Could Romo be the best color guy of our time?

5,859 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Seven Costanza
diehard03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Like Romo, but I don't think he was ready to call the defensive battle that unfolded. Not his element.

I think accurately described the situation several times...that the offenses struggled. I don't think it was really the defensive powerhouse everyone thinks it is based on the score. There was some under-performance on display last night.
Jason Ag
AG
Don't get me wrong I'm a fan, not saying hid did a bad job. He's at his best breaking down offensive plays, which there wasn't much variety with the way the defenses were playing. His explanation about going for the hail Mary early when the pats were still in their normal defense was spot on. They even showed belichick yelling for the defense to get back.
. . .
ESPN Prepared To Make Tony Romo Highest-Paid Sportscaster In History
Quote:

ESPN is preparing an offer that would make Tony Romo the highest-paid sportscaster in TV history, with a multi-year deal that would pay him between $10 million to $14 million annually, said sources.

ESPN declined to comment. A representative for Romo could not be reached for comment.

If signed by ESPN, Romo could succeed Booger McFarland as the analyst on "Monday Night Football," said sources. Romo could also potentially quarterback ESPN's NFL game coverage if parent Disney acquires a Sunday afternoon game package from rival Fox Sports, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports during the next round of NFL TV negotiations in 2020-2021.

No deal has been signed yet, and one source said any negotiation for a new contract for Romo might not wrap up until a month or two after Super Bowl 54.

CBS also has a right to match any offers for Romo, according to sources.

The 39-year-old former Dallas Cowboy quarterback is currently making about $4 million annually on the final year of his three-year rookie broadcasting deal at CBS.

Troy Aikman, Fox's top NFL game analyst, makes around $7.5 million per year.

Before returning to the Oakland Raiders, Jon Gruden earned over $6 million a year from ESPN to call Monday Night Football. During the early 1990s, John Madden made $8 million a year.
45-70Ag
AG
My guess is he stays with cbs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Those on this board for years know how much I liked Romo the player. Huge fan. As an announcer though, I do think he's very good but I can also see how he can be annoying to some people listening. He's not for everyone.
boy09
AG
peace
S
Mute is the way to go with Tony, motor mouth in the booth. Same with Booger!
Bregxit
AG
I get the feeling that folks who don't like analysts like Romo and Collinsworth would be happy with just a straight play by play guy and nothing else...or even just silence other than crowd noise. Chris and Tony are excellent at breaking down what is going on and explaining the technicalities of football. Troy is pretty good but he just gets a bit *****y once in a while.
redag06
Tony is great, except when he isn't. Yesterday was a bad game for him. Several times he said a blitz was coming and then the Chiefs sent 3.

There are some guys I like, but Romo's voice is just too much. His pre pubescent voice cracking when he gets excited is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Southlake
^
Absolutely
ORAggieFan
Bregxit said:

I get the feeling that folks who don't like analysts like Romo and Collinsworth would be happy with just a straight play by play guy and nothing else...or even just silence other than crowd noise. Chris and Tony are excellent at breaking down what is going on and explaining the technicalities of football. Troy is pretty good but he just gets a bit *****y once in a while.
Agree. I think most are worthless. Romo and Collinsworth are good. I cringed Saturday when I saw it was Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts. I cannot believe that is considered the #2 team by CBS, shows how awful they are outside of Nantz/Romo.
PatAg
AG
Romo is great unless you are a Texans fan, or any NFC East fan
Southlake
Of course, a Gary Danielson makes a Romo look Emmy worthy....
Seven Costanza
AG
I think Romo is great, but he can get a little annoying at times.

I don't know if it has anything to do with Romo's emergence, but Aikman seems to have stepped up his game in the last year.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.