True or False: Patrick Mahomes will be the greatest QB ever when he retires

5,667 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GCP12
GCP12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I say true
Danny Vermin
Who knows but hopefully he will continue to be the humble and incredibly nice human I met over the summer.
Goldie Wilson
Unlikely, but it's certainly possible.
PatAg
AG
false
Kashchei
AG
False. He needs at least 4 more rings to enter into the conversation.
suburban cowboy
AG
No one is touching Brady
TyHolden
AG
Brady and it won't be close
redag06
Brady has had the greatest coach ever, so it will never be a fair comparison.

Brady will retire and bill will still win a few more.
TyHolden
AG
KC was lucky to beat 2 Houston teams. You can't win continuously with "some" defense. Congrats to KC though.
W
AG
time will indeed tell if Mahomes can catch Brady. But he's off to a great start after 3 seasons:

1 Super Bowl championship
1 Super Bowl MVP award
1 League MVP award

both Kelce and Tyreek are under contract thru 2021. If everyone stays healthy, KC will be strongly in the Super Bowl mix the next 2 years -- the AFC favorite
W
AG
and of course some of Mahomes' future postseason success will depend on the development of the other young AFC QB's. Namely Lamar and Watson. Notice that neither is in the AFC West.

if the other AFC West teams don't develop QB's...KC will cruise to the playoffs each season with Mahomes. Like Brady and the Patriots did for 2 decades
W
AG
also interesting...Mahomes is 4-1 in the playoffs.

in those 5 games...the Chiefs have scored: 31, 31, 51, 35, and 31 points.

Mahomes has 13 TD passes and 3 TD runs in those 5 games.

he's been unstoppable
45-70Ag
AG
Needs to go to ten more consecutive afc championships.
Needs at least eight more super bow appearances with six of those being wins.

At that point he would enter the conversation.
GCP12
AG
W said:

also interesting...Mahomes is 4-1 in the playoffs.

in those 5 games...the Chiefs have scored: 31, 31, 51, 35, and 31 points.

Mahomes has 13 TD passes and 3 TD runs in those 5 games.

he's been unstoppable
He's a defensive offside away from winning 2 super bowls in 2 seasons played. Andy Reid is only 61 years old and an elite head coach. With Brady and Brees at their age, they have a top 2 duo at the two most important positions in the league along with the Seahawks, imo. They're set up to make a crazy good 5-6 year run.

Having just praised Reid, I must say calling that TO with 19 seconds left in the 1st half was a very creative new way to screw up clock management. That OPI on Kittle was weak and Andy Reid deserved a SF FG to end the half. Football clock management continues to be the most mind boggling phenomenon in sports.
wangus12
AG
It all depends on what happens with his contract. It will become a lot harder when he is making 40 million instead of 5 million to put a full team around him. I do think he'll be in the conversation and might get another ring or 2.
TyHolden
AG
redag06 said:

Brady has had the greatest cheat ever
El Chupacabra
Irish_Man said:

So if he wins AT LEAST 7 Super Bowls, he can enter the conversation of the greatest? Dayum...them's some tough requirements to just get a ticket into the conversation.
diehard03
Quote:

Having just praised Reid, I must say calling that TO with 19 seconds left in the 1st half was a very creative new way to screw up clock management. That OPI on Kittle was weak and Andy Reid deserved a SF FG to end the half. Football clock management continues to be the most mind boggling phenomenon in sports.

I can't follow you there.

It was a gamble that Jimmy G might do something stupid on 3rd down on his own 25, especially since his own coach didn't have the faith in him by not calling TO before KC punted.

The 49ers weren't going to go try and score. They got a 20 yard play and threw up a prayer to avoid KC getting the ball back.

The fact that it almost worked doesn't mean the Reid TO was stupid.
W
AG
of course the other side of the coin...

Aaron Rodgers won the Super Bowl in 2010...and has never been back.

started 5-1 in the playoffs, but now only 11-8 overall
MooreTrucker
AG
Can he become the greatest? Absolutely. He's other-world talented, team-oriented, humble, and grounded.

Will he? Depends on too many other factors to truly predict.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Depends on how long he plays too. Plenty of guys are bailing out early, even superstars. if the Chiefs have a year or two when their OL is down or suffers a bunch of injuries and he gets sacked 50 times, it could definitely shorten the amount of years he wants to play.

