**** 2019 Houston Texans Season Thread ****

710,001 Views | 9267 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im at the point where I want the McNairs to sell the team, rename, clean house, and start all over again. It won't happen.
k20dub
AG
bilbobag
Watson is Happy.. Has nothing to do with contract.
Agstro
AG
bilbobag said:

Watson is Happy.. Has nothing to do with contract.

This can only mean that the Hopkins trade is being rescinded and Cal is going to make BOB wear a DUNCE hat all season before firing him after the season.
BCSGrubber
AG
Which WR did we trade too much for
mAgnoliAg
AG
Probably Tunsil extension
BMX Bandit
redag06
Probably paying him 20+ a year.

1 million for every false start.
E
AG
i'd be open to signing Eric Reid
bilbobag
From what I gathered HOP wanted a new contract and if he didn't get it he was going to sit despite new CbA. One thing to keep in mind is the Texans are trying to lock up LT and DW long term.

Part of the HOP trade was to free up money long term and why the Texans didn't design DJ also.

Don't get me wrong the HOP/OB situation wasn't good and what we got back in return for HoP was awful.

LT will sign shortly.

As far as Watson, Dak getting done first is the key, then that will set the bar for Watson's negotiations. When Dak gets a deal, things will move. This was a change as I believed he would wait for Mahommes.
bilbobag
Hop wanted $25-$27 million per year
BMX Bandit
bilbobag said:

Hop wanted $25-$27 million per year

and would have taken much much less
Panama Red
AG
E said:

i'd be open to signing Eric Reid

The Ed Reed "let's sign an old guy that was good 3 year ago" plan
bilbobag
Arizona was the only team wanting to rework the HOP deal.

The Eagles backed out a deal due to Hopkins wanting a new contract when he had 3 years left on his deal, his current rate of pay and wanting a big adjustment, raise.
JCA1
AG
There is no way Hop would actually sit out 3 years.

And if this is just about money, he's still under the same contract so he should be doing the same thing in Arizona. Anybody want to bet on whether he misses the first game?
bilbobag
???

Hop wasn't taking any less than $25-$27 mill a year to stay
bilbobag
No he wouldn't have but as a team you would have traded him.
mAgnoliAg
AG
bilbobag said:

???

Especially with BOB doing the negotiations. Getting him down to 20 a year would've been insurmountable for BOB
bilbobag
Also thing the announcement of LT deal will be delayed due to the star of the world unless it leaks.
BMX Bandit
bilbobag said:

???

You are now pushing the Texans spin.

He wouldn't sit out the season. You know that.

Please don't try to justify this garbage decision
bilbobag
LT and DW combined contracts will be in the $250-$300M range with over 100M guaranteed. Watson is going to get the bulk of it.
bilbobag
Dude take your **** elsewhere. I am sick of it.

I am not spinning anything. I am giving you the facts from both sides something rarely done these days.

Read what I said directly after it. Doesn't mean I was happy with it nor was the return good.
BMX Bandit
Calm down dude.

I don't mean to claim you like it. I know you were close to him and hated this more than probably anyone.

But you are pushing that Hopkins would not play if he didn't get $25mm. You know that's not how it would play out.

This was clearly about OB not getting along with him. The salary of Johnson & Cobb shows this wasn't a money thing
bilbobag
We will agree to disagree.

I know for a fact what Hop wanted. I know what the contract of LT and Watson will look like.

To compare the players the Texans signed to a new Hop, LT, and Watson deals isn't on the same level. That's where I think the reasoning is flawed.

I am out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just don't get how you let a guy with 3 years left on his contract lead you around on a leash like that. Was he going to sit out the next 3 years? He'd be more damaged goods than Antonio Brown if he did that. Three years from now he'll be about to turn 31 and it would be totally justifiable to let him walk to wherever he wants and believe it's time to start over with someone new.

I never though I'd have to endure a franchise stupider than the Oilers under the procession of Bud Adams, Ladd Herzeg, Glanville and Jack Pardee but it appears that's what's happening now. Cal McNair literally said this to people who he knew were recording him

"And I would think, as a fan, I would be really excited that your leadership of the team can make bold moves and go out and do these things to make the team better."

God bless, that might be the stupidest thing ever said by a billionaire outside of Donald Sterling.

Looking forward to August to root for my new team, the Arizona Cardinals. 18 years of rooting for the Texans has burned me out.
HotardAg07
AG
The new cba would have prevented Hop from holding out for any length of time. BOB is still butt hurt from the Duane Brown situation and too stupid to understand the new realities of the CBA. And he's too much of an ******* to keep friendly relationships with his star players. **** him and the horse he rode in on. I will not spend benefitting Cal Smith until he pulls his head out of his ass and fires that ****ing dimple faced dumbass. **** you too mother ****er.
JCA1
AG
No way he gives up the $30+ million he is currently set to make over the next 3 years to try and force a new deal. He can say he would have and I'm sure that's what he's telling bilbo. Hell, Hop might even believe it himself right now. But it would never happen. Leveon Bell is one of the only guys to try (and that was only 1 year), and everyone saw how that worked out for him.

