Convince me why I should like PPR

2,345 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlRock
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never been a fan of PPR leagues. I just don't get how a WR w/ 8 catches for 50 yards (13 points) should be worth as much as a WR w/ 6-7 catches, 70 yards, and a TD (13 points in a standard league) 3 catches, 40 yards, and a TD. *edit for bad math.

But I'm trying to be open minded, so help me understand the other side.
Ag_07
AG
I think the biggest thing is it opens the door for more WRs to be rostered and played. Player A in your example may not even be worth rostering in a standard league.

Just gives you more flexibility and takes some more creativity in deciding who to roster and play.
Farmer1906
AG
It makes scoring far less touchdown dependent since TDs are kind of random.
ac04
i've played standard, full PPR, and 0.5 PPR. 0.5 PPR is the most balanced.
Farmer1906
AG
ac04 said:

i've played standard, full PPR, and 0.5 PPR. 0.5 PPR is the most balanced.
This is what I want my league to go to. I can't see to get enough support behind it.
ORAggieFan
Your math is wrong.

Main advantage is boosting WR so less gap with RB.

I prefer .5 PPR as well. Best balance.
JayAggie
AG
There are few "STUD" RBs...maybe 5 that you can count on every week. The NFL is going to specialized players depending on situation, why should FF? Makes those 3rd down backs a real option at flex.
Wife is an Aggie
Yupp we do 0.75 PPR and I have always liked it. I despise standard scoring leagues. I won't play in them. They are boring to me. We also do 6 pt passing TDs and I feel like it helps keep all positions pretty well balanced.
bigboykin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It makes scoring far less touchdown dependent since TDs are kind of random.
I think this is the biggest thing to me. Prevents you from getting screwed when Hogan has 9 reception for 90 yds, but Gronk gets all the points off two 3 yd TD passes.
W
AG
not a PPR fan either
Iowaggie
AG
It's idiotic unless the league also does PPPass, PPPunt, PPRush, etc.

It is the perfect type of scoring system for the TPR generation (trophy per participation).
ORAggieFan
May want to take a Xanax.
BMX Bandit
NFL has tracked receptions as key stat forever. Acting like it's the same thing as a rush attempt is dumb
bigboykin
AG
Exactly, maybe fantasy baseball should stop giving points for hits and only give them for homeruns. You don't have to like it, but the sentiment that it's the same as a participation trophy is pretty obtuse.
NoahAg
ORAggieFan said:

Your math is wrong.

Ha, it sure was. Ok, I corrected it. How about:

8 catches, 50 yards

vs.

3 catches, 40 yards, 1 TD

In full PPR those two players earn the same amount of points. To me that doesn't seem right. I could be on board w/ .5 PPR in that scenario.
boy09
AG
ORAggieFan said:

This is the way i've always seen it.
Iowaggie
AG
BMX Bandit said:

NFL has tracked receptions as key stat forever. Acting like it's the same thing as a rush attempt is dumb

This logic is laughable.

The NFL has also "tracked" completions, rushing attempts, and FG attempts, all of which can be "rewarded" with a point, .5 point, .3 points on ESPN.

It's more laughable to consider that a reception for 0 yards is worth the same as a rush for 10 yards.

It's more laughable that a reception for -1 yards is worth more than a rush for 5 yards.

Iowaggie
AG
bigboykin said:

Exactly, maybe fantasy baseball should stop giving points for hits and only give them for homeruns. You don't have to like it, but the sentiment that it's the same as a participation trophy is pretty obtuse.

Not sure you've played fantasy football, but you do know that players are awarded points for advancing the football by rushing or receiving don't you?

Rushing the ball for yards gained is worth points.

A reception for yards gained is worth points.

If you want the comparative equal in baseball, it would be like putting the ball in fair territory is worth a point, regardless if the outcome is a hit or out.

I guess I would like the baseball equivalent to why some hits that end up scored as singles are worth more points than other hits scored as a single with no scoring involved.

What's the baseball equivalent to why a double might be scored less than a single (with no other scoring involved)?

Why is 5 yards gained on 3 receptions worth more than 12 yards gained on a rushing attempt?

bigboykin
AG
This stuff really rustles your jimmies, huh?

It wasn't intended to be as a literal comparison as you took it.

The point was, that a reception, in a similar way to a hit in baseball, is a non-trivial individual accomplishment within their defined position role that may or may not benefit the team in any tangible way, and whether or not is does can be largely dependent upon other team members, game situation, coaching decisions, etc.

