Julian Edelman vs Lance Armstrong

5,380 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
JimInBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As we all know Julian Edelman won the SB MVP despite being suspended the first 4 games of the season for PED usage.

I don't have to make much of a stretch to believe that he's not the only one that played Sunday that has a history with steroids, whether they've been caught or not. . I'm assuming, right or wrong, that the majority of players that played Sunday have juiced at some point in their careers.

I contrast that with Lance Armstrong's history. As with Julian, he's competing in a sport that has what many to believe to be a high percentage of participants juicing to some degree.

I just find it a bit comical that the media totally overlooks athlete PED usage in some sports, and this same media destroys athletes in other sports (cycling, track, swimming, etc) who get caught using.

Out of curiosity, does anyone even care about steroids in football? If not, do you care about usage in other sports? Genuinely interested in what people think.
Bunk Moreland
No I don't care about steroids in football. Mostly because of the gladiator nature of the sport and that most of the time guys are pushing the limits with PEDvs so they can recover quicker, stay healthy and strong through the season and the toll it takes. Factor that in with ridiculous things like Thursday night football coming off the heels of a Sunday game and I understand it even more.

Lance was blood doping in an individual sport that is purely about endurance and ability to overcome it.

And to be honest, if he admitted it instead of trying to ruin people's lives for years just for the sake of his own lie then people would care a lot less.

But as it is.. Football is probably the only sport where I just don't care even though I know it's hypocrital in some ways.
expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

And to be honest, if he admitted it instead of trying to ruin people's lives for years just for the sake of his own lie then people would care a lot less.

People hate Lance Armstrong because of the above. Doping is accepted across all sports (by the majority of fans).
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Armstrong tried to ruin people's lives and careers in order to shield his cheating.

**** that guy all to hell.
BMX Bandit
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Armstrong tried to ruin people's lives and careers in order to shield his cheating.

**** that guy all to hell.
this times 1000.

I don't care that Armstrong used PEDs. But he is a horrible human being
JW
AG
PEDs matter more in the timed sports.

Less so in the points sports, with baseball being the big exception.
03_Aggie
I probably shouldn't care but it bothers me. Mostly because they use them to try and get a leg up on others in order to make millions of dollars.
Harry Dunne
I think most professional athletes in strength & speed sports are using PEDs. At the highest levels, they are all immensely skilled. PEDs provide an enormous advantage. It doesn't stand to reason that we know for certain that some athletes are using them, yet other supposedly "clean" athletes' performance is far superior.

With Edelman in particular, is it really surprising at all? Look at the example that organization is setting. Also he's a good example of a guy who without steroids would probably be a role player and might not be in the league at all. As much as those guys get paid and as much as most of us love sports and wish we could be in his shoes, I think many empathize with him and don't really hold it against him.
WES2006AG
AG
I had forgotten that Edelmann missed time for PED's this season. They should do what baseball does and make you ineligible for postseason play if you serve a PED suspension during that season.

And as far as Lance he got his rough treatment for acting like an ******* as well as for doping as many on this thread have already pointed out.
expresswrittenconsent
Weird photo sequence.
W
AG
yes, Edelman has basically gotten a free pass
PooDoo
AG
I've never seen Edelman ride a bike.
alvtimes
W said:

Has Edelman gotten more of a pass than the 25 other players suspended for PED's in last couple of years?
WES2006AG
AG
Alvarado Times said:

W said:

Has Edelman gotten more of a pass than the 25 other players suspended for PED's in last couple of years?
Yes, he was allowed to play in the playoffs and win SB MVP. League should have never let that happen.
alvtimes
WES2006AG said:

Alvarado Times said:

W said:

Yes, he was allowed to play in the playoffs and win SB MVP. League should have never let that happen.

I believe 3 other PED suspended players were allowed to participate in NFL playoffs.
Max Power
AG
Who cares if some guys are taking PEDs and some aren't? There are legit freaks of nature that aren't playing on the same plain as other guys to begin with. I think one of the biggest issues a guy like Josh Gordon has battled is he has always had such natural ability he doesn't have to try to be at the professional level. Guys like Edelman are still putting in the work, I agree that PEDs are more about staying on the field, than getting there in the first place.

An entire season of NFL football has to be one of the most physically difficult feats a person can complete regardless of whether they play QB, the line, WR, RB, secondary, etc. This goes both ways, think if you're a 5'10" CB and you're lining up against guys like Mike Evans. Or a slot WR that runs through the middle of the field and can get hit by LBs or a monster safety. There are always going to be guys that don't need help, and there are going to be guys doing everything they can to gain an edge.

The NFL doesn't bat an eye at guys injecting narcotics so they can play because they can't feel pain anymore, that to me is worse. Doctors putting drugs into them that allow them to push through one injury only to potentially do more harm in the long run. But yet they test positive for weed, which is way less dangerous than what they can get from a doctor, and they get suspended. It's a league of hypocrisy.
Hey...so.. um
Cortisone is one of the most over abused drugs in sports. No doctor who gives you these shots tells you that you will continue to injure yourself, but that you just won't feel it. At the NFL level, these guys should be able to make that choice for themselves, but in high school and college, you shouldn't be able to continue playing, practicing after cortisone injections.

