Rooney Rule Resurgence

4,623 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Macarthur
Post removed:
by user
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's the same every year.
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

I dont understand how people watch this year in and year out.

The average sports fan is pretty dumb. Everyone's catering to that intelligence level and keeping them there.

You're hearing about this now because you had 2 teams interview the "deserving black coordinator ready to be a HC" and choose lesser experienced white coaches. (I'm not saying those teams are wrong, just the optics)
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

Even the simple have to tire of everything being about race though.

And I cant imagine someone the head of a multibillion dollar organization with a massive spotlight on them would use race to determine a significant hire. Might just be me thinking like a normal human being, so idk.

There's another level to it. "Offensive geniuses" are envogue right now...and black coordinators and position coaches are disproportionally on the defensive side of the ball.

Also, NFL is the perfect lens to see how being the head of multibillion dollar entity offers you no protection from being an insecure human. NFL teams often make stupid decisions just because someone else does.
Post removed:
by user
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, the rule in spirit is great. In execution it's lacking sometimes. Like everything else in life, there's no perfect solution.

I'm curious how black coaches feel about the rule in certain situations. The Dallas coaching search is a prime example. It's very obvious McCarthy was their #1 target. But, they couldn't just hire him right away. They had to bring in Marvin Lewis to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Lewis is a great coach and has a ring (and claim to possibly the nastiest defense to ever play the game)... but he had zero shot at the job given his failure in the postseason as a head coach.

Did Lewis appreciate the interview or is he slightly annoyed, knowing in the back of his mind why he was brought in?

I'm guessing there's more positive feelings than negatives regarding the current process. I'd like to think there is a time in the near future when they can eliminate the rule because natural diversity has taken its course and it's simply not needed.
ElephantRider
AG
What are they going to do, have every team hiring a coach draw straws to see who is required to hire a black coach?
ElephantRider
AG
Saw an article where Stephen A. Smith was slamming the Judge hire and saying that black position coaches don't get HC gigs...wasn't Brian Flores a LB coach?
W
AG
that is a good point.

are there any black "offensive gurus" or "geniuses" --- they all seem to be white guys
diehard03
Quote:

are there any black "offensive gurus" or "geniuses" --- they all seem to be white guys

Depends on what you think about Bienemy in KC or Leftwich in Tampa.

I do think there are fair questions to ask: Are black coaches funneled towards the defense? or, are the "offensively minded" black coaching candidates simply not interested in being coaches? WRs and RBs have positions held by black athletes for a long time. Where are the coaches? Why are these white offensive guys coming out of nowhere, but no love for Leftwich or Staley?

None of these things mean there is racism in the league
diehard03
Quote:

Saw an article where Stephen A. Smith was slamming the Judge hire and saying that black position coaches don't get HC gigs...wasn't Brian Flores a LB coach?

There hasn't been one this year. You also have the stink of Wilkes only getting 1 season and guys like Gase keeping their jobs.

(I'm ignoring Rivera because he was fired this year as well)
PatAg
AG
If you think about it, the past 10-15 years there has been a rise in black qb's and tight ends. I would venture to guess, those two positions contribute more to the coaching ranks after they retire than any other. Maybe OL would be up there as well, but thats technically 5 positions. So as those guys start retiring, we might start to see it become more common. The thing is, they have to show an interest in coaching.
For instance, if Donovan McNabb wanted to, he could probably get hired on to any teams coaching staff immediately.
PatAg
AG
jr15aggie said:

Yeah, the rule in spirit is great. In execution it's lacking sometimes. Like everything else in life, there's no perfect solution.

I'm curious how black coaches feel about the rule in certain situations. The Dallas coaching search is a prime example. It's very obvious McCarthy was their #1 target. But, they couldn't just hire him right away. They had to bring in Marvin Lewis to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Lewis is a great coach and has a ring (and claim to possibly the nastiest defense to ever play the game)... but he had zero shot at the job given his failure in the postseason as a head coach.

Did Lewis appreciate the interview or is he slightly annoyed, knowing in the back of his mind why he was brought in?

I'm guessing there's more positive feelings than negatives regarding the current process. I'd like to think there is a time in the near future when they can eliminate the rule because natural diversity has taken its course and it's simply not needed.
I do wonder, would other teams see that the Cowboys interviewed Lewis and then consider it themselves?
PatAg
AG
I'd like to think that everyone on this thread/board would have no problem if Jerry had hired a black coach, as long as he had a good reputation and we felt it could lead to super bowls.

Unfortunately, there ARE people out there who would be against hiring ANY black coach still.
diehard03
Quote:

I'd like to think that everyone on this thread/board would have no problem if Jerry had hired a black coach, as long as he had a good reputation and we felt it could lead to super bowls.

Unfortunately, there ARE people out there who would be against hiring ANY black coach still.

The optics are that Jerry might be one of those people. Never had one. Kept and rehired inept white guys for years. Did not consider the black defensive guy on his roster. Did not consider the black offensive "next guy up" in KC. Considered Marvin Lewis, another defensive black coach...maybe just to skirt the rooney rule.

