Ezekiel Elliott plans to hold out

15,739 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by . . .
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dude misses 6 games via suspension, just dodged another suspension, and now is going to hold out.
Dallas should start shopping him immediately.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/15/ezekiel-elliott-has-privately-said-that-hes-planning-a-training-camp-holdout/#comments
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Dallas should start shopping him immediately.
I laughed.
Saint Pablo
Two more years on his deal, what leverage does he have?
jr15aggie
AG
I wouldn't have a huge problem paying Zeke early... but it has to be a VERY fair deal and he's a year early in demanding it.

I totally get him wanting a new contract after this year instead of the Cowboys simply using the 5th year option. But from the Cowboys perspective, that's part of the beauty of 1st round picks, getting that 5th year option when their pick turns into a stud.

So negotiate... forget the 5th year option, make your money a year early, but on your end you have to give the Cowboys a more cap friendly deal.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
dude is the worst.
Old Tom Morris
Holding out 2 years out is crap. I do not see the value in extending him with how disposable RB's are these days. If he wants his money early, then it better be with an enormous haircut in exchange for some security. But you know his ego won't accept that.
J.P. 03
AG
Make him the highest-paid RB in league history and then insert a clause that voids the rest of the contract the next time he gets suspended. Satisfy his ego and protect your cap situation at the same time.
GCP12
AG
Jerry will pay him
ApachePilot
AG
Cowboys are about to start feeling the pain of the salary cap with paying these guys coming out of rookie deals. The window to win is passing by....
ac04
hate it as a fan but i don't blame him. the CBA sucks and the shelf life of a RB is terribly short.
jr15aggie
AG
ac04 said:

hate it as a fan but i don't blame him. the CBA sucks and the shelf life of a RB is terribly short.

Agree the CBA sucks. I appreciate the idea of the salary cap, keeps the league much more competitive and fun, but it definitely hurts the players (especially when the top few guys on each team demand a majority of the available cap).

Like you said, as a RB who's shelf life while being asked to quite literally carry the load, I really don't have much of a problem paying him early... but he has to be willing to make it a team friendly figure if he's getting this hefty bump early!
Southlake
I don't blame Zeke. He's an idiot, but a very skilled idiot who is the focus of the Cowboys offense.

Perfect time for him to hold out. Pray #4 and #19 don't do the same...
Looks like he's leaving the country right before training camp starts. With any luck at all, he'll get arrested somewhere down in Mexico.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/20/as-clock-ticks-for-cowboys-and-ezekiel-elliott-zeke-plans-to-leave-the-country/
LEJ
I'm sure Cowboy management will make the right call.
Panama Red
AG
So to sum it all up, Zeke may or may not hold out, maybe, but not sure.

bonfarr
AG
Wish we had a James Conner on the roster.
Silvertaps
AG
Since he arrived in Dallas, it's always something with Zeke. We're now heading into the 4th season with zeke and already have had multiple off field issues...one suspending him for almost half a season. Yes he's good, and yes he is a VERY important piece in this year's team. Perhaps I'm just tired of this teams multiple and annual off the field player drama by me saying...just let him walk. Knowing this teams luck with undisciplined players, they'd more than likely sign him, then immediately get himself suspended all of next year anyways.
Old Tom Morris
I'm with you on this one. I get where he's coming from as far as the CBA is concerned, but with as much of a sideshow as he's been already, it's become very tiresome. I'm just very leary about hitching a franchise's wagon with a huge deal to a "there's always something" guy like Zeke.

The guy will have made $34 million under his current deal, with that 5th being $9 mill. So in the grand scheme of NFL RB $$$ that they actually collect, he's not exactly been hurting.

The other concerning aspect is that I did think he showed signs of wear and tear last year.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
His running style is absolutely going to wear him down sooner rather than later (imho).