Was listening to Salisbury this morning saying Mahomes is in the best barganining position of almost any player in history for his next contract - 2 years of starting, an MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, and a Super Bowl title. He could ask for 85-100% of the money guaranteed out of a $200 million contract and retire when he's 30 if he wants.
45-70Ag
AG
El Chupacabra said:

Irish_Man said:

So if he wins AT LEAST 7 Super Bowls, he can enter the conversation of the greatest? Dayum...them's some tough requirements to just get a ticket into the conversation.

Brady has six
Anything less than that and he's not the greatest.
Seven Costanza
AG
What does greatest mean? Most accomplished? Highest apex in terms of overall skill set?

I could easily see him becoming #1 if the question "which QB would you want to lead your team at his absolute peak?"
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
False.
diehard03
Quote:

Was listening to Salisbury this morning saying Mahomes is in the best barganining position of almost any player in history for his next contract - 2 years of starting, an MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, and a Super Bowl title. He could ask for 85-100% of the money guaranteed out of a $200 million contract and retire when he's 30 if he wants.

I don't really buy this, unless the cap explodes upwards. No matter how good he is, owners are still all in this together and there will continue to be the systematic increase in guaranteed money.

now, if the cap explodes or does some crazy thing, then you could see a step-wise increase. but, other than that, he will simply get the highest paid at time of signing...and some else will pass him soon after.
ac04
he's excellent but false has to be the heavy favorite. he's not going to get 20 years with reid like brady did with belichick
BarryProfit
Is championships the singular measure of greatness? This isn't golf.

He's certainly more talented and skilled at his position than Brady ever was. Whether he can sustain it is an entirely other question. His present style of play lends itself to injury as well, which has to be a factor.
MooreTrucker
AG
Dan Marino and Jim Kelly are in the HOF with no championships.
amercer
AG
I've got no problem calling Brady the GOAT.

Still on pure quarterback play there have been a lot of guys who have probably been better players, but with a lot less around them.
diehard03
Quote:

Is championships the singular measure of greatness? This isn't golf.

He's certainly more talented and skilled at his position than Brady ever was. Whether he can sustain it is an entirely other question. His present style of play lends itself to injury as well, which has to be a factor.

I think you severely underestimate how good Brady is/was.
ashley
Brady is the best but not just because of the six. Bradshaw won four and has never been rated above Peyton Manning, a few moreQB's or even Dan Marino.
lunchbox
False - i just don't see everything coming together for 12-15 years so Mahomes can win 5 more. I see Mahomes as being more like Aaron Rodgers (with a much better attitude) when he retires.
agracer
AG
DSAg44 said:

KC was lucky to beat 2 Houston teams. You can't win continuously with "some" defense. Congrats to KC though.
yes, 41-0 in less than 3-quarters was all luck....
GCP12
AG
lunchbox said:

False - i just don't see everything coming together for 12-15 years so Mahomes can win 5 more. I see Mahomes as being more like Aaron Rodgers (with a much better attitude) when he retires.
I don't think he'd need to win 6. I think winning 4 would be enough. Obviously, just handing out 3 more super bowl titles when only 3 QBs ever have 4+ is a little crazy, but as I said before, Mahomes could very easily have 2 in his first two years as a starter.

I think you'd have to set the O/U at 2.5 objectively.

This post could have been made after Rodgers won his title, and this one might end up looking just as ridiculous as the Rodgers one would today. Mahomes just seems different. He's barely even had a bad game to this point.
GCP12
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I can't follow you there.

It was a gamble that Jimmy G might do something stupid on 3rd down on his own 25, especially since his own coach didn't have the faith in him by not calling TO before KC punted.

The 49ers weren't going to go try and score. They got a 20 yard play and threw up a prayer to avoid KC getting the ball back.

The fact that it almost worked doesn't mean the Reid TO was stupid.
I just didnt understand doing it with 19 seconds left and not doing it after 1st down. Give mahomes 40 seconds instead of under 10 to get into FG range before half. I thought exactly what happened(minus the OPI) was much more likely than KC getting an opportunity to score with that little amount of time left.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.