Best Ball Drafts

1,399 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ranger222
Ranger222
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else entering into best ball contests, getting ready for the upcoming NFL season?

For those that might be unfamiliar, best ball leagues are NFL fantasy leagues where everyone drafts like normal, but then that is it. No waiver wires, no lineup setting. The best scores from each position are calculated each week from your drafted players to make up your weekly score. For example, you draft 6 running backs and the 2 best scores out of those 6 players are used for your team that week. Highest cumulative score at the end of the season wins. My favorite thing about fantasy football is the drafting, so this is great for me. I draft and never think about it again until January when I check to see how I did. Gets me exposure to players I would probably not pick in my big season long leagues and I can play around with draft strategy. I have been drafting since right after the NFL Draft, so its been interesting to see how a given player's 'stock' has changed with little tidbits coming out of minicamps, etc. I am playing on draft.com, usually do the 10 person fast draft.

From the early going, it does seem like once again you want an early pick this year. I have had ~10 drafts so far, and have been between 5-10 in the first round for all of them. Have had 3 consecutive drafts where I've picked at the turn in the 10th slot which kinda sucks. However, I would really want either the 1st or 2nd pick of the draft. The optimal start, in my opinion, seems to be Barkely/McCaffery/Elliot with the 1st pick, come back with Cook/Chubb/Damien Williams with the 2nd and hopefully nab either Ertz or Kittle at TE in the 3rd round. The biggest mysteries so far seem to be at RB and TE. WR and QB are deep, especially with only 10 teams drafting. The RB situations are up in the air until training camp and preseason games, so nabbing RBs with solid roles and that don't have an injury history is a premium. TE is also murky after you get past the top three TEs and after the Hunter Henry/Jared Cook range. You don't want to be the last one picking a TE.

Hopefully some other people are interested and we can talk strategy
Saint Pablo
This sounds incredibly interesting to me. Do teams have more roster spots than standard FF that utilize a waiver wire?? Are there weekly matchups or is the victor determined by highest PF? What websites offer these kind of leagues?

*Edited to add questions
Ranger222
AG
So I strictly play on Draft.com that is a daily fantasy website but also offers these best ball leagues. In their system, the draft is 18 rounds and focused on the following lineup --

1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1TE

9 bench players

Highest scores at each position is what is used to construct your team "weekly", however the highest cumulative score (weeks 1-16, not sure 17 is counted but will look) is the winner of the league.

Other best ball leagues may have different rules and offer weekly matchups.
Saint Pablo
Do you have any openings in your league?
ac04
there are openings available basically 24/7
Ranger222
AG
Yeah the drafts start as soon as 10-12 people have entered (based on the league). So you can enter and play at anytime.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.