Kaepernick

8,328 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by stallion6
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This article confirms what many thought.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/30/former-nfl-executive-colin-kaepernick-protests-george-floyd

There's lots of angles on this but the question I would like to ask is if there is anyone on this board that has changed their mind on Kaepernick? And more specific to the point, I and many others, felt that his absence from the league had nothing to do with his ability and it was a business decision by the league.

I remember folks on here taking the position that is was 100% based on the fact that he sucked as a player. Is there anyone willing to admit they were wrong about that?
TexAgs1992
Macarthur said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/30/former-nfl-executive-colin-kaepernick-protests-george-floyd

There's lots of angles on this but the question I would like to ask is if there is anyone on this board that has changed their mind on Kaepernick? And more specific to the point, I and many others, felt that his absence from the league had nothing to do with his ability and it was a business decision by the league.

I remember folks on here taking the position that is was 100% based on the fact that he sucked as a player. Is there anyone willing to admit they were wrong about that?

That's one executive's opinion. I know for a fact from a friend of mine who works at ESPN on the NFL production team the bigger issue was teams considered signing him but his asking price was seven figures and no team was having it.

This idea he's "bad for business" is insane. I'm not a Kaepernick fan but hundreds of players have kneeled and hundreds of players have spoken out against police violence. The majority of which are still in the league. Kaepernick made it out that he was blackballed by the league, when he in fact blackballed himself.
03_Aggie
Quote:

Lockhart ended his column by calling for change and suggesting the Vikings, who are located in the center of the controversy in Minnesotaoffer Kaepernick a contract.

Lol. All you really need to know about how dumb the article is.
expresswrittenconsent
TexAgs1992 said:

Macarthur said:

That's one executive's opinion. I know for a fact from a friend of mine who works at ESPN on the NFL production team the bigger issue was teams considered signing him but his asking price was seven figures and no team was having it.

This idea he's "bad for business" is insane. I'm not a Kaepernick fan but hundreds of players have kneeled and hundreds of players have spoken out against police violence. The majority of which are still in the league. Kaepernick made it out that he was blackballed by the league, when he in fact blackballed himself.

Sure. Your secret insider friend at ESPN told you. That's also why the NFL settled the collusion suit.
Ag_07
AG
His absence from the league was his choice.

IIRC He turned down multiple offers and no showed to a work out.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

but his asking price was seven figures and no team was having it.

7 figures?? Wow.

(Broncos offed $7mm over 2 years. May want to get anywhere inside source)

Cost + ability + hassle factor is done for every player (and really every job). The combination didn't warrant anyone signing him
Macarthur
I'm not surprised. I guess I got my answer. Lol.

The old standard of the article is crap...well, that executive doesn't really know what he's talking about.

It is a fact that he was a better QB than many guys on rosters. I also will look for it but I think I read that the crap about him turning down offers has been debunked.

I didn't care for what he did, at the time, but he was right. His protest had nothing to do with the anthem and was even suggested by a vet that he consulted. If you are even a little bit willing to look at this w fresh eyes, you are part of the problem.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Just what we need. More race baiting.
expresswrittenconsent
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

but his asking price was seven figures and no team was having it.

7 figures?? Wow.

(Broncos offed $7mm over 2 years. May want to get anywhere inside source)

Cost + ability + hassle factor is done for every player (and really every job). The combination didn't warrant anyone signing him

I dont think this is wrong (that owners made a cost+ability+hassle decision) but when you consider that his "hassle factor" was simply that he was kneeling for the anthem, and that other players had a "hassle factor" that included various crimes and they came back and he didn't, well its not hard to see why some people think there is either massive institutional racism and collusion within the NFL ownership/leadership, or that those same owners aren't racist but think their fan base is so racist that they lack the courage to allow kap in the league.
BMX Bandit
Macarthur said:

The old standard of the article is crap...well, that executive doesn't really know what he's talking about.

It is a fact that he was a better QB than many guys on rosters. I also will look for it but I think I read that the crap about him turning down offers has been debunked.

I didn't care for what he did, at the time, but he was right. His protest had nothing to do with the anthem and was even suggested by a vet that he consulted. If you are even a little bit willing to look at this w fresh eyes, you are part of the problem.

We can't all be as enlightened as you.

It's a fact Kaepernick turned down offers to play. He was not worth what he wanted based on his ability & accompanying headache. Clinton crony Joe Lockhart article doesn't really dispute that being the case.

