******* Dallas Cowboys 2020 offseason thread *********

189,360 Views | 2298 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dc509
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get it started. Officially #17 in the draft.

I'm gonna make my first early wish for Epenesa, DT from Iowa.

Mr.Bond
AG
https://www.facebook.com/332968243416537/posts/3006787899367878/
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Matsui
AG
Who are free agents?
TheCougarHunter
AG
Draft best Dlineman available. Pick up some OL depth, S and maybe a slot WR
Unemployed
AG
Matsui said:

Who are free agents?
https://overthecap.com/free-agency/dallas-cowboys/
toucan82
Too early to talk about Jeff Heath?
Daveintx
Unless the whole staff is cut, then Heath will remain a starter
gigem1223
Pretty much the entire DL is hitting free agency, minus Tank and Hill. Need to address that in the off-season heavily. Slot receiver will be a need if they don't resign Cobb. Brown and Jones also free agents. Lots of potential holes to fill. Need a stellar draft class and Hill to improve drastically in the offseason.
Macarthur
Gotta go heavy DL and DB this draft. It's apparently very deep at WR. Could maybe get a slot guy in the 5th or 6th.
the last of the bohemians
Draft the best safety in the draft
Silvertaps
AG
It's 9:18am CT and Jason Garrett is still the coach of the Dallas Cowboys
45-70Ag
AG
His contract expires when? Tomorrow?
Silvertaps
AG
Irish_Man said:

His contract expires when? Tomorrow?

Wednesday
culdeus
AG
This is the first offseason in how long without 10M in dead money or more on the books? I suppose Dak will gobble up at least 15% of the cap this year so that advantage will vanish quickly.
Carlo4
AG
Sounds like most of us are in agreement of drafting DB, S, DL, and maybe some OL/WR depth.

That said, we will probably draft a TE, K, another QB, another RB, some LB... and maybe one of the positions above...
BMX Bandit
I predict the new coach keeps Kellen Moore as OC and hires Witten on the staff.
Macarthur
BMX Bandit said:

I would def be okay with keeping Moore. Would like to see him without JG's ultra conservative nature lording over him

Right now, I'm really infatuated with the idea of Dan Campbell. I think that hire could pair w/ Moore pretty well.

If there is any coach I could have right now, I would pick Payton. Well, Campbell has been Payton's right hand man and Asst HC for about 5 years now. If you read the article I posted, Payton has delegated a ton of upfront role's for Campbell as it relates to gameplanning and addressing the team. I think Campbell may be the most prepared Asst Coach in the league right now.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, hard to say on Moore. He obviously has a future in this league. I agree that I'm at least curious to know how he would do w/out JG.

Same thing for our defense... I've had issues with Rod for a couple years now. Richard surely takes blame for our defenses all around lack of making game changing plays, but I'm curious if it would look differently if Richard had full control and Rod was gone.
TyHolden
AG
Macarthur said:

BMX Bandit said:

I would def be okay with keeping Moore. Would like to see him without JG's ultra conservative nature lording over him

Right now, I'm really infatuated with the idea of Dan Campbell. I think that hire could pair w/ Moore pretty well.

If there is any coach I could have right now, I would pick Payton. Well, Campbell has been Payton's right hand man and Asst HC for about 5 years now. If you read the article I posted, Payton has delegated a ton of upfront role's for Campbell as it relates to gameplanning and addressing the team. I think Campbell may be the most prepared Asst Coach in the league right now.
not sure about moore though...
Bregxit
AG
BMX Bandit said:

What if Jerreh does Jerreh things and Witten IS the new coach?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I'd rather the new coach just bring all his own guys in rather than keeping Moore or Marinelli. Saw wayy too many instances of this offense throwing passes 1-3 yards short of the sticks on 3rd downs this year to have Moore inspire me with confidence going forward.
Macarthur
Yeah, I hear ya.

It's just hard to know if those instances are Moore or the conservative inflence of JG. And while I don't think yardage should be the be all end all, they did lead the league in offense.

I think when you realize there were things at work out of Moore's control, like they had the worst starting field position of any offense in the league, so they had to drive virtually the length of the field for points every time they got the ball. Factor in all the missed FGs and does this offense look better points-wise....

I think Moore is going to be a really good coach in this league and I feel like 4 years from now if he gets washed out in this transition, we will regret letting him go kinda like we did w/ Payton.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG

DFW radio reporting entire coaching staff has been fired (Garrett not renewed)
Macarthur
Now reports that is not true, at least yet
Macarthur
jr15aggie
AG
So who got fired?

Jerry:
PatAg
gigem1223
Mike Nolan - DC
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Mike Nolan - DC
I don't really know much about him at all.

McCarthy definitely needs to clean out the defense and special teams coaches. I wouldn't keep a single one of them.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I know everyone likes Moore, but no way I'd want him on my staff if I was McCarthy. It's Jason Garrett/Wade Phillips all over again. It sucks knowing that your assistant is getting the job as soon as you have a bad season, and you always wonder if he's sandbagging to get you fired.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
. . .
BMX Bandit
ramblin_ag02 said:

I know everyone likes Moore, but no way I'd want him on my staff if I was McCarthy. It's Jason Garrett/Wade Phillips all over again. It sucks knowing that your assistant is getting the job as soon as you have a bad season, and you always wonder if he's sandbagging to get you fired.
huh?

why would Moore be next in line? Nothing like the Wade/Garrett dynamic at all.

and how would sandbagging help Moore get the cowboy job, or any job?
AgBQ-00
AG
Anyone know much about Mike Nolan. I've heard the name but don't know much about him. Not sure I like the stops I am seeing on his resume. Need to look into the years he was at each place.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I was well known that Garrett would be the next head coach if anything happened with Wade Phillips. I would expect the same thing if Moore was kept around. There was also plenty of talk during Wade's last season that the 0-8 start was mostly due to the offense. Then Garrett takes over and suddenly that same offense looks much better. Plenty of speculation at the time that Garrett was holding back until he had the top job
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PooDoo
AG
Go from conservative JG to MM who, correct me if I'm wrong, kicked 2 field goals from the 1 yard line. Then ran the ball in the trailing minutes of the 4th instead of trying to win it with Rodgers. They lost to the Seahawks in OT iirc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.