Surprised by Myles Garrett

5,958 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Goose83
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bregxit said:

ORAggieFan said:

Bregxit said:

Blindside05 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

1. It excuses nothing, but Rudolph was definitely giving him the business on the ground. I initially thought Myles' just lost his mind for no reason.

Why would you assume he just lost his mind for no reason? Clearly something happened. No one's saying that that excuses his actions, but people generally don't have a schizophrenic episode like that.

There is, most likely, perfectly logical reason for his reaction (or at least something we can understand). Will we get it? Probably not.

Well after rewatching, it appears the reason was Rudolph being a little ***** after he got hit. When on the ground, he started going after Myles' helmet like a rabid cat then when Myles stood up, Rudolph kicked him square in the junk.

Don't know about y'all, but when I have that **** happen to me plus two lineman yanking me around, I might have lost my **** as well
I have no issue with Myles' reaction up to the point he hit him with the helmet. Everything prior in my opinion was two guys going at it with Rudolph appearing to start the whole affair.

That Rudolph is receiving no criticism or punishment IMO is bullcrap. Myles' transgression shouldn't negate Rudolph's.
You're ignoring what should have been a late hit by Garrett. The ball was long out of his hand. That's what caused Rudolph's reaction. Not that it was justified.
It wasn't a late hit. It wasn't called a late hit. There were TWO officials staring right at it. Myles planted his face in Rudolph's numbers and wrapped him up right as Rudolph's arm started going forward. He has no idea where the ball is at that point and continued dragging him down. There was nothing late, no body slam or anything dirty at that point.

I know they didn't call it, just like they didn't call anything on Rudolph grabbing the mask. That hit is called more often than it's not though. I'm not saying Rudolph acted appropriately, but it's not like he just did it for no reason.
expresswrittenconsent
diehard03 said:

Quote:

People make that assumption because it is the only reason that makes sense. The only reason a millionaire playing a game on TV would stupidly and impulsively risk their career. The kind of helmet ripping fighting happens in every NFL game and practice all time. What doesnt ever happen is a guy swinging a helmet as a weapon into another's head. This is a 'just snapped' moment. Similar to Haynesworths head stomp, to RudyT/Kermit Washington, and similar to the one famous basebrawl out of thousands where the dude swung his bat at the pitcher. Violence within the written and unwritten rules is part of the game. Extreme violence outside of the rules is unusual, unexpected, and is why MG is currently indefinitely suspended.

Can we stop with this "millionaire playing a game on TV" nonsense? People risk their jobs all the time doing stupid ***** Football players are humans too. We just have this strange judgement complex because we can't earn what they earn doing what they do.

My point is that something causes someone to snap...it's strange to me if nothing caused him to snap...but, we seem to assume that nothing did.

You're hung up on really strange parts of the story. We are talking about a sports story and you seem to think this is a conversation about human psychology and money. Within the context of sports, "just snapped" makes the most sense because your psychology lessons about human decision making ignores the very real sports consequences of the story - namely that if some single little trigger can cause a top DL to lose his **** and get suspended for a year, then every other team is going to try and say or do that one little trigger thing to get the DL suspended. And since weve never seen this behavior from MG before despite tons of holding and 'dirty' tactics, it isnt really unreasonable to conclude that he 'just snapped' even if, again, you cant properly quantify what that means and find it annoying.
Bregxit
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Bregxit said:

ORAggieFan said:

Bregxit said:

Blindside05 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

1. It excuses nothing, but Rudolph was definitely giving him the business on the ground. I initially thought Myles' just lost his mind for no reason.

Why would you assume he just lost his mind for no reason? Clearly something happened. No one's saying that that excuses his actions, but people generally don't have a schizophrenic episode like that.

There is, most likely, perfectly logical reason for his reaction (or at least something we can understand). Will we get it? Probably not.

Well after rewatching, it appears the reason was Rudolph being a little ***** after he got hit. When on the ground, he started going after Myles' helmet like a rabid cat then when Myles stood up, Rudolph kicked him square in the junk.

Don't know about y'all, but when I have that **** happen to me plus two lineman yanking me around, I might have lost my **** as well
I have no issue with Myles' reaction up to the point he hit him with the helmet. Everything prior in my opinion was two guys going at it with Rudolph appearing to start the whole affair.

That Rudolph is receiving no criticism or punishment IMO is bullcrap. Myles' transgression shouldn't negate Rudolph's.
You're ignoring what should have been a late hit by Garrett. The ball was long out of his hand. That's what caused Rudolph's reaction. Not that it was justified.
It wasn't a late hit. It wasn't called a late hit. There were TWO officials staring right at it. Myles planted his face in Rudolph's numbers and wrapped him up right as Rudolph's arm started going forward. He has no idea where the ball is at that point and continued dragging him down. There was nothing late, no body slam or anything dirty at that point.