If Kaepernick was as good as Matt Ryan etc in 2016, More teams would have tolerated him.

Dez Bryant was better then lots of guys on rosters and he couldn't get a job. Why?
03_Aggie
if I recall correctly, he'd been benched before his social justice movement.

Quote:

The 49ers punted on their season, and on Kaepernick's future with the team, by making that decision. It was just in June of 2014 that Kaepernick signed a contract extension through 2020, worth a possible $114 million. The front office hedged its bets, though, essentially making Kaepernick's contract a year-to-year proposition: If he is on the roster on April 1 next year, his entire 2016 base salary of $11.9 million becomes guaranteed; the same goes for April 1, 2017, when $14.5 million comes due.

Quote:

But Kaepernick's play has slid in concert with the 49ers' implosion, and the on-field issues have been just a part of the concern. FOX's Jay Glazer reported on his network's pregame show a week back that Kaepernick is "on an island inside that locker room." CBS's Jason La Canfora added on, tweeting Monday that newly traded tight end Vernon Davis "was among those sick of Kap walking around team headquarters with headphones on all day," all but confirming multiple reports of Kaepernick's reclusive approach to his teammates.

This was all pre-kneeling. The guy's run as a starter had come to an end and he was unwilling to accept a contract equal to a high-end back up.

expresswrittenconsent
I missed your proof that he refused backup money. Who knew it was so simple? Weird the NFL chose to settle the lawsuit. That seems easily provable and total vindication.
03_Aggie
expresswrittenconsent said:

I missed your proof that he refused backup money. Who knew it was so simple? Weird the NFL chose to settle the lawsuit. That seems easily provable and total vindication.

So settling something is an admission of guilt? I mean no one ever settles things because it was deemed easier, and less costly, than continuing to fight it?

Quote:

On Thursday, reporters asked Broncos GM John Elway if the team would consider signing Colin Kaepernick to fill the backup job. Elway said they wouldn't because the team previously offered Kaepernick a contract and he turned it down.

"Colin had his chance to be here," Elway said. "We offered him a contract. He didn't take it."

Elway seemed to be referring to negotiations that took place between the Broncos and Kaepernick in 2016. Kaepernick, then with the San Francisco 49ers, asked for permission to explore trades with other teams.

According to reports at the time, the Broncos were offering Kaepernick a deal with $7 million in base salary. That year he was slated to earn $11.9 million in base salary from the 49ers. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported at the time that the Broncos wanted the 49ers to make up the additional $4.9 million and they would not. Kaepernick refused to give up the remaining $4.9 million. The talks eventually fell apart.
TexAgs1992
expresswrittenconsent said:

TexAgs1992 said:

Macarthur said:

Sure. Your secret insider friend at ESPN told you. That's also why the NFL settled the collusion suit.
I specifically stated his position. The NFL settled the collusion suit to not waste their time in court. A settlement is pennies for a multi-billion dollar entity like the NFL. No need to be condescending.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Nfl owners don't care how controversial you are if you can help them win a super bowl, bob and cal mcnair not included. I used to be a sportswriter and still do freelance sportswriting now
I have asked many players and a few coaches about this very issue

If you can contribute to a team, someone will sign you. Ray lewis either murdered someone or saw someone else murder him and the ravens had no problem with him. Michael vick went to prison for a heinous crime and the eagles couldnt wait to sign him. Kaepernick even before the kneeling was vastly more interested in his branding then improving as a football player. Once defenses knew his limitations, he plateaued, just like vince young. If you arent interested in working hard every day to improve, you get benched. Then you get cut. And if you throw in some behavior that is frowned upon by the masses - Kaepernick, Manziel - you make the decision that much easier.
JCA1
AG
At this point, he's a back up QB. And the league likes their back up QB to be like kids - seen but not heard. And it doesn't really matter the reason, only the distraction. Kap, JFF, VY, Tebow. All dudes who, for wildly different reasons, would generate much more media coverage than playing time. So teams passed.
BBQ4Me
AG
Even in his last season, he put up decent numbers.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14001/colin-kaepernick
16-4 TD:INT. This coming with the league's worst defense.

