Quirky rules

3,184 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hey...so.. um
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm playing safety, and we've just pinned the other team at their own 5 yard line. They throw an underneath crossing route, well-blocked, and the receiver is off to the races with a chance to score. Our other safety and I both have a possible angle for the tackle. At the 10 yard line, my teammate is about to make the TD-saving tackle, but the ball-carrier's teammate basically collars him with an obvious hold. As I'm closing in, I can even see the official reaching for a flag. Just as the ball carrier is crossing the goal line, I dive for him and tackle him with a wicked horse collar. He crumples to the ground, and fortunately is not injured. A second flag is thrown.

If I had not committed the horse collar, the holding penalty would be enforced from the spot of the foul (10 yard line), and the ball would be moved back to the 20, resulting in a 75 yard gain. However, because I committed the horse collar, the ruling is offsetting penalties, and the down is replayed. I wiped out a 75 yard gain by committing the penalty.

Did I miss anything?
investorAg83
AG
Good question...that's how I understand it as well.
bdgol07
AG
Isn't horse collar a personal foul? Does that change anything?

If the answer to both is a "no," then I believe you are correct in saying that a penalty negated a large gain
Squirrel Master
AG
Horse collar is a personal foul, and that doesn't change anything. You're understanding is correct.
Agnzona
That's kind of like in the Texan game getting an advantage by making a penalty.
Btw holding on a punt by either team can have some seemingly unjust differences based on when the hold occurs.
94chem
These end of game situations with 80 yards to go always scare me. The defense just has to keep the ball out of the end zone, say if the score is 21-19...But they also have to avoid a penalty. I wonder if you can just hand the ball off to a guy with a gigantic facemask, have him make it to the 50, and get a PF on the tackle. Voila, FG range for one untimed play.
Hey...so.. um
94chem said:

These end of game situations with 80 yards to go always scare me. The defense just has to keep the ball out of the end zone, say if the score is 21-19...But they also have to avoid a penalty. I wonder if you can just hand the ball off to a guy with a gigantic facemask, have him make it to the 50, and get a PF on the tackle. Voila, FG range for one untimed play.

Can you please photoshop this insanely large facemask for me. I need the visual to decide if this is genius or you're drunk.
94chem
Haha. My point was that the defense has to be careful during these lateral plays and weird hail marys not to commit a penalty.
Iowaggie
AG
Facebook Sucks said:

94chem said:

Can you please photoshop this insanely large facemask for me. I need the visual to decide if this is genius or you're drunk.

Maybe it would be better strategy to have a qb wear a helmet that could easily draw a helmet to helmet contact penalty?

PhatMack19
AG
Trying to sack the QB without drawing a penalty

https://www.facebook.com/MEMES.of.the.NFL/videos/942542082622892/
ATM9000
AG
94chem said:

I'm playing safety, and we've just pinned the other team at their own 5 yard line. They throw an underneath crossing route, well-blocked, and the receiver is off to the races with a chance to score. Our other safety and I both have a possible angle for the tackle. At the 10 yard line, my teammate is about to make the TD-saving tackle, but the ball-carrier's teammate basically collars him with an obvious hold. As I'm closing in, I can even see the official reaching for a flag. Just as the ball carrier is crossing the goal line, I dive for him and tackle him with a wicked horse collar. He crumples to the ground, and fortunately is not injured. A second flag is thrown.

If I had not committed the horse collar, the holding penalty would be enforced from the spot of the foul (10 yard line), and the ball would be moved back to the 20, resulting in a 75 yard gain. However, because I committed the horse collar, the ruling is offsetting penalties, and the down is replayed. I wiped out a 75 yard gain by committing the penalty.

Did I miss anything?

Not 100% on this, but I thought you could just decline the second penalty.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Lol
94chem
Any ref care to comment?
BMX Bandit
Why wouldn't offense just decline the penalty?
Hey...so.. um
BMX Bandit said:

Why wouldn't offense just decline the penalty?

I don't think personal fouls are declineable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.