Dallas is in a pretty bad predicament here with his contract. No way I buckle to giving him to a deal any longer than say through 2022 at the most right now.
Old Tom Morris
That's basically where I'm at. Guarantee a chunk of change at a decent level for the next 4 years, but for the most part, the time period covered is what you would have done via playing out the 5 year rookie deal + a franchise tag or two. You are just locking in more of that now.
ApachePilot
AG
I've always felt the cowboys strength was the o-line. Zeke is good but he has benefited from an All Pro O-line. Stick him in Tampa bay and see if he looks decent. The cowboys are assembling some good young talent on D and I just think it's crazy to over pay for RBs these days.
gigem1223
ApachePilot said:

I've always felt the cowboys strength was the o-line. Zeke is good but he has benefited from an All Pro O-line. Stick him in Tampa bay and see if he looks decent. The cowboys are assembling some good young talent on D and I just think it's crazy to over pay for RBs these days.

Last years O-line was far from "all pro". Joe Looney was your starting center all season, Zach Martin and Tyron Smith we're battling injuries all season, and Xavier Sua-Filo along with an undersized Connor Williams platooned at LG.

It seems Zeke is getting the Emmitt treatment amongst many fans (underrated because of a good OL). He put up over 2000 yds of production last season with a coordinator who was about as predictable as it gets and an offense that struggled to stretch the field for the majority of the year. Zeke is not just good, he's elite.
ApachePilot
AG
You have a point.
bonfarr
AG
gigem1223 said:

ApachePilot said:

Last years O-line was far from "all pro". Joe Looney was your starting center all season, Zach Martin and Tyron Smith we're battling injuries all season, and Xavier Sua-Filo along with an undersized Connor Williams platooned at LG.

It seems Zeke is getting the Emmitt treatment amongst many fans (underrated because of a good OL). He put up over 2000 yds of production last season with a coordinator who was about as predictable as it gets and an offense that struggled to stretch the field for the majority of the year. Zeke is not just good, he's elite.

My problem about Zeke is you can't trust him since he is a knucklehead. I see him getting a huge deal with upfront guaranteed money then pulling some stupid nightclub crap. He is an immature idiot and needs to prove he can stay out of trouble.

Ag12thman
AG
Yep - I'm no longer an Elliott fan. Wish they'd ship him out at this point.
gigem1223
Ag12thman said:

Ship your best player who has yet to even sit out a single practice?
Silvertaps
AG
gigem1223 said:

Ag12thman said:

Ship your best player who has yet to even sit out a single practice?

Yes...and I think he stated this with the assumption he'll sit out.
Ag12thman
AG
Silvertaps said:

Since he arrived in Dallas, it's always something with Zeke. We're now heading into the 4th season with zeke and already have had multiple off field issues...one suspending him for almost half a season. Yes he's good, and yes he is a VERY important piece in this year's team. Perhaps I'm just tired of this teams multiple and annual off the field player drama by me saying...just let him walk. Knowing this teams luck with undisciplined players, they'd more than likely sign him, then immediately get himself suspended all of next year anyways.
gigem1223
You guys are nuts. Hate a man for trying to get paid when he's been your bell cow and mvp for the past 3 seasons. The only suspension he's had was for an allegation pre-nfl and never missed a game to injury, despite getting a ridiculous amount of touches. Zeke and his agent know the shelf life of RBs in the NFL, especially those that get 300+ touches/ year. This team is an average team at best without Zeke and his camp knows it.
Silvertaps
AG
He's made the ESPN headlines negatively pretty much every season since being in Dallas (among others on this team). Perhaps I'm just burnt out on this narrative, but him now wanting to get paid and threatening to sit out after all his drama makes me not give a sh*t.
Ag12thman
AG
You're not alone!
We saw how the LeVeon Bell thing worked out. Zeke should instruct his agent to start calling the agents of his teammates and ask who's willing to take a pay cut so he can take a bigger share of the salary cap.
PatAg
AG
I'm still unclear how pro athletes can just sit out without being in breach of their contracts
ac04
they don't get paid when they sit.
BMX Bandit
PatAg said:

I'm still unclear how pro athletes can just sit out without being in breach of their contracts
they are in breach of their contract.

and the contract spells out the penalty for that breach.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.