Was he a top10 QB? Nope.
Was he better than some starters and the vast majority of backups? Yep.
Was he worth the potential backlash? Depends on your perspective.
hph6203
AG
Macarthur said:

My perspective on Kaepernick is that he wasn't wrong to kneel during the anthem, I never had a problem with it personally, but I recognized that the kind of person who he was trying to reach with his message was never going to be able to hear what he had to say, because they'd be too distracted by what he was doing. It was a poorly executed protest for a valid message and he went down like a martyr without changing many minds.

I also never had a problem with owners deciding that his talent wasn't worth the hassle. He was destined to be a back up, because despite his numbers "not being that bad", 16 TDS in 12 games is also not that good. And you want your back up to not cause distractions, because odds are he's not going to see the field very often.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Explain the part where he reps the swoosh company that employs foreign child labor under abhorrent working conditions, please.

I'll hang up and listen.
LEJ
Can OP just directly call us all racists, so we can wrap this up?
Longhorn Nation
I thought his asking prices was 8-figures ($10mm+), not 7-figures. He's been out of the game too long to be considered the starting QB and no NFL team wants this circus as their backup. Way too distracting. Couple that with his asking price and it's clear why he hasn't been signed.
hph6203
AG
I think someone is going to sign him.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Don't think so. Roster spots are too valuable to waste on a mascot.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
LEJ said:

Can OP just directly call us all racists, so we can wrap this up?
LOL ,so true that's what he is angling for.
J. Walter Weatherman
Question for the OP - if he was blackballed solely because of racism/the protest why have other players like Eric Reid and Kenny Stills, who knelt multiple times and made their viewpoints very clear, been able to get signed?
Ags #1
AG
Drew brees is getting roasted for his comments
Trucker 96
He was also an ill fit as a backup qb. They get no reps and you practically have to change your offense to accommodate him if he has to play. Bad fit
PatAg
AG
If he was good enough to be a star, he would have been signed. You dont take on a headache like his for a backup qb.
W
AG
he also hasn't played in 4 years
TexAgBolter
AG
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 season was cancelled due to "COVID-19"
Macarthur
J. Walter Weatherman said:

Question for the OP - if he was blackballed solely because of racism/the protest why have other players like Eric Reid and Kenny Stills, who knelt multiple times and made their viewpoints very clear, been able to get signed?

I think a lot of that has to do with his position. I agree with many of the posts here that talk about teams doing the risk reward calculation in their head and it falling on the side of not signing him due primarily to him being a QB.

Those other positions are much easier for a guy to fade into a team and not be a lightening rod.

I still stand by my origninal point that he was a much better QB than many of the guys on NFL rosters at that time.

Macarthur
Ags #1 said:

Drew brees is getting roasted for his comments

HIs apology was a good one, but he certainly deserved to get roasted for being incredibly tone deaf.
Trucker 96
Yeah, he's a dummy for not acknowledging how many totally nancy-ass nutjobs looking to take offense at absolutely anything are out there now. He's tone deaf for not realizing that if you are going to say anything short of self-flagellation, then you need to just keep your mouth shut.
Macarthur
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Yeah, he's a dummy for not acknowledging how many totally nancy-ass nutjobs looking to take offense at absolutely anything are out there now. He's tone deaf for not realizing that if you are going to say anything short of self-flagellation, then you need to just keep your mouth shut.
You consider the NFL players that have disagreed with him as 'nancy-ass'?

I find this incredibly ironic that the right loves to throw around the snowflake moniker yet they are the one's offended at the drop of a hat.

This is a great thread that addresses this specific issue:

Trucker 96
I think it's a mob looking for any excuse to be offended. Absolutely I do. I don't need them to apologize to me though.

As far as your Wendell Pierce quote goes, Brees is actually trying to extend the respect to Pierce's father that he didn't get back then. But hey, we live in a world where the message below is now offensive. Awesome

Quote:

"I believe we should all stand for the national anthem and respect our country and all those who sacrificed so much for our freedoms," Brees said via text message. "That includes all those who marched for women's suffrage in the 1920s and all those who marched in the civil rights movements and continue to march for racial equality. All of us ... EVERYONE ... represent that flag. Same way I respect all the citizens of our country ... no matter their race, color, religion.

"And I would ask anyone who has a problem with what I said to look at the way I live my life. Do I come across as someone who is not doing my absolute best to make this world a better place, to bring justice and equality to others, and hope & opportunity to those who don't have it? That's what I meant by actions speak louder than words. ... My ACTIONS speak for themselves."
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.