Wall Street Journal says that Kaepernick and Reid were paid less than $10 million

2,258 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Macarthur
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, the NFL stars who alleged the league's teams colluded to keep them off the field after they led protests during the national anthem, will receive less than $10 million to settle grievances with the league, according to people briefed on the deal.

The confidential agreement was widely celebrated as a victory for the players. But the settlement is far less than the tens of millions of dollars Mr. Kaepernick, especially, would have likely been owed if his grievance had prevailed. It couldn't be determined how the payment is divided between the players and how much they will net after legal fees.

So the next question is, who leaked the data from the confidential agreement?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-paid-under-10-million-to-settle-colin-kaepernick-grievance-11553192288?mod=hp_lead_pos6
Dad
AG
Is that tax free money?
IrishAg
aggie-master said:

Is that tax free money?
I doubt it
J. Walter Weatherman
If true, I guess that shows just how much of a case he had.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Not tax free, and has to spit it with Reid, and then the attorneys get their pound of flesh.
ironmanag
AG
When it came to light that at least 5 NFL teams tried to sign him and he refused the contracts, that kind of killed his case.

He then took the hush money because he had no other choice.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Macarthur
ironmanag said:

When it came to light that at least 5 NFL teams tried to sign him and he refused the contracts, that kind of killed his case.

He then took the hush money because he had no other choice.
Can you provide a source for this? I keep reading this and I don't think it's entirely true.

He did refuse a trade offer that would have cut his salary in half, but he's certainly not the first to do something like this.

Beyond the Elway deal, i can't find confirmation that he turned down a contract offer in the NFL.
Agristotle
AG
I think the Ravens offered and then his girlfriend called the owner a plantation slave owner so that offer got pulled
Macarthur
So, there is no confirmation of him turning down a contract.
IrishAg
Agristotle said:

I think the Ravens offered and then his girlfriend called the owner a plantation slave owner so that offer got pulled
Yup, saw an interview with Ray Lewis where he had fought and got Ozzie Newsome to give Kaepernick a chance, then the girlfriend attacked (probably because she realized him singing a contract wouldn't be good for the narrative) both the owner and Ray Lewis alluding to slave owner and other various things and that opportunity died quick and fast.
Bunk Moreland
Macarthur said:

Per an article back then...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-reportedly-wants-9-10-million-per-year-and-a-chance-to-start/
Quote:

Further, we know from multiple sources that Kaepernick isn't just looking for any job. Two people to whom I spoke last week say he's looking for a place that offers him a chance to compete for a starting job and a salary befitting a high-end backup quarterback or a low-end starter. Think something like $9 million to $10 million.

He created a scenario by which no team would officially offer a contract because of his demands, and then played off that narrative by crying that no team would sign him.
Macarthur
Bunk Moreland said:

Macarthur said:

Per an article back then...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-reportedly-wants-9-10-million-per-year-and-a-chance-to-start/
Quote:

Further, we know from multiple sources that Kaepernick isn't just looking for any job. Two people to whom I spoke last week say he's looking for a place that offers him a chance to compete for a starting job and a salary befitting a high-end backup quarterback or a low-end starter. Think something like $9 million to $10 million.

He created a scenario by which no team would officially offer a contract because of his demands, and then played off that narrative by crying that no team would sign him.
Fair enough. I think it's quite clear Kap overplayed his hand, but I still think this is not quite the same narrative that some have pushed that 5 or more teams tried to sign him and he refused.
Hey...so.. um
I believe 5 or 6 teams probably reached out to his agent and then either asked if he would take significantly less or walked after they heard his asking price, but whether it was an official offer or testing the waters i would bet his agent took a few phone calls.
Macarthur
There's def a possiblity that happened, but we clearly don't know and my point was I don't like the discussion point being thrown out as fact that he turned down multiple offers.

We don't know that, for sure, and it's being presented that way as to further some folks framing of this in some sort of political light.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.