Drew Pearson

2,165 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCA1
bilbobag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How in the heck did he get passed up for Hall of Fame again? He's the only player that was on the all 70's not in the Hall..

Such BS..
bilbobag
This coming from a football fan, the dude could ball.
annie88
AG
I'm not a Cowboys fan but this makes me very sad.

EllisCoAg
AG
Only member of the All Decade team not in

What the hell is wrong!!!!
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
Southlake
Shame.

I'd bet he gets in on the Veterans Ballot
W
AG
it's surprising that Pearson is not in the Hall of Fame. His regular season numbers are very good; but they are not quite outstanding. He only caught 48 TD passes in his career. Folks may not realize that.

he was great in the postseason and of course caught the Hail Mary TD pass from Staubach.

2 of his peers that played in almost the same timeframe: Harold Carmichael (79 TD's) and Cliff Branch (67 TD's) have much better regular season numbers. Both of them should be in the Hall. Carmichael is getting in this year. Branch will eventually too.

in fact Branch may have Pearson blocked. Cliff was also 3 times all-pro...and was a 3-time super bowl champion. His 1974 & 1976 seasons were ridiculous in the 14-game run-the-ball era
W
AG
on the flipside...Pearson's numbers are just about the same as Lynn Swann's
JCA1
AG
While I've been in Houston since 2000 and jumped on the Texans bandwagon when the new team started up, I grew up a Cowboys fan. We used to go watch the Cowboys practice on Saturday mornings during the season. Hard to imagine now but the practices were open to the public and maybe 50 people would show up. As he was our favorite player, we got to know Drew very well. He's an incredible guy. Did a handful of very nice things for my family and actually called my mom about 10 years ago when he randomly ran across her contact info. Still remembered my brother and me and asked how we were. Genuinely good dude. And he even let me wear his Super Bowl ring.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
How many more chances does he have ?
Iowaggie
AG
I must admit that when I first saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was that he had died so when I saw the thread I was a bit relieved.

EastSideAg2002
Iowaggie said:

I must admit that when I first saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was that he had died so when I saw the thread I was a bit relieved.

Just on the inside
DannyDuberstein
AG
I just don't see how 1st team All Decade cant be HOF. The entire 2nd team is in for crissake. The game today has really negatively (and unfairly) skewed analysis of old WRs and their numbers. And that scene today was sports gut wrenching .
91AggieLawyer
AG
W said:

it's surprising that Pearson is not in the Hall of Fame. His regular season numbers are very good; but they are not quite outstanding. He only caught 48 TD passes in his career. Folks may not realize that.

he was great in the postseason and of course caught the Hail Mary TD pass from Staubach.

2 of his peers that played in almost the same timeframe: Harold Carmichael (79 TD's) and Cliff Branch (67 TD's) have much better regular season numbers. Both of them should be in the Hall. Carmichael is getting in this year. Branch will eventually too.

in fact Branch may have Pearson blocked. Cliff was also 3 times all-pro...and was a 3-time super bowl champion. His 1974 & 1976 seasons were ridiculous in the 14-game run-the-ball era

You're forgetting the fact that the Cowboys had the 2 best receivers in the NFC during the time (Pearson and Tony Hill) and 5 of the best in football (Pearson, Hill, Butch Johnson, Jay Saldi, and Billy Joe Dupree). Not to mention Preston Pearson, Tony Dorsett and even Robert Newhouse coming out of the backfield. That backfield ALONE caught almost 25 TDs for the Cowboys while Drew was there. Even the great Dave Casper only caught 32 TD passes for Oakland during the Branch era. Freddy B. only had 2 more! Branch was THE TD pass catching guy for Oakland at the time, and he played longer than Pearson.

Go look and see how many the backfield, the OTHER tight ends, AND slot guys caught for Oakland and Philly during that time period. Neither Oakland nor Philly had the running game the Cowboys had, first with Calvin Hill and Garrison, and later with Newhouse and Dorsett. Drew wasn't necessarily needed to catch TD passes. He was too busy blocking for 99 yard TD runs!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Next year's senior committee needs to fix this bull***** The bright side is this class cleaned out a lot of that senior type backlog that is usually limited to 2 guys, so it could (and should) happen.
Southlake Ag
AG
W said:

Pearson's HOF Monitor score is significantly higher than Carmichael's. Like 82 to 64.
Macarthur
Complete BS
SilverTongueDevil
I'm not sure what it is but there is something strange about Pearson.

Remember that it took the Cowboys 28 years after he retired before they finally agreed to put him in the Ring of Honor.
Southlake
Yeah, I hate to see players (no matter how good) lobby for themselves to be in the HOF.

Pete Rose, although with obvious numbers, is another.
PooDoo
AG
JCA1 said:

While I've been in Houston since 2000 and jumped on the Texans bandwagon when the new team started up, I grew up a Cowboys fan. We used to go watch the Cowboys practice on Saturday mornings during the season. Hard to imagine now but the practices were open to the public and maybe 50 people would show up. As he was our favorite player, we got to know Drew very well. He's an incredible guy. Did a handful of very nice things for my family and actually called my mom about 10 years ago when he randomly ran across her contact info. Still remembered my brother and me and asked how we were. Genuinely good dude. And he even let me wear his Super Bowl ring.

How could you possibly be a Texans fan after that?
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

JCA1 said:

How could you possibly be a Texans fan after that?

No kidding!
JCA1
AG
Understandable question. Again, moved to Houston in 2000. Most of my Aggie buddies were from Houston and lived here. When the Texans were announced, they all decided to buy season tickets. With the allure of weekly tailgates with my buds, I jumped on board.

I never would have switched to the Oilers, but the Texans seemed like a different scenario. And, after 20 years, Houston is definitely home for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.