I know they didn't call it, just like they didn't call anything on Rudolph grabbing the mask. That hit is called more often than it's not though. I'm not saying Rudolph acted appropriately, but it's not like he just did it for no reason.
It was a legal tackle so no, there was no reason for Rudolph to do what he did. QBs get tackled all the time when they are hit as they are throwing...and Rudolph wasn't even hit that hard! When was the last time you saw a QB try to twist a defender's helmet off and then kick him in the junk after a very tame tackle?
diehard03
Quote:

You're hung up on really strange parts of the story. We are talking about a sports story and you seem to think this is a conversation about human psychology and money. Within the context of sports, "just snapped" makes the most sense because your psychology lessons about human decision making ignores the very real sports consequences of the story - namely that if some single little trigger can cause a top DL to lose his **** and get suspended for a year, then every other team is going to try and say or do that one little trigger thing to get the DL suspended. And since we've never seen this behavior from MG before despite tons of holding and 'dirty' tactics, it isn't really unreasonable to conclude that he 'just snapped' even if, again, you cant properly quantify what that means and find it annoying.

You brought up the money part. I think it's irrelevant....which is why I responded the way I did. You can't ignore that people judge athletes far harsher than others because of their income, however.

I think you've hit on it though...we conclude he "just snapped" because we really don't care to try and figure it out...and it's just so much easier to say he snapped and move on.
texsn95
AG
W
AG
December 1st the rematch.

Browns at Steelers.

currently slated as the CBS 3:25pm kickoff
mike_ags_fan12
I get why he got it (concussions and head injury awareness and all) but Am I alone in thinking Pouncey shouldn't have been suspended by doing what any other person would do?
redag06
I was surprised there were not MORE steelers linemen "protecting their qb" like Pouncey did, wrong or right.
Blindside05
AG
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28086510/mason-rudolph-agent-rule-legal-options-police-not-investigating-myles-garrett

Overreact much?
Iowaggie
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

I get why he got it (concussions and head injury awareness and all) but Am I alone in thinking Pouncey shouldn't have been suspended by doing what any other person would do?

You mean acting with violence when under attack? That's a lesser extent to what MG did.

If Rudolph doesn't do what he does, and just stops when DeCastro has MG separated, MG doesn't swing a helmet at Rudolph, but Rudolph's actions don't justify MG's response.

If MG doesn't do what he does, Pouncey doesn't punch or kick a guy on the ground being held down by DeCastro, but MG's actions don't justify Pouncey's response.

Iowaggie
AG
redag06 said:

I was surprised there were not MORE steelers linemen "protecting their qb" like Pouncey did, wrong or right.

DeCastro had the situation in hand. Why would linemen just want to give money away?

DeCastro was one of the few who did the right thing the whole time, IMO

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
jr15aggie
AG
OK, so, I didn't analyze the video very closely earlier today. But I've seen several close ups and still shots... friggin Rudolph was doing more than just giving Myles the business.

As his big boys were restraining Myles, he kicked him in the balls... and then a second later was on his feet going for the nut punch.

They both lost their cool and neither had restraint. I've changed my stance a bit... Myles deserves his punishment, but hopefully the NFL will show how the actions of both sides will not be tolerated.
W
AG
part of the disappointment or bad luck for the league office...

if this had occurred in an AFC vs. NFC game...then it would be 4 years before the teams played again.

but since it happened in a division game...the teams will play twice a year every year. Plenty of potential for this to blow up again. Especially if Rudolph eventually takes over full-time for Big Ben
aggiepaintrain
AG
The Browns are going to try to decapitate Rudolph in 2 weeks
FJB
Hey...so.. um
I'm perfectly okay with MG getting the suspension he did assuming he is back next year, but Rudolph should get at least 4 games as well. I'm pissed he got nothing and the browns DE that pushed him down, got 1 game.
PooDoo
AG
AG@RICE said:

Ya, Garrett is a terrible human! The Browns should cut him immediately!

(Hope the Texans pick him up)

So they can trade him to the Seahawks?
BMX Bandit
Hey...so.. um said:

I'm perfectly okay with MG getting the suspension he did assuming he is back next year, but Rudolph should get at least 4 games as well. I'm pissed he got nothing and the browns DE that pushed him down, got 1 game.
those suspensions are in line with how NFL punishes fights.
Iowaggie
AG
OJ has been killing it with his commentaries on this situation.

"Hey- you lose it sometimes.."

mike_ags_fan12
Iowaggie said:

OJ has been killing it with his commentaries on this situation.

"Hey- you lose it sometimes.."

I see what you did there
94chem
Rudolph started it. Rudolph tried to pull MG's helmet off first. Rudolph charged Garrett without his helmet, which was stupid. Rudolph acted like a whiny soccer player afterwards. Rudolph is lucky he didn't get his skull cracked, because that's what he deserved for being such a fool. As for Garrett, it should have been 2 games. The NHL is laughing at this whole joke.
Goose83
AG
robcovol said:

In a 1985 preseason game between Chicago and Dallas, Randy White was ejected for hitting offensive lineman Mark Bortz with another player's helmet. Although it was more of a light tap than a full-fledged hit, White was ejected and, after that, all helmets came with a warning after that saying, among other things, that helmets could not be used as weapons.

Any one out there remember this?
I certainly do, and it was the first thing that came to mind as the Garrett incident was unfolding.

Of course, back then, football players (especially QB's) weren't the dainty flowers that they are today, and things like that were part of the game, so (IIRC) nobody had a major cow over it. The only fallout I remember was that it enhanced Randy White's reputation as a badass who was not to be fugged with.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.