Seems to be refusing to pay his black QB market rate.

(Do i think he's racist based on this? No. I don't know that he is, but this isn't enough to say he is)
Vernada
AG
I think 99+% fans don't care who their coach is so long as s/he is winning. Count me in that category. If there's an illegal immigrant purple bi shemale that can take the Cowboys to the Superbowl - by all means, I am 100% onboard.
Iowaggie
AG
I feel like this is a topic that can be brought up every year at this time unless there is something more interesting to discuss.

I'm going to just assume that the Monday after the next playoff game or the day after the NCG, there will be "discussion" on any close or controversial officiating call, unless there is some dirty hit worth discussing.
Proposition Joe
News shows have to fill up 24 hours of programming.

So you're going to get some good takes, some dumb takes, and most importantly -- takes that cater to every viewer.

If you're talking about it, they've done their job.
Scotty Appleton
ElephantRider said:

Anthony Lynn was really never a coordinator, he had an interim gig at Buffalo for a bit before getting the Chargers gig. Jim Caldwell was a QB coach & college head coach before he got the Indy gig. Raheem Morris was never an NFL coordinator before getting the Tampa HC gig. Tomlin & Vance Joseph had 1 year at DC before they got HC gigs. Multiple examples of black position coaches & relatively inexperienced guys getting their shot.
45-70Ag
AG
Stephen A. Smith doesn't like to acknowledge Ron Rivera as a minority candidate. He's as racist as anyone can be.
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

Stephen A. Smith doesn't like to acknowledge Ron Rivera as a minority candidate. He's as racist as anyone can be.

Red herring. Many don't think Ron should have been fired, and one might argue that was quickly rectified. The voices probably would have been even louder without the Washington hire.

I think his anger is misplaced at the HC position, though. The issue seems to be at the coordinator/position coach level and which side of the ball black coaches find themselves.
diehard03
Quote:

It's not about minorities, it's about black coaches. All of the people on the shows that made me make OP never said one word about minorities, they only talked about black coaches.

it's not hard to see why, right? Black players make up the majority of the "minority pool", if you want to look at it that way. So, if teams are looking more at non-black minorities...it pretty much begs the question.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
diehard03
Quote:

And is the amount of black head coaches representative of the percentage of black coaches overall? If so, I dont see a problem. Who cares if the players are black, if there arent black guys trying to get in to coaching, then they aren't going to be represented in the coaching ranks.

The assumption is that you would naturally have more black coaching candidates if the sport is dominated by black athletes. Right now, it doesn't seem like it's the case. This means either the assumption is wrong or there something is happening. it could be as simple as black athletes not interested because it seems like a "white man's job" and people can have a "play or watch, no in between" mentality.
ac
Not every single player is "coaching material." Some players may be better suited to careers in business or industry after retiring. And how about the ones who become TV/radio commentators? Does anyone keep a white/black head count there?

The point is that its impossible to judge as to what an adequate percentage of coaches should be of what ethnicity. As long as minorities are given opportunities, then there shouldn't be a problem.
Post removed:
by user
03_Aggie
diehard03 said:

Quote:

And is the amount of black head coaches representative of the percentage of black coaches overall? If so, I dont see a problem. Who cares if the players are black, if there arent black guys trying to get in to coaching, then they aren't going to be represented in the coaching ranks.

The assumption is that you would naturally have more black coaching candidates if the sport is dominated by black athletes. Right now, it doesn't seem like it's the case. This means either the assumption is wrong or there something is happening. it could be as simple as black athletes not interested because it seems like a "white man's job" and people can have a "play or watch, no in between" mentality.

I would say the assumption is wrong. Just as much as the assumption would be wrong if your started in the other direction and said that there should be more white players in the NFL since the majority of the HCs are white.
diehard03
Quote:

We are in agreement. The problem i see is that the rational things we are discussing here are completely out the window when it comes to the outrage mob.

I don't think so. You're saying there's nothing wrong. I am saying there might be...or there might not be. You also seem to want the discussion to go away. I think there's value in it...they are just barking up the wrong tree at the current moment

Again, I would be far more concerned with the state of coordinator/position coach than HC.
diehard03
Quote:

I would say the assumption is wrong. Just as much as the assumption would be wrong if your started in the other direction and said that there should be more white players in the NFL since the majority of the HCs are white.

I am hesitant to go there right now. I imagine there's a very high correlation between those who hold any coaching position in the NFL and at least playing in college. It also seems to follow that black athletes dominate white athletes in numbers on college teams. So, in theory, your pool of both interest and qualification (ie, at least participated in a high level football experience) applications should be predominately black. There's no denying the qualification part...but the interest level is something to consider.
Post removed:
by user
03_Aggie
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I am hesitant to go there right now. I imagine there's a very high correlation between those who hold any coaching position in the NFL and at least playing in college. It also seems to follow that black athletes dominate white athletes in numbers on college teams. So, in theory, your pool of both interest and qualification (ie, at least participated in a high level football experience) applications should be predominately black. There's no denying the qualification part...but the interest level is something to consider.

Why is that?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.