Demaurice Smith: two year strike may be necessary.

5,905 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/demaurice-smith-2-year-strike-may-be-necessary-leverage-nflpa-cba-negotiations

Can't stand demaurice. A two year strike would be asinine, how many guys can go that long without being paid and I'm assuming replacement players would play?
bonfarr
AG
Half the league would be broke within 9 months no way they make it 2 years.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
diehard03
Quote:

A two year strike would be asinine

I mean, it's not. it's pretty much the only leverage they have. Hell, they've been locked out before because the owners knew they couldn't make it.
IrishAg
That's funny that he thinks a strike would in any way help the players advantage. Any stoppage would be a tipping point for fans of a league that has been dodging serious issues for multiple years. The fans boo the freaking commissioner whenever he goes in public, and you want to point their ire at the players? Good luck with that, I'll enjoy college football and the xfl.
PatAg
AG
if they strike for 2 years, people will just watch college football, xfl, or any other league that starts up. The NFL is great, but they are crazy if they think people wont find a substitute
BMX Bandit
two year strike would be devastating to league, but they would bounce back in time.

but hard argue with what he's saying here:

"I'm here with a group of people who are willing to take a labor action," Smith said, indicating the chanting disgruntled state workers in the plaza behind him. "And people need to understand that it's really easy to call for a work stoppage; it's really hard to win one. So that's why I started notifying players four years ago about saving their checks, making changes to their debt structure, and the reality is that if we want to hold out and get everything we want, that's probably going to mean a two-year strike."

Hey...so.. um
What about guys who would be rookies during those 2 years. Play 4 years of HS ball, 3 years in college and then can't play in the NFL because millionaires are on strike. I hope the xfl is good viewing.
diehard03
Quote:

That's funny that he thinks a strike would in any way help the players advantage. Any stoppage would be a tipping point for fans of a league that has been dodging serious issues for multiple years. The fans boo the freaking commissioner whenever he goes in public, and you want to point their ire at the players? Good luck with that, I'll enjoy college football and the xfl.

That's literally the whole point of a strike or lockout - nuke the whole thing and see who blinks first.

I think it's odd that you think that that the owners would seriously crush the cash cow just "win" the negotiation.
diehard03
Quote:

What about guys who would be rookies during those 2 years. Play 4 years of HS ball, 3 years in college and then can't play in the NFL because millionaires are on strike. I hope the xfl is good viewing.

What about them? Do they want better conditions after the strike or don't they?
Guitarsoup
AG
Two years?

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
If they strike, the XFL will suddenly become a real football league. They will snap up all of the college players that would have ordinarily been headed to the NFL.
bonfarr
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

Or older veterans that only have 2 or 3 years left in their career to make money.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
PatAg
AG
I think there is room for the owners to give on some issues and avoid a strike. I think a lot of what the players are asking for is pretty ridiculous, and are being misled into a potential mistake.
45-70Ag
AG
If smith is serious about two years, the players are dumber than i ever thought they were.

That would kill an incredible number of careers.
Max Power
AG
It's an idle threat, posturing, nothing more. The vast majority of the league is not making what the superstars make. And a good chunk of superstars will be applying for high interest bridge loans within a few months once the checks dry up. Those non-superstars also don't have endorsements to fall back on either. The owners are in better positions to weather the storm, not the players. I'm not on either side, I want them to reach an agreement that is fair on both sides, but the NFL isn't the NBA. NFL players don't have the leverage that NBA players do, and the NFL owners are more cut throat than other leagues, the players will blink first. Honestly I think this probably all hinges upon what streaming rights are worth, and how it's divided. Streaming wasn't a thing at the last CBA, but it will be once the NFL negotiates it's next media deals. It's a new revenue stream, paychecks will increase for all parties.
diehard03
Rise of the XFL is good for the players

I'm not sure why everyone is parroting ownership talking points.

The players thinking only of themselves or their short term interests is what the owners want and why the players get their teeth kicked in during the CBA.
expresswrittenconsent
The XFL wont be a factor.
ElephantRider
AG
Would be smart for the players, but it will never happen. Guys aren't going to be willing to go that long without a check.

And I doubt the NFLPA will want guys going to the XFL.
bonfarr
AG
If the NFLPA calls an extended strike maybe we see JFF suit up again. Hope he is staying in shape.
45-70Ag
AG
I hope the nfl Sunday ticket gets together with amazon, espn plus, Apple TV or some streaming service.
expresswrittenconsent
Irish_Man said:

I hope the nfl Sunday ticket gets together with amazon, espn plus, Apple TV or some streaming service.

Very small chance of this ever happening. NFL wants to keep the sunday ticket subs at an artificially low number because they believe it would cause major cannibalization of the big prize, which is the sunday deals with CBS, FOX. The thinking is that with Sunday Ticket on a small exclusive provider (like dtv), you basically cap the users at around 2-3million subs paying about 300 for the package. If you opened it up to cable providers or amazon you could probably get 50+million subscribers at a $150 price point but the local cbs and fox affiliates would be losing so much in ad sales that those big sunday contracts the nfl signs with CBS/FOX would fall in value.
Aggie_95
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
These players cant afford 2 months. Maybe not even 2 games. Even suggesting this in a sport where careers are so short is ridiculous
DannyDuberstein
AG
ElephantRider said:

Would be smart for the players, but it will never happen. Guys aren't going to be willing to go that long without a check.

And I doubt the NFLPA will want guys going to the XFL.

How in the world is it smart for a guy to take 2 years off in what is a very short prime of a career? They would never, ever come close to making that up no matter how good of a deal they end up negotiating
ElephantRider
AG
Great for the players as a whole, including future players. Should have phrased it better. A lot of guys now will take a hit, for sure. But that's what it will take to get the changes they say they want.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd say great for future players only. No one is making up losing 2 years of their career.
LEJ
95% of these guys are meatheads who will have to say "Uncle" in 6-8 months.

expresswrittenconsent
LEJ said:

I'm guessing 95% of this thread doesnt have 8 months of living expenses saved. Is the entire human population just meatheads?
BMX Bandit
expresswrittenconsent said:

LEJ said:

I'm guessing 95% of this thread doesnt have 8 months of living expenses saved. Is the entire human population just meatheads?
entire? no.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
expresswrittenconsent said:

LEJ said:

I'm guessing 95% of this thread doesn't make millions of dollars per year, either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.