Collective bargaining thread (more games & playoffs)

9,367 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by W
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Everybody's favorite time! Labor negotiations!!

Makes 1 seed even bigger

expresswrittenconsent
How does a 17th game work in terms of 8 home / 8 away? Will all teams play 1 neutral site game? Texans-Cowboys annual game in austin/san antonio/kyle (barf)?

London games are a lot easier fits then.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Add the game and anothe bye week

Super Bowl Sunday played on president day weekend

Boom win for all
BMX Bandit
Dan Wetzel whining about the NFL being greedy

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-proposed-playoff-expansion-could-be-tipping-point-in-greed-015752890.html

4 years left for Cuban's prediction to come true.

Quote:

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said back in 2014. "I'm just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting slaughtered. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

"When you take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

NFL is going to have an even bigger TV deal than they do now, so going to guess implosion doesn't happen.

lunchbox
Up to the players now...

lunchbox
lunchbox

txagman1998
AG
Quote:

How does a 17th game work in terms of 8 home / 8 away? Will all teams play 1 neutral site game? Texans-Cowboys annual game in austin/san antonio/kyle (barf)?

I would assume this would be an AFC-NFC permanent rivalry game. Thus, Cowboys would play Texans every year, with them playing twice every four years when the NFC East plays the AFC South.

I don't think it will be a neutral site game. Rather, teams with 9 regular season home games will get only 1 preseason home game.

If it is a permanent rival game, there will definitely be a mix of some natural rivals, and some forced rivals:

Cowboys - Texans
Giants - Jets
Eagles - Steelers
Redskins - Ravens
Bears - Colts
Lions - Browns
Packers - Patriots
Vikings - Bills
Falcons - Jaguars
Panthers - Bengals
Saints - Titans
Bucs - Dolphins
Cardinals - Chiefs
Rams - Chargers
49ers - Raiders
Seahawks - Broncos
BMX Bandit
17th game would be played at out of market site.

Not sure how you do permanent rival.

Example, when afc south plays nfc East, cowboys & Texans need another game.

It would be rotated opponent in opposite league based on finish.

All teams: AFC South V NFC east
By finish: NFC east v AFC east

Then rotate
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
IMO a good compromise that would left very few people angry and unsatisfied woulda been:

18 game schedule, but only allow each player to be eligible for 16 games. This gives the NFL the 2 more games (big money for the owners and players to split), gives the fans 2 more games, keeps players suited up for max 16 games still so no further exposure to injury or CTE type stuff, extends the season a bit while also shortening the offseason (also great for fans), and will bring a cool new element of roster management strategy for each team and coaching staff. Teams will have to really plan out when they want to sit out certain guys.
expresswrittenconsent
'2 more games, but without your favorite stars' might be a tough sell to players, fans, tv networks, etc.
ac04
that would screw up gambling and fantasy so bad. no way they'd ever do that
lunchbox
Bunk Moreland
redag06
Why does he care, he doesn't play full seasons anyways.

The only reason I don't like more games is because it screws with season records.
Bunk Moreland
Funny enough I work with someone who has friends apparently in jj/new wife's circles.

She claims he may retire this off season and if not next off season and the trade of his wife to the Chicago soccer team was a request by her because jj knows he's almost done so he didn't care.

Take it with a wheelbarrow of salt. I don't necessarily believe it but just filed it away in case.
redag06
He's on record many times saying he doesn't plan to play till he's old. So I'd believe it especially with his recent injury issues.
Bunk Moreland
17 games + another half a percent or full percent of revenue is a major financial increase for the players.

If they do 17 games I'd want 2 bye weeks and no team should ever have to play on Sunday and then the next Thursday. They should easily be able to create a schedule that avoids that. It will make Thursday games a ton better too
BMX Bandit
W
AG
would the regular season start a week earlier?

if yes, college football will lose their big NFL-free opening weekend
W
AG
txagman1998 said:

Quote:

I would assume this would be an AFC-NFC permanent rivalry game. Thus, Cowboys would play Texans every year, with them playing twice every four years when the NFC East plays the AFC South.

I don't think it will be a neutral site game. Rather, teams with 9 regular season home games will get only 1 preseason home game.

If it is a permanent rival game, there will definitely be a mix of some natural rivals, and some forced rivals:

Cowboys - Texans
Giants - Jets
Eagles - Steelers
Redskins - Ravens
Bears - Colts
Lions - Browns
Packers - Patriots
Vikings - Bills
Falcons - Jaguars
Panthers - Bengals
Saints - Titans
Bucs - Dolphins
Cardinals - Chiefs
Rams - Chargers
49ers - Raiders
Seahawks - Broncos
you know what's strange about that...most teams already play their natural rivals (in their division) except Dallas & Houston and SF & Oakland and NYJ-NYG. Most of those matchups above don't seem very exciting
lunchbox
Being able to shuffle players from the PS to active roster and back is huge. Going to be interesting to see if teams are more strategic with the construction of their PS.

BMX Bandit
dont see players voting to approve. they will ask for bigger percentage is an easy guess.
lunchbox
This is something that the players have really been asking for...although I am sure they want appeals handled by a neutral party as well...

. . .
lunchbox
Bunk Moreland
Rome had Ross Tucker on today and he was making a great point. He thinks this deal is overwhelmingly great for the vast majority of the players in the league. They'll look at a 17th game and see that it's worth an extra $120-$150k per season for an everyday guy and absolutely want that.

He mentioned specifically guys like Watt & Sherman being opposed as viewing it from their lens of huge contract dollars and it doesn't jive with most of the league. He thinks the NFLPA did a great job negotiating over the last handful of months and this should be a good CBA, or really close to it as it currently sits.
Ranger222
AG
Maybe I'm completely misreading this but --

I thought the NFL/owners tried to strategically leak info to NFL fans regarding more playoff teams, 17th game to get this new agreement in their favor, almost trying to force the players to agree or face backlash.

Seems the players are pushing back a bit which is good. I don't get the 17th game at all, unless its the NFL's way to make every NFL team play a neutral site game (international like London or Mexico) without some teams complaining about losing one home game every year. 17 just doesn't make sense.

I'm glad they are expanding rosters and practice squads
BMX Bandit
Quote:

I don't get the 17th game at all,
its not complicated.

Its a way to generate more money.

and there is going to be a 17th game. the only question is whether its 2020, or in 2-3 years from now.
expresswrittenconsent
17 is just a path to 18.
Bunk Moreland
BMX Bandit
Bunk Moreland

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
JJ Watt doing everything he can to destroy his good guy persona.
diehard03
Ross Tucker is doing some serious water carrying for the NFL owners to keep his information flowing.

100ish-k is not a great deal for the average player because his likelihood to get cut increases with the 17th game. it's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I don't know how the players can accept a 17th game with no guaranteed contracts. The players are really doing this badly.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.