Surprised by Myles Garrett

5,903 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Goose83
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?

In his defense it looks like mason was trying to stick his hands in his face mask, but I'm still surprised at Garrett.
ElephantRider
AG
Trash
Frok
AG
It reminds me of Happy Gilmore. "I was the first guy to take off my skate and try to stab someone with it". vs "I was the first guy to rip off the QB's helmet and hit him with it"
Ag_07
AG
There is nothing to say to defend that. Not of this 'In his defense...'

Myles has a track record of on-field shenanigans this year and this goes right along with it.

The first one maybe two times I can say 'Oh well he lost his cool in the heat of competition' but this is a reoccurring issue. The apologizing does nothing for me now.

Myles has now opened himself up to be lumped in with the likes of Ndamukong Suh. Great players that play mean and dirty.
redag06
Have the Browns taken the place of the Bengals as the leagues dirtiest team?
Iowaggie
AG
Garrett is the new Vontaze Burfict. All his future actions will be judged with the helmet swing in mind.
AG@RICE
AG
Ya, Garrett is a terrible human! The Browns should cut him immediately!

(Hope the Texans pick him up)
MooreTrucker
AG
Yep, Rudolph initiated it but it's nevertheless inexcusable to escalate it to that level.

MG needs to step up and take what he's going to get and realize he's forever marked by this.
Bunk Moreland
Frok said:

It reminds me of Happy Gilmore. "I was the first guy to take off my skate and try to stab someone with it". vs "I was the first guy to rip off the QB's helmet and hit him with it"

Haha. That's exactly what I thought of last night too.

"I played in the NFL in my 20's and I still hold 2 league records. I was held more than anyone else & I'm the only guy to take off a helmet and try and hit somebody"
MS08
AG
Really disappointing. Inexcusable. Be better, be way better.
robcovol
In a 1985 preseason game between Chicago and Dallas, Randy White was ejected for hitting offensive lineman Mark Bortz with another player's helmet. Although it was more of a light tap than a full-fledged hit, White was ejected and, after that, all helmets came with a warning after that saying, among other things, that helmets could not be used as weapons.

Any one out there remember this?
mike_ags_fan12
He's done for the season. I actually that he was a genuine player.

Maybe Mason was being a little punk. That doesn't justify a windmill helmet shot to the head. A simple point and "look at the scoreboard" would have been fine for Myles.

Also, I'm Really surprised by the Myles supporters in the A&M football forum.
case04
AG
Hard to defend those actions. Tread lightly around the water cooler today boys.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's had a trash year discipline-wise, and sadly, 3 years into his career, this is his only signature moment to be remembered by since he's either been hurt and/or the team has sucked the whole time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
redag06 said:

Have the Browns taken the place of the Bengals as the leagues dirtiest team?
They were sure trying hard last night. Some really ugly, dirty plays beyond this.
Bregxit
AG
robcovol said:

In a 1985 preseason game between Chicago and Dallas, Randy White was ejected for hitting offensive lineman Mark Bortz with another player's helmet. Although it was more of a light tap than a full-fledged hit, White was ejected and, after that, all helmets came with a warning after that saying, among other things, that helmets could not be used as weapons.

The rule was put in place in 1982 when Lyle Alzado ripped Chris Ward's helmet off and threw it at him. Since there was no rule in place Alzado received a 15 yard UC penalty. Going forward with the new "Alzado rule" you get ejected, hence Randy White getting tossed.
robcovol
Bregxit said:

robcovol said:

The rule was put in place in 1982 when Lyle Alzado ripped Chris Ward's helmet off and threw it at him. Since there was no rule in place Alzado received a 15 yard UC penalty. Going forward with the new "Alzado rule" you get ejected, hence Randy White getting tossed.
I knew there was a helmet incident prior to the Bears-Cowboys game, but I could not remember when. From what I remember, the Alzado-Ward episode was pretty ugly, and could have had some bad outcomes. I have been trying to find a clip of the Randy White ejection, but no luck yet.
diehard03
I think he should bear the full brunt of the consequences of his actions.

And, I want to know what Rudolph said to him, because he goes from zero to lunatic pretty quickly in a situation that didn't call for it. He's a back up QB that threw 4 picks and you sat on his head all game.
jr15aggie
AG
The two absolute best A&M players in recent years without question are Myles & Johnny. Ouch, thanks for representing fellas!

We still love you Von & Mike Evans, or am I forgetting incidents they may have had.
MooreTrucker
AG
jr15aggie said:

The two absolute best A&M players in recent years without question are Myles & Johnny. Ouch, thanks for representing fellas!

We still love you Von & Mike Evans, or am I forgetting incidents they may have had.
Von is as good or better than Myles (this season notwithstanding for whatever reason) and he has been an OUTSTANDING representative of A&M.

And Johnny is just another in a long line of Heisman QB busts in the NFL.
tandy miller
AG
Myles suspended indefinitely, minimum rest of season and playoffs
FamousAgg
tandy miller said:

Probably the punishment he deserved. Hopefully he will use this as a turning point in his career. Definitely a bad reflection on A&M.

At least he isn't beating his girlfriend, as far as we know...
ATM9000
AG
tandy miller said:

Lol... Browns and you said playoffs.
jr15aggie
AG
MooreTrucker said:

jr15aggie said:

Von is as good or better than Myles (this season notwithstanding for whatever reason) and he has been an OUTSTANDING representative of A&M.

To clarify... I worded my post poorly. I wasn't trying to imply Myles is "better" than Von. Von is one of the most accomplished former Aggies in the NFL ever. But he entered the NFL before them. I should have said the last two BIG name guys from A&M have now made major headlines for all the wrong reasons.

