Handcuffs

2,084 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gigem1223
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what is the reason or point to "handcuffing" one of your studs to his backup? I keep hearing this and don't get it.

So Sunday I wake up to find that Melvin Gordon is out so I need to grab his "handcuff" Ekert. So I did.

Actually, I had dumped a low-tier guy and grabbed Lamar Miller, but then heard the "handcuff" thing and dropped Miller for Ekert.

Well, Ekert got about 6 points where Miller got 16. My previously undefeated team lost by 6 points. (Didn't help that Sony Michel went out with only 1 point.

So what's the deal with "handcuffs" and why are they a good idea (or are they)?
Floyd Falcon Sr
AG
MooreTrucker said:

So what is the reason or point to "handcuffing" one of your studs to his backup? I keep hearing this and don't get it.

So Sunday I wake up to find that Melvin Gordon is out so I need to grab his "handcuff" Ekert. So I did.

Actually, I had dumped a low-tier guy and grabbed Lamar Miller, but then heard the "handcuff" thing and dropped Miller for Ekert.

Well, Ekert got about 6 points where Miller got 16. My previously undefeated team lost by 6 points. (Didn't help that Sony Michel went out with only 1 point.

My opinion is that handcuffs can be good but not always the best option. In deeper leagues they are more valuable. In a league where you are dropping lamar miller, not as much. I'll give you an example - guy in my league had Melvin Gordon and Ekert on the same team just in case melvin got hurt (ekert would have a lot of value in that scenario) He dropped Ekert last week for Chubb once it was announced that hyde got traded. Chubb is more valuable (as was miller) because he is a solid back and can fill in for any of your other starting backs if needed.

To me it is better to have starting caliber running backs that can fill in for any of your players if they go down. In a 14 team league, you won't find those, and it is relatively hard in 12 team - at which point a handcuff has more value.
Enviroag02
AG
Having Dalvin Cook and his handcuff Latavius Murray has worked out well. I do not have Gordon but did have Ekeler for his standalone value; however, I also dropped him to pick up Chubb. My opponent this week did have gordon so he picked up Ekeler and got screwed because Ekeler is not a feature bell cow runner. He's only valuable as a complementary role player.
Squirrel Master
AG
MooreTrucker said:

In your scenario, you should always pickup and play the best player available. That may have been Miller or EKELER depending on what you thought of those two.

As far as the point of handcuffs in general, when you have a stud running back, you are likely counting on their production to win games. If they get hurt, there is value and convenience in being able to plug in their backup who will know be getting a starting role. Often times during the year, there aren't starting running backs you can just pick up off the waiver wire and play at a moment's notice. The fact that Lamar Miller was available to pick up is asinine, unless you are in a very small league. Handcuffing is a contingency for injuries, not a requirement on who you pick up.
MooreTrucker
AG
Squirrel Master said:

As far as the point of handcuffs in general, when you have a stud running back, you are likely counting on their production to win games. If they get hurt, there is value and convenience in being able to plug in their backup who will know be getting a starting role. Often times during the year, there aren't starting running backs you can just pick up off the waiver wire and play at a moment's notice. The fact that Lamar Miller was available to pick up is asinine, unless you are in a very small league. Handcuffing is a contingency for injuries, not a requirement on who you pick up.
We do have a guy in the league who keeps adding/dropping/trading very weirdly in order to find a "diamond in the rough" or something.
Squirrel Master
AG
That's crazy, even missing one game for injury, Lamar Miller is ranked as either the 28th or 30th RB in the league in all three of the different scoring leagues I'm in. He's a low RB2/high RB3 in any format and should be rostered unquestionably.
ac04
handcuffs should only be utilized in very deep leagues, and even then they are only worth carrying if the backup can reasonably be expected to produce enough to be a viable fantasy asset in case of injury to the starter and the cost to acquire isn't very high (which tends to exclude "handcuffs" that have stand-alone value). bonus if the starter is injury prone.