I have no problem with edleman playing after testing positive. The NFL has such a broad spectrum for "drugs" they test for. As a fan, i would love some clarity, but neither players, nor the league really want to talk about it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Controversial opinion upcoming, but I think these guys should be allowed to do PEDs. These guys put their bodies through hell and they can be beneficial to recovery. I think it would be healthier to bring it into the light and have it done under a legit doc supervision. Most of the issues that come with PEDs are due to excessive/inappropriate use.
AG
I'm more pissed off at Lance Armstrong because we didn't have an abundance of cyclists in the suburbs until he came onto the scene. Asshats taking up a one lane road in their jump suits. The *******.
AgsMyDude
AG
Hold on

Are you insinuating that bikers don't use roids?

"[Since 1968] 14 of the 25 most recent winners (56%) have either failed tests or have confessed to have used doping."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_at_the_Tour_de_France#Lance_Armstrong
JimInBCS
Who are you addressing?

And BTW, thanks all for the replies.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Did Julian Edelman raise hundreds of millions for cancer research?

How does Jeff Bagwell get in the hall of fame but Barry Bonds Sammy Sosa and mark Mcguire don't?

And btw cycling is a team sport
LEJ
Riding a bicycle is hard and challenging, esp when you're a 1 nutted fraud.
mshipp88
Yeah, blood doping is at least 100% different from roids.

Also, not a Lance fan but think the hypocrisy goes every which way in professional cycling. Everyone has doped and denied since well before the fiasco in 1999 at the Giro. It's basically tradition to cheat in things Formula 1 and professional cycling. I see Lance as a net positive. Don't care that he is a dick head and likely remains the greatest modern tour de France cyclist
to ever live. People that think 'cheating' was the key to his success... Do not understand the sport.
MookieBlaylock said:

No, but he also didn't try to ruin the lives of half a dozen people.

BarryProfit
PEDs does not necessarily mean he was using steroids.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

MookieBlaylock said:

No, but he also didn't try to ruin the lives of half a dozen people.

You mean amazing people like Floyd Landis that got busted and tried to save himself by blaming Armstrong?

That is just like Kobe when accused of raping a girl saying yeah but Shaq cheats on his wife

Dude did what every single cyclist did and he defended himself but didn't ruin any ones life

Yes he is an ahole but to deny what he accomplished after being seconds from death is obtuse

How about Greg LeMond, Tyler Hamilton, Iban Mayo, Fillipo Simineoni, Christophe Bassons, Prentice Steffen, Jonathan Vaughters, George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer?

He's tried to intimidate anyone who tried to get to the facts of his doping, and he tried to create an environment where other dopers where caught and penalized while he continued to dope, in an effort to continue to dominate the sport.

He is the most despicable type of human being, and there is a reason he was stripped of 7 yellow jersies and had to sell his mega mansion in Austin.

The fact that he went after the LeMonds and Frankie and Betsy Andreau is reprehensible. Armstrong remains an unrepentant, life-ruining ******* and deserved much worse than he got.

As far as LiveStrong, they contribute almost nothing to cancer research, it's a big mirage. They have a cute marketing campain aimed at "cancer awareness" and "survivorship", without actually donating to the hard science of research.

http://fraudbytes.blogspot.com/2012/01/lance-armstrong-investigation.html

At least those yellow bracelets are cute.
The Lost
DannyDuberstein said:

Controversial opinion upcoming, but I think these guys should be allowed to do PEDs. These guys put their bodies through hell and they can be beneficial to recovery. I think it would be healthier to bring it into the light and have it done under a legit doc supervision. Most of the issues that come with PEDs are due to excessive/inappropriate use.
I think we'd need a definition of PED vs Steroid. I'd be ok with a known list of things guys can take. The danger in this would be the r&d and drugs pushed on guys without really knowing long term health risk. So i'd be ok with it up to a reasonable extent. Just don't turn them into lab rats.
claym711
AG
The Armstrong hate is comical. One of the best athletes to ever live. People love to hate the best.

Whatever athlete you idolize, they likely all have consumed PEDs and done some really ****ty things in their lives.
WES2006AG
AG
claym711 said:

One of the best athletes to ever live.

Let's not get carried away, it's still bicycling.
expresswrittenconsent
claym711 said:

The Armstrong hate is comical. One of the best athletes to ever live. People love to hate the best.

Whatever athlete you idolize, they likely all have consumed PEDs and done some really ****ty things in their lives.

Except none of the hate for lance comes from his doping. Do they make PEDs for improving logic and reading comprehension?
redag06
You don't know much about Armstrong if you don't understand the hate for him.
claym711
AG
How many people would give a **** about him if he was mediocre? Hate for him is absolutely because he was the best, and doped. When people started to figure out that everyone dopes, the argument changed to, 'well he's an *******'. Yawn.
expresswrittenconsent
claym711 said:

How many people would give a **** about him if he was mediocre? Hate for him is absolutely because he was the best, and doped. When people started to figure out that everyone dopes, the argument changed to, 'well he's an *******'. Yawn.

100% false. This country and especially Texans loved him and didnt care about what some French agencies said.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.