But for the sake of argument, let's walk through this and assume he refuses to play under his current deal. How exactly is he going to command $25 mill as a 31 year old disgruntled WR who hasn't played football in 3 years?
Mathguy64
AG
This is all an example of why a HC shouldn't be GM. Your GM needs to have distance from players to run the business in the best interest of the team. Your HC is too close to players to make balanced and sometimes cold decisions.
zooguy96
Especially when your HC is a dumbass.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Bryan98
AG
It's hard to imagine BoB ever being hired by anyone again. Imagine how little the league respects him now; he put himself in clown shoes.

Of course, he may have this job for life... =(
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
bilbobag said:

From what I gathered HOP wanted a new contract and if he didn't get it he was going to sit despite new CbA. One thing to keep in mind is the Texans are trying to lock up LT and DW long term.

Part of the HOP trade was to free up money long term and why the Texans didn't design DJ also.

Don't get me wrong the HOP/OB situation wasn't good and what we got back in return for HoP was awful.

LT will sign shortly.

As far as Watson, Dak getting done first is the key, then that will set the bar for Watson's negotiations. When Dak gets a deal, things will move. This was a change as I believed he would wait for Mahommes.
There is NFW that Hopkins would sit for 3 years. End of story.
TexAgs1992
HotardAg07 said:

The new cba would have prevented Hop from holding out for any length of time. BOB is still butt hurt from the Duane Brown situation and too stupid to understand the new realities of the CBA. And he's too much of an ******* to keep friendly relationships with his star players. **** him and the horse he rode in on. I will not spend benefitting Cal Smith until he pulls his head out of his ass and fires that ****ing dimple faced dumbass. **** you too mother ****er.
This. Did OB ever read the new CBA prior to the trade? Everything I've heard is that it would severely punish the players for sitting out.
AG@RICE
AG
Bilbo's post seems like the truth. The order of events seems painfully obvious:

1) Hop is drafted and becomes a really good wideout
2) Hop signs his first contract extension at 12.5 million for 5 seasons. He definitely thinks he is worth more, but he is pinched in the negotiation because Texans have leverage. I'm sure they tell him that "if you out play this contract, you will get a new one".
3) Hop starts outplaying his contract. In 2017 he has more touchdowns than any point in his career, in 2018 he has more yards.
4) In 2019 BOB starts his hostile takeover on the Texans. He redesigns the offense again...and he puts less emphasis on Hop as a big play receiver and asks him to be a possession receiver. Hop's numbers decline AND the offense is clearly worse. DeAndre speaks up.
5) BOB feels threatened and has the "Aaron Hernandez/Baby Mama" conversation with Hop
6) Hop, like any normal human being, says...."screw you, I want more money or I'm not playing for your ass". His motivation may be purely monetarily, but I think he just wants out at this point. He knows he can't get another big payday under BOB because he will not be used as a big play receiver any more. That being said, BOB is skeptical and thinks he might be able to get Hopkins to play anyways....until Hop clarifies his demand that he will not even accept a trade to anyone now willing to redo his contract. In reality, this was Hop ensuring that BOB took his demands seriously.
7) Hop is in Az, he may not get a contract extension but he will still play. He will bet on himself for a new contract with a team that might actually allow him to be a more big play receiver (more yards, more TDs, more money...). In return, BOB got a player who won't question his offensive play calling and is just happy to have a job.

Great leaders find a way to get talented and hungry personalities to stay focused on a team concept. BOB lacks that ability. He wants to be the only star on the team and consequently he will drive away any player that wants to be individually acknowledged. Unfortunately, in sports the majority of hall of fame players will have this desire. Individual greatness is rarely packaged with unlimited humility.

BOB's attitude and ego led to this situation. He wants to be like the Pats, where the team concept comes first, but he forgets that Belicheck gets extremely talented divas to play for him. BOB lacks that social ability and we should have seen it coming from the beginning. When BOB was hired, ESPN kept playing that video of him and Brady getting into a shouting match. It was used to demonstrate his passion for the game. In retrospect, had BOB been the head coach of the Pats, he would have just melted their entire dynasty to the ground when Brady would have asked for a trade. Instead, BOB moved on and the Pats continued to win without him.....because great players win football games not arrogant coaches.
zooguy96
Bob would first have to be a good HC and have an offensive system that plays to the strengths of his players (which he doesn't), and then be able to be be a halfway competent general manager, which again, he isn't. The team wins in spite of him, not because of his. That will be greatly decided without Nuke. BOB is an abortion of a coach and general manager. Absolutely horrid. He can't hold Belicheck's jock.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
bilbobag
I never said he would sit for 3 years. Yes he had three years left but he was willing to sit next year. After that, don't you think he would be traded?

There is no way he sits three years but there was no way he was playing for OB nor would have the Texans sat on him for 3 years
First Page Last Page
Page 243 of 265

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.