**** 2019 Houston Texans Season Thread ****

711,844 Views | 9267 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
MelvinUdall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

Yeah it would considering be could get $140MM from someone else and get out from under BoB.

True, but it wouldn't technically be for another 4 years, so he would risk a career threatening injury and not take the money? If that is the case then he isn't as smart as I thought .
Ags #1
AG
Meaning watson wants more money??
bdgol07
AG
I would think that it is likely more along the lines of one of them wants to sign soon and secure money and the other wants to wait until after Mahomes resigns to have a bargaining chip
Ags #1
AG
that makes sense. THanks.
bilbobag
I am posting this just as reminder of what it felt like not to have 6 years of football in Houston.

I still remember every emotion that ran through my bones that night. It was a great night. That night was especially important to me as I watched with my dad who reminded my don't take things for granted. Football was the world to my dad and besides having kids and marrying my mom, this night was in his top 5.

While right now I know the franchise looks like it's spinning out of control but it will change. Be patient.

I leave you with this, watch it even if you fast forwarded it.

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/full-game-2002-week-1-cowboys-vs-texans-nfl-game-pass
bearkatag15
AG

Bill's burner account?
WES2006AG
AG
Bill seems exactly like the kinds of petty insecure guy who would have a burner.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

The people who are actually in the building like the coaching staff and front office are all on the same page,

That's what has people worried

And why would anyone believe the spinning out of control will get better?
. . .
Ags #1
AG
Who wouldn't pick playing for Harbaugh over bob
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Why isn't there a 2020 thread by now?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Because a 2020 season is not guaranteed yet?
LilSebastian13
AG
AG@RICE
AG
LilSebastian13 said:

The end of that video really hits on a big issue. BOB is trying to be good cop AND bad cop.

He is basically threatening individuals, leaving the room, and then walking back in and putting his hand on the guys shoulders and talking about family.

Idiot.
Snake Jazz
I was a season ticket holder back when the franchise began...being there for that first game when we upset Dallas was one of the greatest moments ever a sports fan. I eventually gave up the tickets because I just didn't have the time to commit to going to that many games, but I've been a loyal fan since the beginning.

I can't watch this s**t show anymore. O'Brien is a mediocre head coach, and an absolute joke as a GM. His personnel decisions over the past year have decimated this franchise and set it back several years. The only decision he has made that I've agreed with was the Tunsil deal, simply because they were so desperate at offensive line and you had to find a way to protect Watson. They overpaid, but I understood why they overpaid.

The Clowney and Hopkins deals are just obscenely bad. So incredibly lopsided. You know that both Seattle and Arizona hung up the phone and laughed hysterically after completing those deals. Those are two legitimate elite players in the NFL that were given away for pennies on the dollar. I'm not opposed to trading any particular player as long as the return is worthwhile. Both returns in those trades were laughable. How do you trade Clowney and Hopkins and not get ONE first-round draft pick coming back? It's front office malpractice.

I'll probably still watch the games on television. I love JJ Watt and DeShaun Watson and I wish them the best personally. But, I have to admit that I hope the team fails dramatically, because apparently that is the only thing that might get O'Brien out of here. This franchise is going nowhere but down as long as O'Brien is here. I hope Hopkins wins the MVP this season in Arizona. I hope we go 5-11. I hope it gets so ugly that even Cal has to see that O'Brien needs to go. It is just amazing to me that ownership has so completely bought in to somebody so bad at their job. O'Brien is just running the organization into the ground, and everybody can see this except the guy who signs the checks.

I think I'm going to be a Saints fan for the time being. Very well run franchise with one of the game's all-time great players and class acts at quarterback. If Cal cans O'Brien and hires a competent GM and a competent HC then I'll jump back on board. But, I can not support such unapologetic incompetence. I will not buy a ticket to a game. I wouldn't go if somebody gave me a ticket. I will not buy merchandise. I will not wear merchandise. The Texans won't get a single penny from me until this embarrassing chapter is over.
. . .
Ross Tucker: Bill O'Brien could already be the worst GM ever
pagerman @ work
AG
Quote:

The Clowney and Hopkins deals are just obscenely bad. So incredibly lopsided.
The Clowney deal was bad, but the Hopkins deal was a hate crime against the fans.
. . .
Snake Jazz
pagerman @ work said:

Quote:

The Clowney deal was bad, but the Hopkins deal was a hate crime against the fans.