BenFiasco14
AG
MooreTrucker said:

jr15aggie said:

Not to mention Von was a super bowl MVP
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jr15aggie
AG
Two observations:

1. It excuses nothing, but Rudolph was definitely giving him the business on the ground. I initially thought Myles' just lost his mind for no reason.

2. Myles is extremely lucky that he hit him with the open part of the helmet... had he gotten him clean with the solid part of the helmet, Rudolph likely crumbles to the ground with a head injury and Myles is most likely going to jail! If Rudolph had gone down this video would look 100x worse... Myles probably never plays again if he had done any real damage.

Be interesting to see what the NFL does here and how long this indefinite ban lasts. Wouldn't be surprised if he has to sit this and next year.

diehard03
Quote:

1. It excuses nothing, but Rudolph was definitely giving him the business on the ground. I initially thought Myles' just lost his mind for no reason.

Why would you assume he just lost his mind for no reason? Clearly something happened. No one's saying that that excuses his actions, but people generally don't have a schizophrenic episode like that.

There is, most likely, perfectly logical reason for his reaction (or at least something we can understand). Will we get it? Probably not.
Blindside05
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Why would you assume he just lost his mind for no reason? Clearly something happened. No one's saying that that excuses his actions, but people generally don't have a schizophrenic episode like that.

There is, most likely, perfectly logical reason for his reaction (or at least something we can understand). Will we get it? Probably not.

Well after rewatching, it appears the reason was Rudolph being a little ***** after he got hit. When on the ground, he started going after Myles' helmet like a rabid cat then when Myles stood up, Rudolph kicked him square in the junk.

Don't know about y'all, but when I have that **** happen to me plus two lineman yanking me around, I might have lost my **** as well
expresswrittenconsent
diehard03 said:

Quote:

People make that assumption because it is the only reason that makes sense. The only reason a millionaire playing a game on TV would stupidly and impulsively risk their career. The kind of helmet ripping fighting happens in every NFL game and practice all time. What doesnt ever happen is a guy swinging a helmet as a weapon into another's head. This is a 'just snapped' moment. Similar to Haynesworths head stomp, to RudyT/Kermit Washington, and similar to the one famous basebrawl out of thousands where the dude swung his bat at the pitcher. Violence within the written and unwritten rules is part of the game. Extreme violence outside of the rules is unusual, unexpected, and is why MG is currently indefinitely suspended.
Scotty Appleton
jr15aggie said:

MooreTrucker said:

jr15aggie said:

To clarify... I worded my post poorly. I wasn't trying to imply Myles is "better" than Von. Von is one of the most accomplished former Aggies in the NFL ever. But he entered the NFL before them. I should have said the last two BIG name guys from A&M have now made major headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Well, you're forgetting the long suspension Von had years back for cheating on his piss test. He was no angel his first few years in the league. Hopefully Myles bounces back, but like Von back then, Myles acted like he was on something last night, or those designer "cocktails" he's taking caused a little rage...
MooreTrucker
AG
jr15aggie said:

MooreTrucker said:

jr15aggie said:

And I agree with that completely....and sadly.
diehard03
Quote:

People make that assumption because it is the only reason that makes sense. The only reason a millionaire playing a game on TV would stupidly and impulsively risk their career. The kind of helmet ripping fighting happens in every NFL game and practice all time. What doesnt ever happen is a guy swinging a helmet as a weapon into another's head. This is a 'just snapped' moment. Similar to Haynesworths head stomp, to RudyT/Kermit Washington, and similar to the one famous basebrawl out of thousands where the dude swung his bat at the pitcher. Violence within the written and unwritten rules is part of the game. Extreme violence outside of the rules is unusual, unexpected, and is why MG is currently indefinitely suspended.

Can we stop with this "millionaire playing a game on TV" nonsense? People risk their jobs all the time doing stupid ***** Football players are humans too. We just have this strange judgement complex because we can't earn what they earn doing what they do.

My point is that something causes someone to snap...it's strange to me if nothing caused him to snap...but, we seem to assume that nothing did.
Bregxit
AG
Blindside05 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Well after rewatching, it appears the reason was Rudolph being a little ***** after he got hit. When on the ground, he started going after Myles' helmet like a rabid cat then when Myles stood up, Rudolph kicked him square in the junk.

Don't know about y'all, but when I have that **** happen to me plus two lineman yanking me around, I might have lost my **** as well
I have no issue with Myles' reaction up to the point he hit him with the helmet. Everything prior in my opinion was two guys going at it with Rudolph appearing to start the whole affair.

That Rudolph is receiving no criticism or punishment IMO is bullcrap. Myles' transgression shouldn't negate Rudolph's.
ORAggieFan
Bregxit said:

Blindside05 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

I have no issue with Myles' reaction up to the point he hit him with the helmet. Everything prior in my opinion was two guys going at it with Rudolph appearing to start the whole affair.

That Rudolph is receiving no criticism or punishment IMO is bullcrap. Myles' transgression shouldn't negate Rudolph's.
You're ignoring what should have been a late hit by Garrett. The ball was long out of his hand. That's what caused Rudolph's reaction. Not that it was justified.
Bregxit
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Bregxit said:

Blindside05 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

You're ignoring what should have been a late hit by Garrett. The ball was long out of his hand. That's what caused Rudolph's reaction. Not that it was justified.
It wasn't a late hit. It wasn't called a late hit. There were TWO officials staring right at it. Myles planted his face in Rudolph's numbers and wrapped him up right as Rudolph's arm started going forward. He has no idea where the ball is at that point and continued dragging him down. There was nothing late, no body slam or anything dirty at that point.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.