So a hit that doesn't advance runners or produce RBIs is still an accomplishment, in that the batter did what he was asked to do effectively, regardless of outcome. Similarly, a receiver who catches a pass has achieved his goal of doing what he was asked to do in the context of the play that was called.

As an example, let's take Spav's third down screen passes to Kirk since you brought up yardage points. CK is asked to step back and catch the pass and then try to find room and advance the ball. The fact that this play was telegraphed, called at inappropriate times, executed ineffectively, and poorly blocked 90% of the time was in no part CK's fault (usually, he did drop some). He did what he was asked to do, and caught the ball and attempted to get YAC. I think a half point is an appropriate reward for that, whether or not he actually gets those yards. Sure, it'd be great if he broke it for 90 and a TD (and he would be awarded additional appropriate points for those accomplishments), but getting open, getting to the place where was asked, and catching the ball is an execution of the play that is worthy of some level of point compensation, IMO.

I won't convince you, and you won't convince me, though I can see your point about the discrepancy for RBs... Maybe they should get partial points just for a carry. I've seen plenty of good RBs with chitty OL work their butts off for no gain. But there is a bit of a difference to me in their fundamental job description that justifies it IMO. RBs get the same 0.5 PPR that WR do on a pass play, after all, regardless of yardage gained.
ac04
agholor's night last night is a perfect example of why full PPR is flawed
Farmer1906
AG
You could say the same thing about Coleman's night. He got 1 run for 9 yards and a TD. But the other 8 carries were for a weak 10 yards. The Eagles held him to 2.1 Ypc but the ended up at a ~10 point night.
Ag_07
AG
It's not flawed it's just different.

He's being rewarded for carrying the workload of the receiving for his team.

Just like it wouldn't be fair to award a player who has one fluke catch for 80 yards.
ac04
if you think 8 catches for 33 yards should be worth 11 fantasy points, i can't help you.
digital_ag
AG
I was a standard scoring advocate for a long time but after switching to .25 and then .5 PPR it's just better imo.

WRs and RBs have closer value, deeper rosters.

Thinking about trying .25 ppc (completion) due to how little value QBs have.
Iowaggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You could say the same thing about Coleman's night. He got 1 run for 9 yards and a TD. But the other 8 carries were for a weak 10 yards. The Eagles held him to 2.1 Ypc but the ended up at a ~10 point night.

This is actually a reason to not do PP anything.

9 receptions (or carries) for 19 yds and a touchdown shouldn't be worth 16.9 points.

But I get it, it's more fun to reward them for "carrying the workload"/participation.
EliteZags
AG
So a reciever that caught 10 balls for 100yds deserves twice as many pts as a rb that rushed 20 times for 100yds?
EliteZags
AG
That reciever could fumble 5 times and still earn as many pts as the rb, totally reasonable
Farmer1906
AG
EliteZags said:

So a reciever that caught 10 balls for 100yds deserves twice as many pts as a rb that rushed 20 times for 100yds?

Deserves? I guess. That's how ppr works.

As a whole the benefit is to become more predictable so skilled players can win and less random due to touchdowns. It also removes the heavy weight on landing a top X RB. There are only so many bellcow RBs and if you're drafting late you never get the chance to compete because of a random draft order.

All and all I think it improves the fantasy game even if you don't agree 100% of why things are valued where they are.
Farmer1906
AG
It sounds like your mind is made up and you don't have an open mind.
EliteZags
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Give any rational explanation defending how the above 2 scenarios make any amount of sense
Farmer1906
AG
EliteZags said:

Farmer1906 said:

Give any rational explanation defending how the above 2 scenarios make any amount of sense

I laid out my opinion above as a whole. You can find flaws with anything. Ppr is far from perfect.
ORAggieFan
EliteZags said:

Farmer1906 said:

PPR is about making RBs less valuable as there are only a few elite ones. It's nit hard to understand. You draft to the rules. This isn't real life, so whatever is set makes sense rules wise.

Does it make sense 70 yards is worth more than a TD? 70 yards can be 0 points in a real game. This isn't real.
mhc06
EliteZags said:

That reciever could fumble 5 times and still earn as many pts as the rb, totally reasonable

EOT PPR is completely idiotic
ORAggieFan
mhc06 said:

EliteZags said:

EOT PPR is completely idiotic

About as idiotic as FANTASY football.
ac04
why do PPR guys get defensive? very reminiscent of soccer fans on world cup threads
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.