I concur. It will go down as one of the two or three worst deals in NFL history. O'Brien will never regain the trust of the fan base after that.
MelvinUdall
Snake Jazz said:

pagerman @ work said:

Quote:

I concur. It will go down as one of the two or three worst deals in NFL history. O'Brien will never regain the trust of the fan base after that.

Yep, in no particular order:

-Hershel Walker trade
-Ricky Williams draft/trade
-Hopkins trade

The Hopkins trade is as bad or worse than the other two.
BMX Bandit
The Hershel trade wasn't anywhere near to top of bad trades. It was great trade for Dallas, but it could also be defended from Minnesota standpoint

The Hopkins trade is indefensible

Gave up an elite talent for nothing Player with a horrible contract and didn't help yourself financially

It really might be worst in any sport ever
JCA1
AG
I would say the Hopkins trade is arguably worse because of the well established precedent for what a WR of his caliber commands.
Texan_Aggie
AG
The only way the Hopkins trade becomes defensible is if he gets injured or fizzles after this year. The likelihood of this happening is very low based on history to date.

I hate the move personally, but I've tried to view it from every angle. Is this, in BoB's twisted mind, a Belicikian type move? Typically they have gotten rid of big name players but for the qb. That said, we're not nearly the destination yet that NE has been for hungry players wanting to win.

The only argument I can make for the Hopkins trade was that the value for the Texans was freed up cap space after this year, presumably to use on Tunsil and Watson. Only works if those guys resign here though, which I'm not convinced either do!
Mathguy64
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

The only way the Hopkins trade becomes defensible is if he gets injured or fizzles after this year. The likelihood of this happening is very low based on history to date

That doesn't make a trade defensible. It's just bad luck for that team with the injury.
MelvinUdall
BMX Bandit said:

The Hershel trade wasn't anywhere near to top of bad trades. It was great trade for Dallas, but it could also be defended from Minnesota standpoint

The Hopkins trade is indefensible

Gave up an elite talent for nothing Player with a horrible contract and didn't help yourself financially

It really might be worst in any sport ever

That is fair on the Walker trade, it was a lot of draft equity given up for what ended up not being the ultimate return on that investment.
. . .
CFTXAG10
AG

Agstro
AG
Cal, I'm really excited that you apparently have a pulse, was questionable there for a while. However, that excitement is short lived because your comment makes it apparent that the brainwaves may not be firing just right. You are completely out of touch with this fanbase if you think that there is any way that any of us are excited about the mess that Bill O'Brien is making of this team with such "bold" moves, the direction of this team, or the quality of his leadership. And still waiting for that "team to be better" part.
pagerman @ work
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Quote:

OB remains the deal was in the best interest in the team not receiving adequate blood flow to his brain.
FIFH
Ags #1
AG
That sums it up. Cal is delusional and the problem. But he wont fire himself. So have to go 2-14 to clean house. Its the only option to get rid of bob. But have no confidence that cal could even make the right hire even if we do. Jokes on us fans
Agstro
AG
And oh yeah, how about finally speaking up at the "bold" hour of 3pm on Friday afternoon...classic weak, spineless Texans move.
zooguy96
Cal and Bob are so weak and spineless. Yeah, a second round pick for the best receiver in the league is the best he could get. A 4-year old could do better.

He's the biggest dumbass in the NFL and it's not close.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Marvin
AG
There is no amount of spinning that can wash away the laughter that ensued from their NFL peers after that trade was announced. None.
ATM9000
AG
pagerman @ work said:

Quote:

The Clowney deal for the circumstances wasn't that bad. The problem is their handling of the contract was such that Clowney had them over a barrel.

It is clear to me that whatever the Texans strategy is for handling contract extensions and raises for players is incredibly broken. Hopkins asks for a raise with 3 seasons left and they pucker.

Get ready for them to botch the Watson extension when the time comes.
Max Power
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texans-considering-eric-reid-after-his-brother-justin-makes-a-pitch-to-bill-obrien-per-report/
First Page Last Page
Page 242 of 265

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.