The NFL Wants to Fight Racism. Where Does That Leave Washington's Football Team?

5,660 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Trucker 96
Iraq2xVeteran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
City officials want the league's social justice drive to take out the racial slur in the local team's name. "One wonders if Dan Snyder can hold out much longer, in the face of what looks as if it is a revolutionary change in what people will anymore tolerate," said Eleanor Holmes Norton, Washington, D.C.'s non-voting delegate in Congress. "I understand that the word 'Redskins' is not about an African-American, but it is equally racist and equally opposed by African-Americans."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/washington-redskins-nfl-racism-name-controversy-11592901654

I am die hard San Francisco 49ers fan, and I am on the fence on this issue.
Macarthur
It needs to be changed
03_Aggie
That's between Snyder, his pocket book and Indians.

But let's not stop there, go ahead and off the chiefs, cowboys and patriots for good measure.

Forgot about the Vikings.

Crap, raiders and bucs too. There are sooooo many.
TMACsDaMan
don't forget Browns
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Macarthur said:

It needs to be changed

He could just drop the skins and keep the red(s). That would be more appropriate for a team in today's DC anyway.
_lefraud_
AG
Dont forget the Bills, as Buffalo Bill killed lots of Native Americans.

The Saints oppress non-christians.

The Texans oppress non-Texans

The Giants oppress small people

The Steelers oppress clean energy

The Eagles, Ravens, Seahawks, Falcons, Cardinals oppress animals unable to fly
ORAggieFan
49ers owned slaves. Lightning bolts kill people.

Redskins is pretty bad but I worry where this will go. My college team is stopping our "Civil War" rivalry and I'm not happy.
Mr.Bond
AG
I love that Dan Snyder gave a big middle finger to everyone wanting it changed. You wanna change it.... Buy the ****ing team
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

toucan82
They're probably going to suck
ORAggieFan
Mr.Bond said:

I love that Dan Snyder gave a big middle finger to everyone wanting it changed. You wanna change it.... Buy the ****ing team

The other owners could likely force his hand. If I'm him I'm figuring out how to capitalize on a change. Announce it to happen after the season. Then rename to something that is half assed.
Mr.Bond
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Mr.Bond said:

The other owners could likely force his hand. If I'm him I'm figuring out how to capitalize on a change. Announce it to happen after the season. Then rename to something that is half assed.

Lawsuits out the ass would be coming.

There's days I really wish I was born in the 50s or 60s so the majority of my life wouldn't be filled with ****ing snowflakes
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AtlAg05
AG
They existed back then too, just didn't have a platform to spew it from to the world.
lunchbox
FedEx asked them today to change their name.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29401445/stadium-sponsor-fedex-asks-redskins-change-nickname

Also Nike has removed their nickname from their site...

Mr.Bond
AG
I expect nothing less from Nike....... The company who continues to promote their 500 dollar sneakers on the backs of child slave labor. Social justice my fat ass

Panama Red
AG

Prediction: name gone by 2021 & Snyder makes billions with new development at RFK
Macarthur
Mr.Bond said:

ORAggieFan said:

Mr.Bond said:

There's days I really wish I was born in the 50s or 60s so the majority of my life wouldn't be filled with ****ing snowflakes

Jesus...You know, back with women and POC knew their place.
Mr.Bond
AG
Macarthur said:

Mr.Bond said:

ORAggieFan said:

Mr.Bond said:

Oh **** off race baiter

Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I read another Wall Street Journal Article: Keepers vs. Changers: An Ohio Town Divided Over the Redskins Nickname

Twice this week, the Forest Hills school board in Ohio convened special meetings over the issue that has divided the community for decades: the racial slur that had withstood serial efforts to remove it as a local high school's nicknameuntil now.

Anderson High School, in a predominantly white Cincinnati suburb, has gone by the Redskins for more than 80 years. It's far from the NFL team in Washington that has been subject to national scrutiny over the same issue as FedEx Corp., the Washington Redskins' most prominent sponsor, called for the franchise to change its name.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/keepers-vs-changers-an-ohio-town-divided-over-the-redskins-nickname-11593691201

Mr.Bond
AG
RIP to one of the best logos in sports.

First Chief Wahoo now this

Iowaggie
AG
It's official.

PabloSerna
AG
We always called them the "Foreskins"

- HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!

mike_ags_fan12
The Washington Pigskins

Same syllables
Can still play of The Hogs
Macarthur
Mr.Bond said:

Macarthur said:

Mr.Bond said:

ORAggieFan said:

Mr.Bond said:

Oh **** off race baiter
Ok, Chief. What exactly did you mean by that comment in the context of talking about a team nickname that is based on a racial slur? What was great about the 50s & 60s. Serious question.
03_Aggie
Macarthur said:

Mr.Bond said:

Macarthur said:

Mr.Bond said:

ORAggieFan said:

Mr.Bond said:

Oh **** off race baiter
Ok, Chief. What exactly did you mean by that comment in the context of talking about a team nickname that is based on a racial slur? What was great about the 50s & 60s. Serious question.

Please do not use the term Chief. It is offensive in nature.

Thank you.
monarch
S
Redtails seems to be the new favorite among those that say it is the new favorite. If anybody knows who the Tuskegee Airmen were, that is the impetus.

Frankly, I have no issue with the Redskins at all, but Redtails would be cool.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
If they go with Redtails, the new uniforms should have a red patch over their butts.
Mr.Bond
AG
Washington Warriors. Keep Spear Helmet and colors. Snowflakes are happy and changes are minimal

EOT

Law Hall 69-72
AG
Washington Bullets. No one should have a problem with that name.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Washington honky killers, mascot is a redskin scalping the white man. Change the team fight song to Cherokee people by Paul revere and the raiders.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Change the Indians mascot to Apu from the Simpsons' "Homer at the Bat' episode, keep the same name.

lunchbox
Mr. White
Red Wolves has been one name gaining momentum
lunchbox
Regardless of the new name, there is no way they have time to design a logo and uniform in the next couple of months (if they play this season)...I really don't think they can only change the name under the front collar and the logo/name on the helmet. If they want a clean break, they may even have to make a color change (or keep burgundy and change the accent color).

I predict they play with generic burgundy uniforms this year with a plain "W" on the helmet.

They could actually even just call themselves "Team Washington" for the year while they get everything worked out.
lunchbox
Sounds like it will be announced tomorrow.
jr15aggie
AG
This will do nothing to appease the crazies... they will keep coming with more demands. I can't even guarantee that "Cowboys" won't eventually cause the snowflakes to lose their minds!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.