NFL Overtime - make the team EARN the kickoff

2,999 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Roger Goodell
diehard03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

I think this is fair and would give incentive to teams trailing by a field goal to play for the win in regulation more.

They won't. No coach wants to be at the podium talking about how they gave up a INT in the endzone to lose the game when they were in chip-shot range of tieing it.

Football is the land of second guessing. Coaches are so conservative because this is how they've been trained to be. Look what happens when a coach steps outside that line in the Super Bowl...ie, Pete Carroll.
Hey...so.. um
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I think this is fair and would give incentive to teams trailing by a field goal to play for the win in regulation more.

They won't. No coach wants to be at the podium talking about how they gave up a INT in the endzone to lose the game when they were in chip-shot range of tieing it.

Football is the land of second guessing. Coaches are so conservative because this is how they've been trained to be. Look what happens when a coach steps outside that line in the Super Bowl...ie, Pete Carroll.

But it would give them incentive. There would be a coach who would do this.
ATM9000
AG
Facebook Sucks said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

No.... no coach would do this ever.
Gigem Trevas
Iowaggie said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Iowaggie said:

Add non random strategy: instead of coin flip, let coach's "bid" on how far back they are willing to start. Whatever coach is willing to start farther back gets the ball at that position.

If Chiefs Patriots go to OT, and KC is home team, refs ask each coach for a bid.

If Reid bids own 21.5 yard line, and Belichick bids own 25 yard line, Chiefs get the ball at 21.5 to start game.

Sure, if we are talking things that will never happen. Would you go with a single closed bid, or a name that tune style back and forth?
Single closed bid, delivered by the hottest cheerleader from both teams.

As a secondary award, the refs deem which cheerleader is hottest, and that team gets to take one defensive player off the field of their choosing.
boy09
AG
So we're still talking about this, huh? I've said it once and i'll say it again, we wouldn't be having this conversation if it wasn't the Patriots who won... Change my mind.
Hey...so.. um
ATM9000 said:

Facebook Sucks said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

No.... no coach would do this ever.

You probably thought coaches wouldn't go for 2 when they score a touchdown late in the game when down 14. But it gives you the best chance to win.
diehard03
Quote:

You probably thought coaches wouldn't go for 2 when they score a touchdown late in the game when down 14. But it gives you the best chance to win.

it's not the same concept. Coaches will do that knowing they could tie with a 2pt conversion because it gives them the chance to win on a PAT if they convert (1st time).

A better comparison is down 15. 2 TDs and 2 conversions gives you the win...but coaches will kick the PAT and play for OT because failing the first 2pt conversion ends the game.
Roger Goodell
You guys act like you could do a better job running the NFL.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.