bad handcuffs (backup has very little chance to match starter production):
malcolm brown or john kelly
wayne gallman
spencer ware
chase edmonds

bad handcuffs (team isn't great at running even with the starter):
alfred blue
mike davis or rashaad penny
chris ivory
jamaal williams
ronald jones

bad handcuffs (cost to acquire too high due to standalone value):
mark ingram
tarik cohen (or jordan howard depending who you think is RB1 here)
tevin coleman prior to freeman injury

good handcuffs (required very little capital to acquire early in season, can produce when starter gets injured):
matt breida (bonus for mckinnon durability concerns)
latavius murray (bonus for dalvin cook durability concerns)
frank gore
TJ yeldon (bonus for fournette durability)
gio bernard

in general handcuffs are usually a waste of a roster spot. you have to pick the right ones and then the starter has to get injured for an extended period for it to pay off. in general, you're better off just taking a player who has a chance at standalone value without needing an injury to get there.
EliteZags
AG
what McKinnon durability concerns?
ac04
his career high in carries was like 150 and many were concerned that he wouldn't be able to handle a full workload. it didn't help that he failed when given the opportunity to be a feature back in 2016 when peterson got hurt, and then again failed to seize that role in 2017 when dalvin cook got hurt. in both those seasons he was frequently nicked up and missing time. the idea tha the was going to come in and touch the ball 250-300 times as a feature back and hold up to that was unlikely and many were high on breida as a handcuff as a result.
Ags #1
AG
Want size league are you in where Ecker was a available?
MooreTrucker
AG
Ags #1 said:

10 teams
Ags #1
AG
wow. every league I am in all 10 team he was either drafted or gone by week 2. Nice pick up IMO. It was one game but he has value especially if gordon misses any more games.
Ags #1
AG
also prior to sunday Miller has been below average at best. And ekeler has 76 points in PPR where miller has 60.
boy09
AG
Ags #1 said:

AND Lamar Miller....
MooreTrucker
AG
I can understand Ekler being available because I had Melvin and don't really believe in handcuffs. I can't, however, believe that anyone would take him in the 2nd round. His performance on Sunday confirms my reticence for handcuffs.

Miller was a surprise and I'm stupid for not grabbing him.
_lefraud_
AG
Is Conner considered a handcuff? I'm carrying both him and Bell right now...which kind of sucks with only 5 bench spots.
MooreTrucker
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Is Conner considered a handcuff? I'm carrying both him and Bell right now...which kind of sucks with only 5 bench spots.
Dont waste a spot in Bell. Not worth it.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Fournette and Cook were my picks at 12 and 13. Yeldon and Murray were my picks in rounds 8 and 10, respectively. That's why you have handcuffs.
DallasAggie0
You are playing in a taco league so probably just don't bother spending any time on it
MooreTrucker
AG
A taco league?
slider676
AG
Iowaggie
AG
What would Rod Smith's value be if Elliott got injured (looking ahead to the playoffs)?

Week 14: Eagles
Week 15: @Colts
Week 16: Bucs

Would he be an RB 2 for any of those games?
Or would he probably just end up being an RB3 or 4, even with Elliott out?

Basically, would you rather roster Rod Smith as Elliott handcuff or a guy like Jalen Richard or Elijah McGuire (who would have a lot more value of Isiah Crowell would get hurt)?
ApachePilot
AG
Cowboys Oline is nothing close to what it was 3 years ago. I don't think Smith would be anymore than an RB3 if you lost Zeke. IMO if Zeke goes down (I have him) you're done. So Zeke stay healthy!!
gigem1223
Iowaggie said:

What would Rod Smith's value be if Elliott got injured (looking ahead to the playoffs)?

Week 14: Eagles
Week 15: @Colts
Week 16: Bucs

Would he be an RB 2 for any of those games?
Or would he probably just end up being an RB3 or 4, even with Elliott out?

Basically, would you rather roster Rod Smith as Elliott handcuff or a guy like Jalen Richard or Elijah McGuire (who would have a lot more value of Isiah Crowell would get hurt)?

Rod Smith definitely. The matchups are nice and he's a talented back (receiving and running).The Dallas OL has made huge strides since changing OL coaches mid-season. While smith won't give you Zeke numbers he'd be a solid #2 imo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.