
birdman
You have to tie the game when you have a chance late. This wasn't a 42-38 game where the offenses where unstoppable. To me that was 100% due to first game posturing. McCarthy is going to show everybody that he's going to be aggressive and he's playing to win. It was dumb.

Everybody on Texags keeps complaining about first down runs. The same stats show an average play of five yards. 2nd and 5 is good place to be. First down runs weren't the problem at all.

The play calling was just herky-jerky all night. Never got into a rhythm. Never ran Plays A and B which are done to set up Play C. Just seemed to be a grab bag of random selections.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Jebber said:

I agree, kick the field goal since it ties the game.

I'm just curious if the TE did what he was supposed to on that play?
he did not. Broaddus said he ran his depth all wrong and caused Lamb to have to go more shallow.
Macarthur
birdman said:

You have to tie the game when you have a chance late. This wasn't a 42-38 game where the offenses where unstoppable. To me that was 100% due to first game posturing. McCarthy is going to show everybody that he's going to be aggressive and he's playing to win. It was dumb.

Everybody on Texags keeps complaining about first down runs. The same stats show an average play of five yards. 2nd and 5 is good place to be. First down runs weren't the problem at all.

The play calling was just herky-jerky all night. Never got into a rhythm. Never ran Plays A and B which are done to set up Play C. Just seemed to be a grab bag of random selections.

Disagree. Yes, 4+ YPC is good on any down, but you're not taking into account the runs that were below 4 and factoring in Dak at 11+ YPC on first down.

If you believe in analytics, you should run on first down around 25% of the time. That doesn't mean you don't run the ball....

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-called-a-run-on-first-down-youre-already-screwed/

https://sports.yahoo.com/pass-run-nfl-075407850.html

1st-and-10: Almost Always Pass

The average expected points added (EPA) on passing plays on 1st-and-10 was 0.13 last season. That's pretty damn good, especially in comparison to rushing plays (-0.05 EPA). In general, NFL teams should almost always pass on 1st-and-10. In my opinion, there's not a single team that's passing enough on 1st-and-10. This is the down and distance that teams are losing the most expected points over the course of a season by running.
JW
AG
With this set of wr, it should be a pass-pass-pass offense. Looked like JG was still the coach.
Macarthur
JW said:

With this set of wr, it should be a pass-pass-pass offense. Looked like JG was still the coach.

Yeah, I mean Zeke is a beast so you gotta use him, but back in the day, Aikman would throw to set up the run in the second half.

It's even more of a passing league than it was then...Zeke needs to be more of a 2nd half hammer.
Grapesoda2525
ChoppinDs40 said:

Too many holes in this team to start the game and especially after tonight.

UDFA starting at right tackle? Good luck with that. Also, Connor Williams SUCKS.

first string TE done for the year? Backup choked. Screwed up 4th down route leading to TOD. Dropped another two 3rd down conversions. He sucks. 3rd year draft pick.

Lose your first round draft pick from 2018 to ANOTHER neck injury? LVE just needs to retire. Sorry buddy - this was the reason so many teams took him off their board. Sean Lee - DNP as always. Joe Thomas is your starting MLB... oh, jaylon Smith sucks - bad contract there.

Other starting RT is probably done for the year. Your TRUE starting RT is on the IR.

Darian Thompson got trucked all night and the only DBs that can tackle are the rookie and X.

Your $75MM Defensive End didn't even show up on the stat sheet. The guy who's been out of football for 5 years was your best player on defense!!!!!!

All with a franchised QB that always takes bad sacks and averages about 10yards per completion?

Everyone needs to tamper their expectations. This team may win this god awful division but they are NOT good.
This post is pretty spot on.

I'm going to choose to be optimistic and say that we REALLY needed a training camp and some preseason games to wipe the Garrett stink off this team because the entire game last night felt like your typical Dallas Cowboys Jason Garrett failure experience.
Macarthur
ChoppinDs40 said:

Too many holes in this team to start the game and especially after tonight.

Every team has holes.

Quote:

UDFA starting at right tackle? Good luck with that. Also, Connor Williams SUCKS.

I'm not a huge C. Williams fan, but it may not be completely fair to judge him this year on his day with Donald. Donald actually made Martin look bad, at times. By all accounts, he has added bulk. I posted on another thread that I think we ought to kick Williams out to RT and bring McGovern in to G.

Quote:

first string TE done for the year? Backup choked. Screwed up 4th down route leading to TOD. Dropped another two 3rd down conversions. He sucks. 3rd year draft pick.

TE is def a mess right now.

Quote:

Lose your first round draft pick from 2018 to ANOTHER neck injury? LVE just needs to retire. Sorry buddy - this was the reason so many teams took him off their board. Sean Lee - DNP as always. Joe Thomas is your starting MLB... oh, jaylon Smith sucks - bad contract there.

LBer is a mess too.

Quote:

Other starting RT is probably done for the year. Your TRUE starting RT is on the IR.

Again, I think Williams to RT and McGovern to LG makes the line much better.

Quote:

Darian Thompson got trucked all night and the only DBs that can tackle are the rookie and X.

S is not as bad a mess as TE and LBer, but I do think a call to Earl to see if you can get him for a reasonable price is a good idea.

Quote:

Your $75MM Defensive End didn't even show up on the stat sheet. The guy who's been out of football for 5 years was your best player on defense!!!!!!

Tank will be okay. Let's keep in mind, the D made some good adjustments and holding that offense to 20 points should be a win.

Quote:

All with a franchised QB that always takes bad sacks and averages about 10yards per completion?

Dak is way down the list of problems. Note his one deep ball was on the money. I think Kellen Moore had a poor night. Hopefully, the HC makes corrections there.

Quote:

Everyone needs to tamper their expectations. This team may win this god awful division but they are NOT good.

I disagree. By the same token, I think you are being a bit dramatic. This team isn't NO or KC or Balt, but I think they are in that next level that can make some noise if they get hot.

The season is very long with lots of ebs and flows.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.