Making punts safer and fewer penalties

955 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PatAg
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Read this article on CBS. Basically, the NFL has been pleased with the reduction in injuries from the altered kickoff rules, and are looking for ideas on how to change punting to make it safer, and to reduce penalties. I'm curious if anybody on here has thoughts

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-will-crowdsource-ideas-to-change-the-punt-as-it-aims-to-decrease-injuries-penalties/

I believe the NFL's stance is that fewer returns = safer. As for reducing penalties I don't think this can be affected much. Penalties on the return team are already pretty severe.

The reward for not returning a kickoff changed from a 20 yard touchback, to a 25 yard touchback when fair catching, whether it's in the end zone or not. I don't think this would work for punts, since a team may be punting from the 50 yard line, and the risk of a return isn't great in that situation of short punts with good coverage anyways.

To be clear, I don't think this is a good idea, but my only thoughts are something like a 10 yard advancement for fair catching. Looks like average return yardage is about 9 yards, so this would essentially be saying no big plays but you're not likely to gain advantage by trying to return it either. The is effectively what moving kickoffs touchbacks to the 25 did. I can't think of anything else that would really provide enough incentive for teams to fair catch more often

Interested in thoughts from people on texags
Squirrel Master
AG
There doesn't need to be any change in the punting rules. Injuries happen way way less often than on kickoffs. The abundance of penalties in on the players. Returns are rare, so its dumb that there are so many penalties.
NoahAg
Instead of punting, the punter should have to walk the ball down to the returner, give him a hug, and say "I'm sorry."
PatAg
AG
Squirrel Master said:

There doesn't need to be any change in the punting rules. Injuries happen way way less often than on kickoffs. The abundance of penalties in on the players. Returns are rare, so its dumb that there are so many penalties.
The main injuries on punts seem to be any time the returner makes a major change of direction, and the animals on the teams cant help themselves and go out to hurt people with blind side blocks.

I think they should allow the punter to catch, take one step, and then punt ( no punt rush). The punting team sends no one down in coverage. The receiving team has one player back who is allowed to either fair catch, let the ball go, or attempt to kick the ball once. The contact with the ball must occur from the knee down, so there is wiggle room but you cant just run into it. Wherever it comes to a stop, that's where the receiving team starts.

This pitch is trademarked.
W
AG
or perhaps more radical...coaches are allowed to agree beforehand that all punts are automatically worth 40 or 45 yards of field position.

so if a team agrees to punt on 4th down from their own 30-yard line...the opposing team will automatically take possession 1st & 10 at its own 30-yard line (a 40-yard exchange of field position without an actual punt taking place).

this rule would/could not apply in the final 2 minutes of each half or when a team is punting from the opponent's side of the field
Agnzona
They should do it like we did as kids. "Yell P for K" and throw the ball.
PatAg
AG
Agnzona said:

They should do it like we did as kids. "Yell P for K" and throw the ball.
Would change from having punters on the roster to elongating the careers of qb's with big arms.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.