Convince me why I should like PPR

2,348 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ac04 said:

why do PPR guys get defensive? very reminiscent of soccer fans on world cup threads

I'm not even a PPR guy. I just think the hate for something like this is silly.
claym711
AG
Strong strong stench of butthurt from the non-ppl crowd here
boy09
AG
ac04 said:

why do PPR guys get defensive?

This thread started by literally asking people to defend PPR...
mAgnoliAg
AG
Iowaggie said:

BMX Bandit said:

NFL has tracked receptions as key stat forever. Acting like it's the same thing as a rush attempt is dumb

This logic is laughable.

The NFL has also "tracked" completions, rushing attempts, and FG attempts, all of which can be "rewarded" with a point, .5 point, .3 points on ESPN.

It's more laughable to consider that a reception for 0 yards is worth the same as a rush for 10 yards.

It's more laughable that a reception for -1 yards is worth more than a rush for 5 yards.

Your logic is laughable.

It takes no skill to get a rushing attempt or passing attempt.

It takes skill to get open and make a reception.
EliteZags
AG
ac04 said:

why do PPR guys get defensive? very reminiscent of soccer fans on world cup threads
cuz they felt good about themselves when they made a 2yd catch senior year on the JV squad
EliteZags
AG
claym711 said:

Strong strong stench of butthurt from the non-ppl crowd here

yep I guess our butts do hurt from laughing our asses off at how asinine and nonsensical PPR scoring is
ac04
for the record i'm not a "non-PPR" person. i play in leagues with 0, 0.5, and 1 PPR. each has strengths and weaknesses. but based on my experience, full PPR is the worst of the three. i apologize if this offends anyone.
Little Rock Ag
AG
A relevant points formula created with predictive analytics is below. Check out page 9 for the formula:

https://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1418&context=honors
boy09
AG
FanDuel and Draft Kings both use PPR (FD 0.5, DK 1), that should tell you that most people prefer it...

0.5 PPR is definitely the sweet spot imo.
AgEng06
AG
This thread is interesting, so I did a little calculation in my league for week 1. We are a 1 PPR league that also awards return yards.

Top 10 RBs - 305.5 total points (30.6 pts average), 1445 total yards, 13 total TDs
Top 10 WRs - 380.5 total points (38.1 pts average), 1431 total yards, 12 total TDs (including Tyreek's return TD)

It looks like WRs may be over-valued with an average of ~8 pts per player, with pretty similar production overall.

If I remove the 1 PPR from each group (46 recept for RBs, 83 recept for WRs), the average pts per player is cut in half, but WRs are still higher.

Top 10 RBs - 259.5 total points (26 pts average)
Top 10 WRs - 297.5 total points (29.8 pts average)

I honestly don't know what this all means for the argument, just throwing some data out there. Thoughts?

--------
Edit: I guess you can scratch most of what I posted above. I looked at the top 10 at each position over the 2017 season, and RBs were more valuable, and 1 PPR actually brings the averages more in line.

RBs - 3174.7 total points (317.5 average), 15620 total yards, 114 total TDs (81 rushing, 31 receiving)
WRs - 2965.5 total points (296.6 average), 12295 total yards, 66 total TDs (all receiving)

So with 1 PPR, RBs are worth an average of 18 pts per player more over WRs.

Removing PPR:
RBs - 2568.7 total points (256.9 average)
WRs - 2042.5 total points (204.3 average)

So with no PPR, RBs are worth an average of 52 pts per player more over WRs.
OlRock
AG
It's really preference. Some people care that points be more equally valued per position. While others really just accept they're in a PPR format and draft/play accordingly.

PPR just adds another wrinkle in the fantasy game. If I'm trying to win a PPR league, I don't complain about an opponent's 8/33 game because I understand that's how our scoring settings work. I also understand that WRs and RBs that catch a lot of balls are more valuable than RBs who aren't known for catching. You'll only like PPR once you quit trying to make the RB and WR productions equal to your liking.

There are plenty of summaries written that give basic reasons why you MIGHT like PPR all over the internet. This one is from 2014, but pretty much gives you every reason that MIGHT convince you.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47757/71/to-ppr-or-not-to-ppr

1. To increase the number of fantasy-relevant players.

Examples:

"To make more players fantasy relevant which also creates deeper leagues."
"I think it helps make more players viable starting options, especially in larger leagues."

2. To shift fantasy value from RB to WR and TE.

"I would say to level playing field of RBs a bit, also devalues QBs as result."
"Rewards players. RBs that can catch the ball > RBs that can't catch."
"I think the original reason was to increase the value of WR (and TE a little) in relation to RB."
"The NFL is a passing league and standard scoring weighs RB value too highly."
"Originally, it was to balance RB/WR values. Not sure it achieves that anymore, tho. Hence the proliferation of PP1D." (PP1D = Point Per First Down; we'll cover that later.)

3. To reduce the impact of touchdowns, which are less predictable than yardage and receptions.

"Take luck out of the game a bit. Scoring often times luck vs number of receptions."
"To mitigate TD's. The standard system is too TD-centric."
"Puts less emphasis on TDs and more emphasis on categories that carry less variance, thus more predictable and more game of skill."

4. To reward real-world value.

"To give value to WRs that consistently move the chains. In real football 5 receptions for 50 yds is good, but not in standard FF."
"Isolates and rewards the singular essential purpose-fulfilling act of being a receiver of the passed ball: the reception."
"To both further reward volume-heavy WRs and 3-down RBs, and increase the total number of usable players in deeper leagues."
"Increases quality of players. Guys like Sproles/Welker become top 24 while the Mike Wallace's drop in value."
"Give points to those who had an impact on the game, example: catches a few yard catch but it gets a first down."

5. To make things more fun and exciting.

"Simple: it makes it fun. I played in both last year and it's simply just more fun."
"I think it's just an added scoring method to make it more exciting."

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.