Rooney Rule Resurgence

4,616 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Macarthur
TheCougarHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those that can't do, teach (coach)
diehard03
Quote:

Why is that?

Are you asserting that there aren't more black athletes on college-level football teams than white?
03_Aggie
No, I am asking why is that the case?
W
AG
two mistakes a lot of players make in college...

they don't get themselves educated about all the other facets of the game. They just know or focus on their position group and their assignments.

and secondly...they don't get themselves educated...on education in general. The job interview is critical. Have to sound intelligent and polished (to some degree)
MooreTrucker
AG
Irish_Man said:

Stephen A. Smith doesn't like to acknowledge Ron Rivera as a minority candidate. He's as racist as anyone can be.

SAS is the biggest racist ***** in all of sports media.
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
I know what they are trying to do is positively intended, but I think the rule is unnecessary and fairly insulting to both franchise and black coaches that are interview fodder.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. I just think we are so far beyond the need for something like this, and it's essentially an insulting dog and pony show so the NFL can say "see, look how awesomely we embrace diversity even if it's a joke". To the teams as if they aren't doing their damnedest to find the best candidate for their multi-billion dollar business. And to coaches that are playing pretend interview. I don't know why some take the call either.
Frok
AG
This is a story every year. Controversy is good for news pundits.
KatyAg88
I thought Bienemy might get the Browns job. He probably needs to go after a college HC job and get some HC experience and prove himself. I am sure NFL people probably feel the Chiefs success is all Andy Reed.
diehard03
Quote:

Higher cultural affinity? Little interest in other sports? I have no idea, but that isn't really germane here.
diehard03

Quote:

I don't know why some take the call either.

Because someone will hire one to stop the bad press.

Someone has to so Jerry Jones never does. (joke)

I think you'll see the rule have provisions for the lower coaches soon.
BMX Bandit
KatyAg88 said:

I thought Bienemy might get the Browns job. He probably needs to go after a college HC job and get some HC experience and prove himself. I am sure NFL people probably feel the Chiefs success is all Andy Reed.
Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson disagree.

03_Aggie
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Higher cultural affinity? Little interest in other sports? I have no idea, but that isn't really germane here.

Yeah, you're probably right, it's probably those reasons.
diehard03
Quote:

Yeah, you're probably right, it's probably those reasons.

Ok, what's your hypothesis as to why a majority of college football players are black...
Macarthur
BMX Bandit said:

KatyAg88 said:

Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson disagree.

This. And don't even get started on Judge in NY.

Look, I don't think there is overt racism going on here, but there is no question there is a huge bias against black coaches going on here. Geez a guy like Judge and Zach Taylor getting shots at a HC gig before someone like Bienemy is silly.
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

Agree. I just think we are so far beyond the need for something like this, and it's essentially an insulting dog and pony show so the NFL can say "see, look how awesomely we embrace diversity even if it's a joke". To the teams as if they aren't doing their damnedest to find the best candidate for their multi-billion dollar business. And to coaches that are playing pretend interview. I don't know why some take the call either.

You truly believe given some of the decisions these teams have made over the years that HC hires are based on meritocracy?
Macarthur
KatyAg88 said:

But again, as the above post commented, this is not the case for other coaches.

I do think if many of us would try to see things from the perspective of the black coach, it does seem TO THEM that they have to be twice as good to get a chance that these other guys have gotten.
W
AG
Bieniemy has some baggage...granted from 20+ years ago...which you don't normally see from head coaching candidates. Multiple incidents.

being associated with the Colorado football program in the late 80's/early 90's is generally not a good thing
Macarthur
I don't remember the issues with him. What were they?
Scotty Appleton
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/6/18169793/bengals-coach-search-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-vance-joseph-broncos

This goes into some of Bieniemy's past. He has a lot of baggage that owners are obviously aware of.
diehard03
I can fully understand if the owners have a documented connection to the rapes at Colorado. Everything else is rather innocuous.
Macarthur
I would agree with this. I don't see anything 'directly' attributed to them that should keep them off interview lists.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.